P3D AND MOTION SYSTEMS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
otdoglover

P3D AND MOTION SYSTEMS

Post by otdoglover »

Hello, everyone.

I'm searching for advise on how to tune P3D V 5/6 to get every last drop of performance out of it. In our 737 simulator, we use P3D with a 6DOF motion foundation.

I'm searching for assistance in lowering P3D settings so that it runs as smoothly as possible. To drive our motion system properly, the motion base requires approximately 120 FPS, which is equivalent to a 120HZ data rate.

The visual in our sim is handled by a client PC, therefore the visual quality on the server PC communicating with the motion base is meaningless; there is no need for any visual on it at all.

I tried running P3D in "panel only" mode with a blank panel so there are no instruments to simulate or visuals to display; it works better, but even with nothing in the P3D window, the frame rate stutters as you move through scenery sections, especially when approaching airports.

I've been using P3D/FS since the early 1990s, so I'm quite familiar with graphics slider settings, etc., and have them all set to minimum, but I'm wondering if there are any additional things that can be done in the.cfg files to strip back P3D to the absolute minimum (without screwing it up!). For example, can it be configured to run without loading any graphics or airport objects at all?

We've been using the motion system for over a year, and it works well with P3D in general, but stutters and pauses are a problem when using a motion system. Any stutters or pauses in P3D translate to large physical shudders in the motion system as the motion base controller waits for data from P3D; these shudders are very jarring in the cockpit and can ruin the simulation, and they can't be good for the motion base either.

If anyone knows of any parameters in the.cfg files that can be modified to reduce P3D to its very minimum, I'd appreciate it if you could share your opinions.

Thank you for any assistance in advance.
JorgenSA

Re: P3D AND MOTION SYSTEMS

Post by JorgenSA »

Here's a couple of pointers that may help you out, if you haven't tried them already:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/prepar3d ... ation.html for v. 5

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv6/prepar3d ... ation.html for v. 6

https://simmershome.de/prepare3d-v5-einstellungen/ This one is in German, but there is an English-language option.

I have been using these with good results. Let us know how it goes -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Rom73

Re: P3D AND MOTION SYSTEMS

Post by Rom73 »

Thanks very much Jorgen, I'll give those a try.