Emergency Freq 121.50

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
FSMP

Postby FSMP » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:18 am

I was surprised yesterday, to discover that the Emergency Freq of 121.50 has been assigned to some Airport Positions in FSX/P3D

Admittedly, these are non USA Airports, but I had always assumed that 121.50 was reserved for an International Emergency freq, and was monitored by Satellite, makeing it world-wide. ??

121.5 TOWER

121.5 TOWER JARDINES DEL REY INTL

121.5 APPROACH TEMUCO

121.5 TOWER TEMUCO

121.5 TOWER TIMEHRI

121.5 APPROACH AMMAN APP

121.5 APPROACH CHAH BAHAR

121.5 TOWER CHING CHUAN KANG AB

121.5 TOWER HENGCHUN

121.5 TOWER BAGUIO

Is the above Data from FSX/P3D "Real World" Correct ??

Example:

According to http://www.aerotaino.com/MUCC.pdf (Jepperson) the Tower Freq for JARDINES DEL REY INTL is 118.80, ( not the Emergency Freq of 121.50 )

FSX/P3D has the TOWER Freq set as BOTH 118.80 and 121.50

I ask because it becomes significant if one is developing to simulating Real World Frequencies and their Radio Ranges, especilaly if one is also consideing both Ground, Air and Space communication systems.

Yes, I know there is a massive ammount of Data contained within the Sim, and some errors are inevitable, and this was proabbly quite acceptable, when the product was produced for the Gaming Market. Now that P3D is directed towards the more serious, commercial market, should the Data within P3D be required to be more accurate ?

The above is an very Obvious example of the 121.50 Emergency Frequncy being incorrectly assigned to an Aiport's Tower, and stick out like a Red Flag.

However, this leads one to suspect that there may be far more, less obvious Data error, lurking in the product, which one may want to be aware of.

Geoff

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:52 am

Hi Geoff,

We will keep a note of this one. We are currently looking at ways to update the entire nav database, so we will put this one in the queue for testing once we get the updated data.

Regards,

John

Simon Lyon

Postby Simon Lyon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 pm

On the topic of 121.50 - a COM1 subsystem to actually respond realistically to calls on the guard frequency would be a damn fine addition, given P3D is for real world training.

All that would be needed would be a few new AI voice responses to Mayday and Pan, giving a list of nearest alternates (which are already tracked in FSX/P3D as can be seen in the inbuilt GPS and add-on Garmin/Avidyne instruments.)

Then passing the chosen destination into the routine that already exists for changing destination part-way through a flight plan.

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:05 am

I was not aware that typically (if at all) COM1 Radios had the ability to "Scan" and monitor 121.50, as well as the Freq they are tuned to manually. Nice Idea -- "Maybe", but not realistic.

Ref Wikipedia:

"As pilots are strongly recommended to monitor 121.5 MHz at all times, a common practice[citation needed] is to set a secondary communications radio in the aircraft (often COMM 2) to 121.5 MHz in order to monitor, but not transmit on, 121.5 MHz. A pilot accidentally transmitting on 121.5 MHz will often hear a reply stating that they are "on guard", i.e., that they are on the guard frequency and should switch to the appropriate frequency instead."

Maybe I misunderstood you - maybe you are talking about a more General COM Radio (for either COM1 or COm2, etc) that Responded if one Transmitted (keyed the Mic -- No voice recognition !! ) on Freq 121.50 :)

Thats a very COOL idea.

AI voice responses, while possible, would proably be somewhat restrictive, given the unability of the system, to be able to deal with ANY emergency situation, in a realsitic manner. For that, in Realitic Training, one really needs a HUMAN at the other end.

That being said, maybe we are not far away from reliable Voice Recognition, which would greatly extend the possibilities.

Talking about the inbuilt GPS, what is really lacking from that is the Real world ability to be able to EDIT the Flight Plan within the GPS, (rather than having to edit it externally, and then reload the whole new flightplan back into the GPS). That would be a BIG step in the right direction for Realsitic Training, using the GPS.

Geoff

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:16 am

Geoff, that is simply because the GPS uses the XML scripting system, which has NO ability for file i/o at all.

While it is entirely possible to add script to allow flightplan creation directly, with no ability to save flightplans or load saved flightplans, it's rather pointless... :(

Although I haven't done so (yet), it should be entirely possible to code a helper .dll that would provide such file i/o for XML scripted "gauges."
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi Bill,

Yes, I think we had talked about that about 2 years ago for FSX. Seems neither of us have got around to it. I suspect you might get to it before I do, or maybe Lockheed will ? (hint hint).

Geoff

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 pm

Quote:

Quote from John Nicol on January 6, 2011, 09:52

Hi Geoff,

We will keep a note of this one. We are currently looking at ways to update the entire nav database, so we will put this one in the queue for testing once we get the updated data.

Regards,

John

That task shoud be significantly easier these days, as a lot of that data is now available in aviation computerized databases. I suspect in the early days of FS, much of that data was randomly retreaved from various hard copy sources, and errors occured.

What would be of bebefit to a Commercail FS, is the ability to update the nav databases, in a consistent, and universal way, as they get updated in the real world. Like a WINDOWS UPDATE system, that would update FS, with new data, and maintain everyone up to date in the same world. Hey -- I can dream !!.

Geoff

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Quote:

Quote from SNL on January 6, 2011, 19:52

On the topic of 121.50 - a COM1 subsystem to actually respond realistically to calls on the guard frequency would be a damn fine addition, given P3D is for real world training.

All that would be needed would be a few new AI voice responses to Mayday and Pan, giving a list of nearest alternates (which are already tracked in FSX/P3D as can be seen in the inbuilt GPS and add-on Garmin/Avidyne instruments.)

Then passing the chosen destination into the routine that already exists for changing destination part-way through a flight plan.

So far, I have managed to go some way towards a 121.50 Emergency system, "server side".

If a pilot transmitts on 121.50, they receive an audio reply, which is currently a FIXED, re-generated, message, about the use of the emergency freq.

The response could be somewhat varaible, based on the Emergency Trasponder code, they are currently Squawking. Lost COMS, Emergency, (Hijack) etc.

The main limitation, is the difficulty to generate VIOP audio on 121.50, in REAL TIME, as there is no documentation on accessing the Audio Codecs within the P3D (via Simconnect ?)

A Simconnect "Text to speech" function to send audio VOIP audio to a specided Player's ID, would open up a whole new world in Multiplayer !!

Since there is already some form of Text To speech in P2D (?), even if that could be passed over MP VOIP, that would be a good start, and probably quite easy to add ???

The advantage of Pilot/ATC audio, is the strictly limited vocabuary used with Correct Phrasiology, and most of those words are probbaly already included in P3d.

Geoff

Return to “Miscellaneous”