Material secondary UV channels

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
iBlueYonder

Material secondary UV channels

Postby iBlueYonder » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:05 pm

I've been reading the SDK, and I see some references to adding a secondary UV channel to the model to be accessed by, say, a detail texture. Is there any more information available anywhere on how this might be accomplished?

I'm specifically interested to know if secondary UV channels can be added to the model at export. It seems you'd have to define them in the x file before compiling to MDL. Also, can the detail texture UV channel be hard-coded into the MDL, or is it only settable via a lua script?

Kevin Cartrette
Lockheed Martin

Re: Material secondary UV channels

Postby Kevin Cartrette » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Hey iBlueYonder,

You can add a second UV channel inside 3Ds Max to any mesh to be used by any texture. The whole process takes place inside 3Ds max if you do not want to do material scripting.

The easiest way to accomplish this inside 3Ds Max is to apply a Unwrap UVW modifier and go to Map Channel. Change the channel to two and select Move, this will move all of first channel UV's over to channel two for modification. There is currently a restriction that UV vertices between channels must match, you should receive errors on export if this is not the case.

To assign a channel to a specific texture, double click the bitmap assignment and assign the correct Map Channel. Map Channels default to one.

Hopefully this helps,
-Kevin.
Prepar3D Graphics Software Engineer

iBlueYonder

Re: Material secondary UV channels

Postby iBlueYonder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks, Kevin, I appreciate the detailed answer. The concept behind my question was to figure out if it would be possible to map the diffuse and AO textures to separate UV spaces per model using two channels. From your answer, I take it this isn't possible at the moment. Still, I'm sure there are other uses I haven't even considered for the new tech. I'll keep studying!

thanks,
Bill Womack
iBlueYonder

Return to “Scenery Development Questions”