I just wanna fly

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
jhaley101

I just wanna fly

Postby jhaley101 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:02 pm

Contstant and regular CTD's and everything in between that's posted here from a lot of long list of users to these forums. Runtimes, device hung are two at the top of my list. But the list is lengthy and its growing.

I'm fully supportive of all of the great advancements and I appreciate this version is unlike previous ones. But man, v5 (HF2 included) is truly a work in progress. About the only way I can get the sim to run without crashing is to do nothing but load and fly it vanilla.

I think it's disappointing more than anything.

Can anyone from LM speak to the larger picture of the road ahead. HF's are great, but a 5.1 or something to address a myriad of concerns or something to acknowledge the list of concerns from a larger perspective. I mean, I get it. So a lot of users have loaded programs that weren't/haven't been tested with v5 but is LM in some form of communication with developers about the road ahead.

Last night as I drifted off to sleep, I honestly thought it might be best to go back to 4 and when the dust settles here, come back again. Way too much dust right now. But I'm trying to think of a reason not to go back. Please, no (more) general debugging suggestions....just looking for some encouragement I guess.

The subject line sums it up.

JorgenSA

Re: I just wanna fly

Postby JorgenSA » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:04 am

I just wanna fly, too....

There is obviously some kind of road ahead, but you really cannot ask a company to reveal its business strategy, considering there are other players in the field..

What you can do:

1. Ensure that your system's BIOS and system-level drivers are up to date,

2. Update to Windows 10 v. 2004 if you haven't already done so, and

3. Update your graphics card drivers to the latest level.

The above will also (supposedly) make your system run better.... ;-)

In addition to the above, I have tuned my Windows 10 by removing the bloatware that comes with it (games and "apps" (apps like it was a damn telephone) that I do not want or need), and disabling "features" that I do not want - Cortana and the features reporting my behavior back to Microsoft comes to mind.

Just my bent nickel's worth -

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

jhaley101

Postby jhaley101 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:00 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jorgen.

I know you've been answering a ton of forum questions and posts, but believe me.....not interested in LM's business strategy.

Done all four of the suggestions here, yes including the windows services fine tuning. But no luck.

I'm thankful we have a v4 to return to until this is settled. Perhaps not ideal, but at least it gets me back in the saddle.

Yes, there are many with v5 running well, and I say good for them. There are a LOT of users who aren't saying the same.

rjord

Postby rjord » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:26 pm

The main issue I have with Prepar3d V5 is memory issues and to counter those messages that come up I modify my display settings to lessen the load on my gaming laptop.

If I use the TrueSKY option in V5 then I get memory issues with the Aerosoft A320 professional and P3D crashes. This I fixed by going into the panel file for each airbus and disabling TrueGlass until the issue is fixed.

//gauge67=TrueGlass!Core,0,0,1,1

Not sure what issues you are having with V5 but you have to look at if the issue is to do with P3D V5 or with a 3rd party software who has to update their product to work in V5. PMDG and Ultimate Traffic Live are examples of products not yet officially supported in V5. If you have got them working in V5 by other means perhaps something in the way you did it is causing the errors.

With my example above with the airbus, I turned off TrueGlass for the airbuses while trying TrueSKY..... but this means no rain on the windshield effect. So I turned off TrueSKY and reenabled the TrueGlass feature in the airbuses.

Not sure what each of the issues you are having. I would suggest starting with P3D V5 as a fresh install with no addons at all. If you have no errors load in one 3rd party software at a time and test it thoroughly until you work out which software causes the crashes.

Hope that helps.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:20 am

Rjord,

Allow me to quote:

"I would suggest starting with P3D V5 as a fresh install with no addons at all. If you have no errors load in one 3rd party software at a time and test it thoroughly until you work out which software causes the crashes."

Amen to that.

That is how it should be done, and this is where I suspect a lot of users fall down, just piling add-ons on ad libitum, without checking each one for compatibility before purchase and install, and/or for full functionality after installation of each and every single add-on.

Thanks for putting this into words -

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

miraclemax

Postby miraclemax » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:19 pm

V5 works fine for me. Anyone who has been simming for any length of time knows that flight simulation is a work in progress; hence the updates.

In any case, check these attributes:
1) FSUIPC - make sure autosave is off
2) Dynamic trees/veg - off
3) V-sync - off

max

jhaley101

Postby jhaley101 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Rjord,

Allow me to quote:

"I would suggest starting with P3D V5 as a fresh install with no addons at all. If you have no errors load in one 3rd party software at a time and test it thoroughly until you work out which software causes the crashes."

Amen to that.

That is how it should be done, and this is where I suspect a lot of users fall down, just piling add-ons on ad libitum, without checking each one for compatibility before purchase and install, and/or for full functionality after installation of each and every single add-on.

Thanks for putting this into words -

Jorgen
No one ever questioned the age old advice of starting any simulator fresh and working forward from there. Flight sim 101. So really that type of support is not needed and like your latest response to Rjord, truly offers nothing of value.

Curious, why is there a HF and a second HF which detail errors and crashes which stemmed from the point of original release. Check out the "what's fixed in HF2" and count how many times the words "crash" appears. Wait until 5.1 comes out, if it is ever does, and see how many problems and issues it addresses.

Your position of support is "users and developers: figure out what your doing wrong." Based on that worthless response, we're all lucky P3d makes Hot fixes at all. We should all simply recognize, after spending hundreds of dollars here, that WE are the ones responsible for any problems and crashes that stem from v5 use.

Clearly, your closing really should be "thanks for putting this into words that I wanted to hear. If that's what it takes to make you feel good about supporting customers, your standard of support is very low.

With every day that brings us closer to mid August, I know exactly why v5 was rushed out the door.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:38 am

Since you apparently have a very high standard of tech support, as well as a high opinion of yourself and a corresponding low opinion of others, then why aren't you active in offering your sage advice here?

Jorgen

PS: Let's just see what exactly is is that is coming out on August 18... if you think there's going to be no issues with that....

Solu

Postby Solu » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:55 am

Of course it will have issues to fix but I bet the support is going to be better than here. In addition MSFS2020 will become the first option to fly.

I appreciate everything that prepard3d did for us over the years. But it is time to take advantage and enjoy the new technology now that we finally have it available

Regards.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:20 am

Of course it will have issues to fix but I bet the support is going to be better than here. In addition MSFS2020 will become the first option to fly.

I appreciate everything that prepard3d did for us over the years. But it is time to take advantage and enjoy the new technology now that we finally have it available

Regards.
@ Solu ,

Just wondering:

Which aircraft and airports do you fly in P3D?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Return to “Miscellaneous”