Turn off governor on turbine powered helicopter

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
mcoligny

Post by mcoligny »

Greetings,

I'm starting to play with a turbine powered helicopter model (AS350) and am trying to turn off the rotor RPM governor. In the R-22 I can turn off the governor and adjust the throttle and collective separately getting the rotor to over/under-speed. In the turbine model turning off the governor doesn't work. I can hit ctrl+F1/ctrl+F4, but the automatic throttle control will override the inputs. I can see that controlling the throttle does work if I hold down the keys, but I don't really want to be fighting the governor logic all the time.

I cannot find anything in the aircraft .cfg file that says anything about the governor being active/inactive.

I've commented out all the gauge logic to make sure something wasn't interfering there. Are turbine helicopters unable to be un-goverened? If so how is this accomplished. I only have an AS350 model to play around with right now.

Thanks
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Simple answer is ...No..... you cannot operate the Turbine Helo ungoverned. You have to create your own engine model using the Piston Helo as a template.

Out of interest which AS350 model are you using?

Jim
mcoligny

Post by mcoligny »

I'm testing the Nemeth Designs model. If the throttle is updated at 18 hz as a part of a C++ gauge plugin that may be enough to fight the auto-throttle.
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Quote:
Quote from Yon on June 23, 2014, 17:18

.............. If the throttle is updated at 18 hz as a part of a C++ gauge plugin that may be enough to fight the auto-throttle............

It's worth a try but it may create a huge processor load and cause micro stutters, definitely worth trying though.

Jim
mcoligny

Post by mcoligny »

Nope, for some reason setting the prop pitch doesn't affect the throttle through a gauge or plugin. It looks like I may have to build my own engine model based on the R22 for an AS350... Poo.
mcoligny

Post by mcoligny »

Turns out the best way to fudge it may be to set the TURB ENG CORRECTED N1 variable with a plugin. The sim will let you set the N1 value. The auto-throttle will still fight to keep the N1 at the properly goverened state, but if you set the corrected N1 at about 20 hz then the N1 will stay within about 1% of your target value. Of course I will have to manually model the behavior of N1, but at least it will work and without a hit to FPS so far as I can tell.