ILS LOC/G.S. Approach landings

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
golfacce2

ILS LOC/G.S. Approach landings

Post by golfacce2 »

In Lockheed Martin P3DV4.5 flight sim, I am practicing Nav and Auto Pilot Approach landings. Flying the Cessna 172 I setup Nav1 for the Localizer frequency 110.50 at KFLG. The Localizer horizontal indicator (CDI) works great, but the Glide Slop vertical indicator OBI seems not to work until I am within 3-miles of the runway, which by then, I have seconds to line up the landing. Shouldn't the Glide Slope indicator be as sensitive as the CDI indicator from the same distance, about 10-miles? I admit that I am a pilot in training and may not be using the right instrument terminology... So feel free to correct my assumptions.

Also, is there a recommended sim model that provides best sensitivity and functionality for ILS Nav approaches?

Thanks for any help.

golfacce@aol.com
Sky_King

Re: ILS LOC/G.S. Approach landings

Post by Sky_King »

I think the problem is that the approach is a combined ILS/LOC approach (according to Jeppesen) to 21 and when LM designed the airport they may have tried to accommodate the LOC part only. If you feel comfortable with modifying files, you could use Airport Design Editor by Scruffyduck (ADE) and change the GS distance to 10.2 miles (according to the app plate).

Good luck!
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

golfacce2 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:56 pm In Lockheed Martin P3DV4.5 flight sim, I am practicing Nav and Auto Pilot Approach landings. Flying the Cessna 172 I setup Nav1 for the Localizer frequency 110.50 at KFLG. The Localizer horizontal indicator (CDI) works great, but the Glide Slop vertical indicator OBI seems not to work until I am within 3-miles of the runway, which by then, I have seconds to line up the landing. Shouldn't the Glide Slope indicator be as sensitive as the CDI indicator from the same distance, about 10-miles? I admit that I am a pilot in training and may not be using the right instrument terminology... So feel free to correct my assumptions.

Also, is there a recommended sim model that provides best sensitivity and functionality for ILS Nav approaches?

Thanks for any help.

golfacce@aol.com
@ golfacce2 ,

KFLG ILS21 G/S ok APR 10200 feet FLG D10
P3Dv4.5HF3
Alabeo PA31

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
golfacce2

Post by golfacce2 »

Sky-King and Martyson, I really appreciate your feedback and recommendations. Thanks

Golfacce@aol.com
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ golfacce2 ,

You are welcome.

Additional information, quick test:

As far as I can tell KFLG approach LOC G/S is correct [no edits required] in P3Dv4.5HF3.

The LOC and G/S is active some 19NM out (screenshot).

If you have any problems when you re-fly the approach please include a screenshot of your panel.
How to Post Screenshots (by Chris Metel):
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 98#p238598

KFLG ILS or LOC 21
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)