V5: ATC-windows crash VCRUNTIME140.dll

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Matty21

Re: V5: ATC-windows crash VCRUNTIME140.dll

Post by Matty21 »

Have you installed the latest version of c++
airbader

Post by airbader »

Matty21 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm Have you installed the latest version of c++
Yeah, I've uninstalled/reinstalled both x64 and x86 versions about 50000000 times now.
Matty21

Post by Matty21 »

airbader wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:33 pm
Matty21 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm Have you installed the latest version of c++
Yeah, I've uninstalled/reinstalled both x64 and x86 versions about 50000000 times now.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -downloads I downloaded this one fingers crossed it’s working download the 3 bits
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Matty,

Get all of the packages available, both the x64 and x86 versions.

After you have finished installing, run Windows Update, and make sure that under Advanced options in Update the switch "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" is set to On.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Matty21

Post by Matty21 »

JorgenSA wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:46 am Matty,

Get all of the packages available, both the x64 and x86 versions.

After you have finished installing, run Windows Update, and make sure that under Advanced options in Update the switch "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" is set to On.

Jorgen
I’ve already done it so far no more vcruntime140 errors. I put it up for the other person.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Good to hear things seem to be working now.

Happy flying -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Matty21

Post by Matty21 »

Another one of these tonight is it to much to ask for a stable sim 🤷🏼‍♂️
Sabretooth78

Post by Sabretooth78 »

1. Have you experienced this error with a default install and no add-ons installed?

No.

2. What kind of sound hardware and driver version are you using (i.e. Realtek, etc)?

Realtek (on speakers)
Plantronics RIG800HD headset
nVidia High Definition Audio and speakers on a monitor are disabled.

3. What screen resolution are you running at?

3880 x 2160

4. Have you tried turning off all add-ons and adding them back one by one?

Most occurrences have been with a limited set of add-ons activated - in the most recent specific case, ORBX Global, FSDT KJFK & GSX, LVFR KMSY, Drzewiecki NYCx, ActiveSky, RealTurb, Envtex, SODE.

5. What version of Windows 10 are you running (i.e. 190x, 2004, etc)?

6. What version of vcruntume140.dll are you running?

More info:

I recently rebuilt my sim PC (Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 2080 Ti) and installed P3D5 HF2 clean on a clean install of Windows 10 2004. Several casual test flights and the first three Virtual Airline flights were uneventful - the later incidentally using the PMDG NGXu and with block times of 2:32, 2:25 and 3:36.

Most recently, I have tried 4x to complete a KJFK - KMSY flight using the feelThere E190 (which according to the developer is nominally v5 compatible and a hotfix is in the works). To date, all 4 attempts have ended in CTD (all with the same flight plan, start time, aircraft, etc.). 2 have occurred while accessing the GSX menu - once requesting jetway undock (attempt 1) and another requesting pushback (attempt 4). Attempts 2 and 3 ended at roughly the same location along the flight path, in descent, about a half hour from landing at KMSY (roughly between BUGLE and GPT). Attempt 2 ended with a DGXI error dialog, whereas Attempt 3 bombed out without the dialog but a subsequent Windows sidebar "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" notification. Perhaps incidentally, the attempt 2 and 3 crashes occurred sometime shortly after accessing (and closing) the ActiveSky simconnect window to get the landing METAR.

All 4 crashes are shown in Event Viewer with the oft-cited .NET runtime framework v4.0.30319 error immediately followed by the vcruntime140.dll error.

I did try some tweaks which had been reported favorably between attempts 2 and 3, such as the tdrdelay and tdrlevel registry keys, along with reducing P3D settings (particularly max texture size and AA). Between attempts 3 and 4 I reinstalled the entire 2015-2019 C++ packages, ran FSDT live update, cleared shaders and rebuilt prepar3d.cfg. I will attempt the same flight tomorrow but will make an effort to refrain from opening GSX or ActiveSky. I don't typically use the default ATC.

Also incidentally, the first of the PMDG flights (2:32 block), I did use the default ATC and did not experience a crash. I did keep the window open for the entire flight, however, so it was only opened once and never closed.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Martyson wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:23 pm
Sky_King wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:37 pm
Martyson wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:24 pm @ Sky_King

Here : https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=15
(vcruntime error p3d v5)

You mentioned the problem was fixed for a week but then returned.
I asked a few questions (last post in thee topic) but you had not replied (yet)?
Are you using Saved flights to re-fly or creating new flights each time?
Do you use Time acceleration (2x , 4x etc) during your flights?
Do you re-boot PC between flights?
Have you tested a new flight using a default LM aircraft and without using Add-ons ?
Sorry I missed your questions -- I have a default scenario which has my most used aircraft configured. Then I virtually always use the default flight planner to plan my flight. So generally it is a new flight.

Good question -- yes, I use time acceleration for flights over 600 miles or so.

If P3D crashes, then I will reboot. I'll try rebooting before my next flight and see if that has any effect.

IRT your last question, no but I should.

Again, sorry for the delay in responding.

SK
@ Sky_King ,

"I have a default scenario which has my most used aircraft configured."
What is it?

For testing it is best to:
not use a custom default scenario flight setup.
Just use the default LK flight (F35A at KRND).

No time acceleration.

Always reboot PC between tests.

Always do a test flight using a default LM aircraft and without using Add-ons
@ @ Sky_King ,

Follow up?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

airbader wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:31 am Aaaaand it happened again tonight. Aerosoft's EGLL/PMDG 747 and opening the GSX window.

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 5.0.31.35253, time stamp: 0x5eebf566
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.26.28720.3, time stamp: 0x5e74aeb1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000137b
Faulting process id: 0x1b40
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65d5b8ec0ab17
Faulting application path: D:\Prepar3D V5\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: a1d387e2-4003-4cdf-a06c-2a003ee18b74
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
GSX is the problem here then. It's a known issue.

Why don't people learn how to read error codes of software and what they actually mean?

Exception code: 0xc0000005

This means MEMORY_ACCESS_VIOLATION

A piece of software behaved badly and accessed memory it had no business accessing. It's POOR SOFTWARE. Find the culprit, and report it to the developers (if they care).

Rebooting the computer is generally pointless and serves no useful purpose. The way Windows operates now, just a log off/log on is all that is required.
All comments and opinions are my own.
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

Zhuravell wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:08 am
Sky_King wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:04 pm According to the Beta rumor mill (I can't divulge how I know this), LM is aware of this problem but cannot reproduce it on their default install. So, it seems we will need to do some detective work to see if we can figure out what the issue is. Here are some questions (feel free to add to the list):
1. Have you experienced this error with a default install and no add-ons installed? Yes I have, randomly, when I open the ATC window.
2. What kind of sound hardware and driver version are you using (i.e. Realtek, etc)? Sound Blaster Audigy Rx, generic Win10 drivers
3. What screen resolution are you running at? 1920x1080
4. Have you tried turning off all add-ons and adding them back one by one? No. The crash can happen just opening the default ATC window. I see it more often when bringing up GSX's simconnect window.
5. What version of Windows 10 are you running (i.e. 190x, 2004, etc)? Win10 x64 2004 with all latest updates, Russian system locale
6. What version of vcruntume140.dll are you running? 14.26.28808.1 for both x32 and x64.
>> RUSSIAN SYSTEM LOCALE.

Try setting the locale to US English and see if it crashes. It could be a bad application that can't handle wide character sets properly leading to the memory access violation (most non-Western character sets are wider than ASCII so they will occupy 2 or 4 times more memory than the ASCII equivalent, which if not allowed for in buffer allocations, can lead to buffer overrun and memory access violations).

>> I see it more often when bringing up GSX's simconnect window.

GSX has known problems with memory handling as they do bizarre things outside of the SDK and break stuff. You need to complain loudly to them to fix their software. It's a known issue.
airbader

Post by airbader »

GSX has known problems with memory handling as they do bizarre things outside of the SDK and break stuff. You need to complain loudly to them to fix their software. It's a known issue.
People have already brought this to Umberto at FSDT. He says it's an LM issue, and that they're investigating.
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

airbader wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:30 pm
People have already brought this to Umberto at FSDT. He says it's an LM issue, and that they're investigating.
Strange...no-one else is using the ATC window?
airbader

Post by airbader »

EllipticCurve wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:45 pm
airbader wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:30 pm
Strange...no-one else is using the ATC window?
The crash can happen just opening the default ATC window, but it happens more often with GSX. This doesn't necessarily point to GSX, though, because it can just be exposing an issue with SimConnect. Kind of like how GSX exposed an issue with the terrain data when people were getting CTD's when flying over Labrador in Canada. GSX "fixed" it by removing the exposure, but the issue still remains in Lockheed's court to fix.
Perfectflight

Post by Perfectflight »

VCRUNTIME140 ERROR
IF ONE OF YOU MAKES THE ERROR, IT CAN HELP SET TEXTURE RESULATION TO 1024X1024.
THIS CHANGE I DIDN'T HAVE ANY CRASH.
AN ADDON REPLACED THIS SETTING AND WHAT HAPPENED - CRASHED