View Groups Tutorial for P3D v3.3

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: View Groups Tutorial for P3D v3.3

Post by Beau Hollis »

Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Mark, I followed your tutorial with great success , also used Beau xml and works well, one thing in your Tut is that you indicate that the .xml files are in C:\Users\UID\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3, instead they are in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 ..
Prepar3D_v3_Academic_3.4.18.19475

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
ammarmalhas

Post by ammarmalhas »

I have already posted this question on Avsim looking for help, so those of u on both forums pls excuse the repetition.
So, quick question if I may:
I am using 1 17" LCD monitor for the Instructor station and my normal Windows work, and 3 projectors (on a cylindrical screen) for P3D external view. My Windows Screen Resolution setup page shows all 4 displays I arranged (LCD at top and 3 projectors at bottom). The LCD is shown as number 1, the left projector is #4, the middle projector is #2 and the right one is #3, not sure why this is the case!
Now in P3D v3.4 in View Group Management there are DisplayID numbers under the Configuration tab/line and also under the 3 view lines in the view group tab/line that refer to the displays, should these numbers be the same used in the Windows Screen Resolution Setup page or what?
I also will be using Fly-Elise Immersive Calibration Pro to produce the viewgroup.xml file and Immersive Display Pro to do the warping.
Can someone pls tell me more about the DisplayID numbers and they should be? Do I change what IDP outputs?
Thanks.
rvw

Post by rvw »

Excellent piece of work, you are to be applauded
Very many thanks for making it so easy.
ACPI x64 Based PC
Windows 7 Prof.
Intel Quad CPU 2.34 GHz
6 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD7900 3 GB graphics RAM
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

Excellent doc

Given the difficulty of setting a perfect viewpoint in a cockpit (without crabbing) I have set up 2 viewgroups, one for if the left side is pilot flying and one for right side. The viewgroups are called Capt and FO respectively.

I can switch between each view by right-clicking on P3D and selecting Viewgroups/Capt or FO.

I would like to assign a button to do this. Can someone let me know the simplest way to do this? I have fsuipc

Best
Charles
unc1rlm

Post by unc1rlm »

Thank you for your tutorial. I copy and pasted the xml into the view group xml into viewgroups in the program data xml and thr roaming xml..Is that right or just goes in program data. If so..is the roaming one just the default that came with p3dv3. If I have screwed up one or the other..can I delete and p3dv3 will rebuild it? Hope you aren't lost lol.

Now my question.. The viewgroup is almost perfevt for me. I have 3 23" hp 2310m monitors. In the far left monitor..the horizon (if I can call it that) is slightly higher than the center and right monitors..how do I get it down just a hair?

I know there is a difference between the groups xml and the p3d_group virtCockpit.fxml. How do I set up so I can be in the cockpit and see things as oppose to just flying in an outside view? I have tried LCD PanelDesigner Pro and Immersive Display Pro but I can't get anything right so back to square one and trying this View Group business.

I am using 3 ungrouped displays and not NV Surround or Matrox TH2go. which I have but everything distorted that way. If I go back in a cockpit spread across three monitors can I use ChasePlane to make the views I want or what,

Thanks for any help.

Bob M.
axsdata

Post by axsdata »

Mark
I can't thank you enough for your tutorial. I've been fighting the multiscreen problem for a year. This finally got me right were I needed to be. It restored my faith in P3D. Not only did it fix my multiscreen problem, when I link the views in this way I got an immediate FPS boost. The boost averaged between 5 and 8 FPS which made all the difference in the world in some scenery dense areas.

Your tutorial was very well written and covered all the bases. One of the competitor sims whose version is 11 has incorporated this into a slightly more user friendly screen. But no matter now. P3D has what I've been looking for.

Now I am working on how to create different views for different planes as they are all physically a bit different.

Much obliged
Tom Campbell
MHargrove

Post by MHargrove »

unc1rlm wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:43 pm Thank you for your tutorial. I copy and pasted the xml into the view group xml into viewgroups in the program data xml and thr roaming xml..Is that right or just goes in program data. If so..is the roaming one just the default that came with p3dv3. If I have screwed up one or the other..can I delete and p3dv3 will rebuild it? Hope you aren't lost lol.
Very sorry, but I'm really not understanding your question here.
unc1rlm wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:43 pm Now my question.. The viewgroup is almost perfevt for me. I have 3 23" hp 2310m monitors. In the far left monitor..the horizon (if I can call it that) is slightly higher than the center and right monitors..how do I get it down just a hair?
The first things I would do is (1) verify that you absolutely didn't make a typo in the frustum definition. When I've set up a view group with all of the correct values and something looks screwy I've pretty much always found I had a typo in one of the values I typed in. Even a tiny difference (like typing in 19.3124 instead of 19.3142, for example) will cause alignment to be slightly off); (2) this may seem dumb, but it's bitten me more than once -- make sure your monitors are physically aligned, including the height! I went nuts a couple of months ago because my right-45 display wasn't aligning vertically (the horizon line was tiny bit low). I looked at looked at my numbers but then finally noticed that the monitor itself was tilted a little bit so that the left side was lower than the right side. It was on a fixed stand, but it was crooked anyway. I shimmed the stand a little one the low side and everything is now perfect.
unc1rlm wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:43 pm I know there is a difference between the groups xml and the p3d_group virtCockpit.fxml. How do I set up so I can be in the cockpit and see things as oppose to just flying in an outside view? I have tried LCD PanelDesigner Pro and Immersive Display Pro but I can't get anything right so back to square one and trying this View Group business.
Again, sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. You're after a virtual cockpit rather than a cockpit-free external view?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
aifeliciano

Post by aifeliciano »

After a short hiatus, I went back to a single monitor. So what is the easiest way to remove Vie Groups from P3D v3?
aifeliciano

Post by aifeliciano »

aifeliciano wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:45 am After a short hiatus, I went back to a single monitor. So what is the easiest way to remove Vie Groups from P3D v3?

Disregard. I got it. Just followed the document steps in reverse.
max8908

Post by max8908 »

Hi
I am trying to access the tutorial and the link says the dropbox is no longer in use, can anyone send me the link to the tutorial compiled by Mark to set up View groups

thanks in advance
jsrickel

Post by jsrickel »

max8908 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:06 pm Hi
I am trying to access the tutorial and the link says the dropbox is no longer in use, can anyone send me the link to the tutorial compiled by Mark to set up View groups

thanks in advance
I, too, am trying to access this Dropbox link to no avail. Is there another place to get this?

Thanks!
taybuck

Post by taybuck »

Hello Guys
Have been following this post hoping to find the holy grail.
Nothing is easy.
I am using FlyElise ICP and IDP.
I have three HD projectors with a 220deg curved screen.
I had it working well with Warpalizer but only with single stretched screen.
Decided to switch and try the View Group method. After two weeks of cursing and frustration like everyone,I finally achieved three nice views. But they are all the front forward view,i am close.i have played with the fulstrums enough to wreck everything lots of times.
Hoping i am one step away from flying.
Any help?
Gary
taybuck

Post by taybuck »

I figured out my problem if it helps anyone.
I had the wrong display ids in the fulstrums.
Quick fix and I have three decent views now.
balaramalan

Post by balaramalan »

Can you please resend the tutorial?

Many thanks