Texture: Ocean Wave

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
miraclemax

Texture: Ocean Wave

Postby miraclemax » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm

The apparent size of the wave representation as seen from cruise altitude, e.g. FL370, is unrealistically large. This same effect is seen on rivers when sunlight hits them at certain angles. IMHO this destroys the 'immersion'. Sliding water adjustment all the way down eliminates the huge textures and makes the ocean featureless, which actually looks better.

This has been a problem starting with FSX .

Thanks for your attention,
max

Martyson

Re: Texture: Ocean Wave

Postby Martyson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 pm

The apparent size of the wave representation as seen from cruise altitude, e.g. FL370, is unrealistically large. This same effect is seen on rivers when sunlight hits them at certain angles. IMHO this destroys the 'immersion'. Sliding water adjustment all the way down eliminates the huge textures and makes the ocean featureless, which actually looks better.

max
Max,

Which P3D version are you currently using?
Do you have some screenshots or a video of the problem?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

nivag78

Postby nivag78 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:21 pm

max
Also I want to add that since the size of the wave representation is too large it cause the program to freeze time to time. I don't think it's related with my system since I'm using a powerful one so I was thinking maybe some of the texture sizes could be optimized. Also houses in Greece are loading very slowly which might be related with the same problem.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:24 pm

max
Also I want to add that since the size of the wave representation is too large it cause the program to freeze time to time. I don't think it's related with my system since I'm using a powerful one so I was thinking maybe some of the texture sizes could be optimized. Also houses in Greece are loading very slowly which might be related with the same problem.
@ nivag78,

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Biggles2010

Postby Biggles2010 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:53 pm

It hardly requires a screenshot to illustrate the oversized waves and ocean swell in P3d 4.5 and v5. Just look at any section of any ocean, or any inland river or lake from about 5000 ft altitude. A 30 ft swell on every lake and river in calm conditions is not very realistic. It's been commented on many times before.

MPO910

Postby MPO910 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:01 pm

The OP is right. Waves look like big ocean waves regardless if you fly high, low or over a river, sea, lake or ocean. Compared to ocean waves look the river or creek waves much to big. River does not shake up that much like a big ocean. This effect is indeed very unrealiatic and has to be improved. Waves that look the same size all over the globe regardless how big the water surface is is not representative anymoree.

P3DV5HV2
I9 10900K
Titan RTX 24GB
lates Windows 2004
Latest nvidia drivers

MPO910

Postby MPO910 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 am

H are some images of the waves where you can see that regardless the size of the water surface, waves are always oceanstyle big and also regardless of hight you are viewing from. Look at KMIA small river with way to oversized waves

Return to “Miscellaneous”