[RESOLVED] PBR normal issues

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
Russell Linn

[RESOLVED] PBR normal issues

Postby Russell Linn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:00 am

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue with PBR development?

Create a symmetrical mesh
Delete half and texture it in a PBR workflow (we use substance painter)
Mirror and weld the verts
Export the mesh in to v4.4

Result:
You'll notice that the mirrored half of the mesh (Where UVs are flipped) is lit differently to the rest of the mesh. At first I thought this would just be an issue with mirrored UVs, but it also seems to be the case when rotating UVs. The rotated UVs appear to be lit differently to the rest of the mesh.

Granted, I am a Unity developer when it comes to PBR (Where doing this isn't an issue), so there may be a different set of rules for developing in P3Dv4.4.

So my question is: Is this a bug and to be improved in the future? Admittedly, I'm having trouble creating content with this issue. It's rather restrictive when creating props, buildings and GSE vehicles as it can potentially involve using double the amount of texture space.

Hope that all makes sense!

Thanks,
Russ

Russell Linn

Re: PBR normal issues

Postby Russell Linn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Fixed!

The problem was on my side. I was using a DirectX normal map using the RGB channels. Once I moved to G, B, and A, the problem was resolved!

LimeSim

Postby LimeSim » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Could this be related to this problem reported here?:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threa ... on.445303/

And how could this problem be resolved by removing the Red channel? How is it possible to remove the Red channel only anyway? Once I remove it in Photoshop, it switches the remaining channels to "Magenta", which cannot be converted through imagetool (throws an error).

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:31 pm

And how could this problem be resolved by removing the Red channel? How is it possible to remove the Red channel only anyway? Once I remove it in Photoshop, it switches the remaining channels to "Magenta", which cannot be converted through imagetool (throws an error).
Note that the following applies only to "normal" (bump) textures!

You have Photoshop, so Imagetool is totally unnecessary. Download and install the nVIDIA DDS plug-in:
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-tex ... -photoshop

Before saving to DDS format, open the Channels tab in Photoshop, then copy/delete/paste the Red channels contents the an Alpha channel. The Red channel's contents should be pure black (0,0,0).

Now Save As DDS format. Done!
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Return to “Scenery Development Questions”