D3D11 Rendering system Prepar 3d 2.0?

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
benniehanas

Post by benniehanas »

I seen some cool stuff with C3 rendering (Apple recently bought out) and a few others too. I was wondering that with D3D11 enabling better GPU rendering compared to relying mainly on CPU rendering, will it enable more realistic addons for scenery as well as FULLY utalizing a second or third GPU? The scenery with, for example, games like BF3 or Crysis 3 look much more realistic than even Orbx. The 2 exampled games do not represent real cities I know and were only used for examples. People are and will be coming to the table with 500/600/and even 700 series GTX as well as 6900/7900 and 8900 series and above Radeon in crossfire and SLI, or just as one GPU. This is especially true with professional deployments. These new systems can handle much more realism than even the latest games of today provide.

I was wondering how D3D11 will set the stage for Lockheed's developers, and also third parties to really bring more emmersion to the simulator? Flight simulators still live back in mid 2000 graphics wise because of the coding from Microsoft which is a shame especially when many users invested 1-3k on hardware bought after 2007.

I've attached a youtube link of C3 in action as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Smunh6NIQI

maybe things can be taken even farther than C3. FSX is locked back in time, but Prepar is free to continually develop to incorporate the newest technologies.

One final question is will D3D11 utalize more than 2 or 4 cores effectively?
roger-wilco-66

Post by roger-wilco-66 »

Interesting question.

Would be nice if texturing techniques like tesselation (displacement mapping) would be possible. I think this would be an enormous step forward.

I also wonder if it would be possible for P3D to access the much overlooked CUDA math library on NVIDIA cards to offload mathematical operations from the CPU to the GPU.

Cheers,

Mark

gugacarvalho

Post by gugacarvalho »

I would love to see this new engine on P3D ;)
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

We won't be using CUDA because its vendor specific, but we are leveraging Direct Compute which is the D3D11 non-vendor-specific standard for GPGPU programming. Note that the focus here is on performance, so it may not look much different out of the box, but it should provide the development community with a platform capable of much better visuals and/or more complex training scenarios.

Thanks,

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect