Could we get an update on SLI support?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Juicehead

Post by Juicehead »

We are now rolling into version 2.5 and still no sign of SLI support. You guys keep pushing the blame on nvidia dragging their feet. Could you guys maybe follow up and possibly get an update?
ncp10

Post by ncp10 »

I'd be thrilled if they just published where they are going in more detail w/ P3D. 2.5 appears to be an update that addresses few concerns of the average joe, and moreover 2.3 & 2.4 were arguably the same, hence I stopped going thru the time intensive ritual of do a complete install of hours worth of add ons, only to discover little to nothing has materially improved. Throw in vertical clouds, overcooked HDR (ahh, I think there's some reduction in nighttime HDR so that's nice), and it really doesn't seem to be worth the time. 2.2 actually works quite well so looks like I will end up standing pat yet again. One gets the sense LM doesn't seem to listen to much of anything in this forum or on AVSIM, at least at the moment which may be a good sign they are really focused on a big next significant release. 64-bit release will hopefully be what most folks here would care about, and maybe by then they will have solved some issues w/ nVidia support for DX-12 and SLI. Fortunately for now it's still a decent platform to play with, no I'm sorry I didn't mean that, to study & with ;o)
WBard

Post by WBard »

We don't push blame. Please use other, more respectful words to ask your questions. Simply asking the question in your thread title was sufficient.

We are working with NVidia still to get a Prepar3D profile added to their drivers. We believe we have the development complete on our side, but we need a driver profile to activate for their drivers. They, as you can imagine, are extremely busy.
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Wes,

"They, as you can imagine, are extremely busy"

I think we can all read between the lines while at the same time admiring your seemingly boundless patience with a company which must be the source of immense frustration for your development team. We who invested in a dual card setup certainly share that frustration. Please, it would be helpful if you could confirm that NVIDIA are actually spending time on this requirement or are they, as we suspect, far more interested in providing profiles for the likes of "Goat Simulator"?

Regards,
Mike
mgh99

Post by mgh99 »

I imagine that NVIDIA's interests will follow the money.
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Mike,

I guess you didn't believe my posts about working with nVidia so now you don't believe LM's Project Manager for P3D? Wes just did confirm.

Wes works for LM not nVidia so he has no authority to decide nVidia's work schedule nor any ability to force them into communications ... I think that was pretty clear in his post.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
RossG

Post by RossG »

WOW! It is not LM's fault you spent money on 2 video cards. I used to have 2 video cards and so little supports SLI or crossfire it is a waste of money. Maybe if you don't like LM's time frame you could go write your own flightsim software and make it exactly as you want it. Problem solved.

Or you could be patient ans see what happens and be thankful a company even bothers to make software like this.
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Rob,

With all due respect, it's not about whether I believe what I am being told. You and I both know how long this matter has been dragging on. What Wes stated is little different to Beau's response to the same question a few months ago. We are told repeatedly that LM are working with NVIDIA still to get a Prepar3D profile added to their drivers. Perhaps an explanation as to why this is taking so long, when NVIDIA seems to have little trouble providing profiles for other popular titles, would help to discourage posts like mine. I've no desire to ruffle feathers or rattle cages unnecessarily, but from what we have been told it seems pretty clear who is actually responsible for these seemingly interminable delays and, quite evidently, it ain't Lockheed Martin. We don't know why NVIDIA appear to be dragging their feet over this. Perhaps it's a technical issue or perhaps they are finding the challenge just too difficult. Who knows? We certainly don't and that lack of knowledge and understanding is what breeds impatience and frustration.

Regards,
Mike
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Ross,

Not very helpful nor constructive. In fact LM were very hopeful about the implementation of SLI several versions ago. I suspect many of us purchased an additional card on the strength of this expectation. Of course I am delighted we have a company like LM who are prepared to invest considerable time and effort developing Prepar3D and, without any doubt, to date they have done a great job. My beef is not with LM since they have stated very clearly that their development work is completed where SLI is concerned. I simply want to know why NVIDIA appear to be holding things up. After all, I do own a couple of their cards so do feel there is some justification for asking the question.

Regards,
Mike
ncp10

Post by ncp10 »

Wes, 'We believe we have the development complete on our side,'

This is the sort of stuff that's useful to read because it has the potential to shut down the rumor mill to a degree. The piece that your team believes they have completed the development puts the ball a little more in NV's court, plus it respectfully lets LM's user base know they care to keep them informed. I appreciate it and I'm sure others do as well. Keep them coming ;o)

The other area that would be really nice to know is what sort of potential upside LM sees in the behavior we can verify where the simulator get's quite CPU limited on today's strong hardware, for example in complex scenery, 3rd party detailed airports, w/ complex aircraft. This seems to imply adding SLI won't help so much, and this is my main concern. I would consider investing in SLI, but right now it seems doubtful it will help deal w/ the CPU limiting issue which is hugely important to me. Can you speak to that Wes?
RossG

Post by RossG »

Do you think somehow if you ask it will magically happen? Did you see me mention your name? Do you go through your whole life thinking everything is about you? I was referring to the topic creator. It gets old coming on forums and seeing people demanding this and hurry up with that. You get it when you get it and no amount of bugging the developers ever helps. When SLI is ready you will see an announcement. Let them work on the problems at hand before they introduce new features that could potentially exacerbate the problems people are already seeing.
rick66

Post by rick66 »

Would it not make more sense to actively voice your concerns on the Nvidia forum, Ear bashing LM about this issue will not get results.
Saldo

Post by Saldo »

LM depends on NV to make a profile.
Most of us understand that.

Imho it is frustrating that we, having spent lots of money on modern hardware, cannot use SLI , something most of the games on the market are using already for many years.

And with each new version of P3D we hope that NV will finally bring out a profile for us.
But with the last couple of releases of P3D nothing happened.

And with each new NV driver release we hope that a SLI profile for P3D has been added.
And with the last couple of releases from NV nothing happened.

We know that NV has making a SLI profile on the list.
The only question is if they can succeed in that and where are we on their waiting list...
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Saldo,

Exactly! However, I would say that while we are being told repeatedly that LM are "working with NVIDIA to get a Prepar3D profile added to their drivers", that is not the same as saying that NVIDIA are actually doing anything about it...yet. It may be that "working" simply means the occasional polite request to give this matter their attention. In view of the undoubted interest in SLI, to me, it does appear odd that LM still seem reluctant to elaborate on this statement by confirming that, where NVIDIA are now concerned, this is now a work in progress. This apparent reluctance is bound to stimulate the rumour mill and encourage much negativity in the community. All I am requesting is we receive some clarification and, hopefully, provide reassurance that this will actually happen sooner rather than later.

Rick66 has suggested that perhaps posting over at the NVIDIA forum would be more appropriate. I have done so via GeForce Experience as have several others over the past few months, but NVIDIA are unresponsive. However, it does seem likely that someone at NVIDIA may have an interest in flight simulation and, assuming that to be the case, will certainly be aware of sites like Avsim or Prepar3D. Therefore it does not seem unreasonable to voice our concerns here as well in the hope that they will be noticed.

I am sure we all are very appreciative of everything LM have done to make Prepar3D the de facto flight simulation of choice. Arguably, the proper implementation of SLI may prove to be the icing on the cake thereby allowing many of us significantly more headroom within the running sim. Knowing that everything that can be done has been done to prepare for the introduction of SLI I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for the Development Team when the SLI profile from NVIDIA is such a long time coming.

Regards,
Mike
ncp10

Post by ncp10 »

"Arguably, the proper implementation of SLI may prove to be the icing on the cake thereby allowing many of us significantly more headroom within the running sim."
Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I am on a SB-E chip, HT enabled, AffinityMask of 4092, overclocked to 4.424Ghz, and am using GTX Titan. What I find is that the sim becomes CPU limited (evidenced by the main thread running at 100%, 10 terrain loading virtual cores varying between 0 and 100% depending on demand) in the sort of scenarios where you would find yourself flying out of in bigger aircraft, and hopefully in very complex aircraft like the upcoming T7 release for P3D from PMDG. I'm running very easy to process tubes right now, for example CS Super MD80 which is ultra easy on performance demands, and QW757 which is a bit harder on performance. Flying out of something like KLAX w/ FTX Global only running, I might seem frame rates of 27 or 28 give or take, pretty smooth flight overall. But the kicker here is the while CPU has clearly hit the wall, using GPUeze I'm seeing my GPU lugging along at 48% of peak utilization, and this is corroborated by lower GPU temp, under clocking presumably because of lower demand. The real issue here which is where P3D V2 varies from FSX is that it is very difficult to impact this by changing sliders, which I interpret to mean most sliders will impact GPU more than CPU, and my GPU is apparently more than adequate to cope w/ what the CPU feeds it.

I can't see how SLI helps this, and I have yet to hear an argument as to how it might help this in real meaningful well, i.e. in terms of 'icing on the cake'. What do you think? Because of this, I would not prep myself for SLI in P3D until there is some solid evidence this somehow changes the picture.