Axis data range for SimObject

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
Prepar3DGuy

Axis data range for SimObject

Postby Prepar3DGuy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm

I have registered implementation of SimObject's event method to joystick axis as described in PDK. It says "Axis event data is in the range of +/-1.0." but after user have set "Null Zone" and "Sensitivity" in some values different from defaults the range became smaller and 0 value stayed longer. Setting "Null Zone" and "Sensitivity" in UI override <AxScale> and <AxNull> properties of DefaultControlMap.xml as I know.
The question is how can I get the value of the current settings "Null Zone" and "Sensitivity" for axis using PDK inside SimObject implementation?

Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: Axis data range for SimObject

Postby Clifton Crane » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi Prepar3DGuy,

Unfortunately the null zone and sensitivity values are not currently available through the PDK or any other SDK interface.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.

Prepar3DGuy

Re: Axis data range for SimObject

Postby Prepar3DGuy » Thu May 02, 2019 6:50 pm

Clifton, thank you for fast reply.

After some research with Joystick axis control I ran into additional questions:
1. The behaviour of "native" aircraft on "Sensitivity" and "Null zone" setting in UI differ from property values received by SimObject or SupplementalSystems PEventCallback registered with EVENTTYPE_AXIS or EVENTTYPE_AXIS_NATIVE_OVERRIDE. Null zone for "native" aircraft also affect slope and min/max value are always -1.0/+1.0 for full joystick deflection regardless of null zone and sensitivity. For SimObject version (let me call it) null zone only act as dead zone and output 0.0 and sensitivity value affect scale of input. Slope are function of null zone and scale.
How values <AxNull> and <AxScale> affect actual value from Joystick (assume max resolution 2^14)?
2. Simulation variables of "native" aircrafts (AILERON POSITION for example) shows that "Sensitivity" setting affect the transition function (time constant of aperiodic transfer function). But Help from "Adjusting Joystick Sensitivity" says: "... with high sensitivity, the slightest movement of the joystick will have a large effect on the aircraft's controls in Prepar3D." Can you show how "native" processes data from Joystick axis using settings values?

Thank you so much for SimObject and SupplementalSystems support addition in the SDK, that's a huge step ahead for custom dynamics and system implementations.

Return to “Simulation Object Development Questions”