Inputting a Two Position Prop

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
lornam1998

Inputting a Two Position Prop

Postby lornam1998 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to P3D. I am currently undertaking a project at university with the aim to create a dataset to model a Scheibe Falke SF25C touring motor glider for incorporation into the university's flight simulator. The aircraft has a piston engine with a two position variable pitch prop.

I am a little confused as to how I go about inputting a two position prop (HO-V 62 Mechanical variable pitch propeller). Looking at the aircraft configuration file page on the P3D Learning Center, the only options for propeller_type are constant speed (0) or fixed pitch (1). The propeller has two positions - take off and feathering. I am wondering whether to input the propeller_type at a fixed pitch and then indicate that a feathering switch is available (feathering_switches=1)?

This is probably a very basic question but, as I say, I am new to P3D so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

lornam1998

Re: Inputting a Two Position Prop

Postby lornam1998 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi guys,

I have continued to look online to see if it is possible to input a two position variable pitch propeller into a configuration file but I haven't found any info on this or found any other aircraft simulation files that include this type of prop. Therefore, I am guessing this wouldn't be possible?

Any confirmation would be great!

I have just entered my propeller as a standard fixed pitch propeller at the moment (neglecting the feathered position).

Ellover Dee

Postby Ellover Dee » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Hello Iornam198:

This is no problem at all, using the native FDE.

Instead of thinking about using the propeller/RPM joystick control axis, think of using the two key commands "high rpm" and "low rpm".

Enter the high and low range information for your prop into the aircraft.cfg like this:

[propeller]
propeller_type =0
beta_max = (enter fine pitch value)
beta_min = (enter coarse pitch value)

To switch between these, simply use the key commands found in the engine key command options as I indicated above.

Of course, the propeller axis control will continue to act as a variable RPM input but you would simply not use this axis when simulating flight in your motor glider. Disable it or set a slight null zone where the slider axis input will not be read by the simulator.

A very simple cockpit gauge could be made to do this with the mouse but key or joystick commands are usually much more convenient.

This will provide you the binary control and simulation you're looking for.

Ellover Dee

Postby Ellover Dee » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:07 pm

BTW, I have a fair amount of real-world experience with sailplanes and motor gliders. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions here. I am very strong on supporting education and training in all respects.

-Ellover Dee

keithrumph

Postby keithrumph » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:14 pm

Instead of thinking about using the propeller/RPM joystick control axis, think of using the two key commands "high rpm" and "low rpm".
Hello! I was wondering whether somebody has checked this method and can tell if it helped. Also, I suggest looking through https://www.science.gov/topicpages/v/va ... propellers to look for the info on a method for sensing and indicating the propeller blade pitch position.

https://customwritingz.net
Keith Rumph

Return to “Simulation Object Development Questions”