P3D V3 and V4 installed together

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
mac2244

P3D V3 and V4 installed together

Postby mac2244 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:10 am

Just about to get my subscription to v4 and had a few questions for those that have already done it.......

1)I certainly want (initially at least) to keep my v3 installed alongside my v4 (I install my v3 currently to my C: drive although think I will need to install my v4 to my M drive for space reasons) - what is best way to install v4 - will I be forced to install it to the same drive as my v4 or does it not matter?also assume to keep both v3 and v4 (for the moment) would need to purchase x2 licences? - also guess I will need to download and install the full v4 version?

2)In terms of installing add ons - such as the realair stuff has anyone managed to do it yet? (seems there is an add on feature/configurator in the sim that might you do it?)

3)Still a bit confused about how my orbx scenery will transfer over - seems once I install by v4 I then need to update my FTX 3 to the latest version this then lets me install my scenery into 4 automatically I assume? but will my v3 still be supported or will it lose all its orbx scenery?

Any other tips about maintaining v3 and v4 together are appreciated.....

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: P3D V3 and V4 installed together

Postby Beau Hollis » Wed May 31, 2017 2:54 am

1) V3 and V4 can be installed side by side. Generated files are placed in different locations, so your configurations shouldn't conflict. They are separate products, so you would need a valid license for each product to run them both. It should not matter what drive either is installed on. (Some addon installers may assume the standard location is used, but there are usually ways to work around that).
2) We do provide a method for add-on configuration system. Add-ons built for this system can be enabled/disable from the UI in the sim. Add-on content can be placed on a separate drive if configured properly. Many addons use custom installation methods, so you will have to check with the specific add-on developers to see what add-ons will work in v4 and how or if you can dual install v3 and v4 versions of an addon.
3) You should probably post this to the Orbx forums.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

mac2244

Postby mac2244 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:42 am

1) V3 and V4 can be installed side by side. Generated files are placed in different locations, so your configurations shouldn't conflict. They are separate products, so you would need a valid license for each product to run them both. It should not matter what drive either is installed on. (Some addon installers may assume the standard location is used, but there are usually ways to work around that).
2) We do provide a method for add-on configuration system. Add-ons built for this system can be enabled/disable from the UI in the sim. Add-on content can be placed on a separate drive if configured properly. Many addons use custom installation methods, so you will have to check with the specific add-on developers to see what add-ons will work in v4 and how or if you can dual install v3 and v4 versions of an addon.
3) You should probably post this to the Orbx forums.

Thanks
Beau
thanks for the reply.........couple other final question does the v4 support VR natively (if yes how would you enable it? and what settings would you use - or is there preset VR settings) and does the v4 support SLI either in 2d or VR mode (if yes would you need to select specific profile in the NVidia control panel to use it or do you simply enable SLI)

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Wed May 31, 2017 10:44 am

VR is supported naively for the HTC VIVE and Oculus Rift. If the headset is installed and plugged in, Prepar3D should detect it at start up. Once detected, you will see a Virtual Reality camera catagory in the right click context menu. Switch to the VR Virtual Cockpit, or VR Cockpit camera to use VR. No specific settings are required, but you'll want to tune settings down enough to get a 85/90 FPS for the best VR experience. I believe SLI should work with VR. Note that when using multiple GPUs, you need to have the main apllication window on a monitor that is plugged into the same GPU as your headset.
Beau Hollis

mac2244

Postby mac2244 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:17 am

beau
thanks have it installed and up and running now and will give the VR a try (getting good fps even with high settings) - one thing I couldn't get work in 2d is the track ir? (should it work and how do you enable?).

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Wed May 31, 2017 11:58 am

I believe track IR provided their own plugin. Now that we are 64-bit, you may need an updated version. Please check with track IR support for details.

Thanks
Beau Hollis

Durand Johan

Postby Durand Johan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:36 am

Hello guy's , so if I installed it on thesame drive than P3DV3 there will be no problem?
Best regards
Johan

Poppet

Postby Poppet » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Hello guy's , so if I installed it on thesame drive than P3DV3 there will be no problem?
Best regards
Johan

Hello Johan

Yes you can Install Prepar3D v3 and v4 on the same drive, of course once there in separate folders

For example: D\ Prepar3D v3, Prepar3D v4

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”