To v3 or not to v3....

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
robmypro

To v3 or not to v3....

Post by robmypro »

I currently have v2.5 running well on my system. I am debating making the switch to v3, but I don't know if it makes any sense right now. For one thing, I am running 3 monitors (3,840 x 1024) using nVidia surround. Am I going to have troubles with that in full screen? I have seen some posts about fish eye distortion.

I am also running ASN, Orbx Global/Vector, and the A2A C182. My system is a 4770k running 4.0GHz (tried higher OC, no luck), with a GTX770 2GB card. Windows 10 x64. I am not experiencing OOM issues, and performance is pretty solid at 30fps with enough eye candy turned on.

Is there any reason to upgrade right now?
OldAirMail

Re: To v3 or not to v3....

Post by OldAirMail »

I had strong doubts too. But trust me - get it.

If you haven't already, watch this -> PREPAR3D V3.0 - NOT JUST A BUG FIX
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Full screen should behave the same. Distortion is inherent in wide views. Some users are more sensitive to it than others, and the FOV depends on your camera zoom, and monitor aspect rations. I suspect the users seeing issues in v3 would see the same issues in v2, but please do correct me if that is not the case. As for your main question, of course we believe that we have added a great deal of value to v3, but we also believe that v2 is a solid product. One thing to consider though, is that minor releases are free upgrades. If you're not planning on holding out for v4, buying v3 now will allow you to get more use of out it.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
robmypro

Post by robmypro »

Thanks for the info Beau. I do not see any of the fish eye issues in 2.5, and I do not run wide views, so maybe it is a non issue for me. That is good to know, and helps lean me in the "get v3" direction.

Thanks again.
dons

Post by dons »

One question. Will version four be 64 bit. I have moved up with every release and feel V3 will allow me to fly the PMDG 737 from one major airport to another without running out of memory. That is my only complaint with version 2.5, and to me version three will be worth another $200.00 to solve this issue , as the first two renditions have given me great value as a student pilot. But given that I have every ORBX and other major sim addon to enhance realism for my training, (VFR Cessna 172M) , I will wait for version four should it be within several months as the major cost is not the Simulation but the loss in addon sceneries as I chose not to run two LM programs at one time. I look forward to your reply. And I assume Track IR will also work with this rendition as does my Cessna 172 (SAITEK) cockpit. I note that version three also has improved frame rates.. Thanks ...Don
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

My V2.5 is running very well with zero problems. I have never had OOMs, get good FPS, and all my add ons work. I am still reading too many glitches with V3 and my favorite aircraft, the Majestic Q400 has issues with V3, so I am sticking with 2.5 for a few months until some of these bugs are fixed with patches. If it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it.
robmypro

Post by robmypro »

bobsk8 wrote:My V2.5 is running very well with zero problems. I have never had OOMs, get good FPS, and all my add ons work. I am still reading too many glitches with V3 and my favorite aircraft, the Majestic Q400 has issues with V3, so I am sticking with 2.5 for a few months until some of these bugs are fixed with patches. If it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it.
I am with you, Bob.