Started Yesterday

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
flynby

Started Yesterday

Postby flynby » Sat May 06, 2017 6:29 pm

I wanted to open up P3D v3. I clicked the P3D icon. I clicked the Load button. Window pops up: Do you want to exit P3D.
I select no. My choice to select a favorite saved flight never comes up. This happens every time I try to get into P3D. As I say, this just started yesterday. Any suggestions?

flynby

Re: Started Yesterday

Postby flynby » Wed May 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Also noticed today if I open P3D, select change airport, and let airport open; then select Scenario and Save; P3D gives black screen and closes. Do I need to uninstall program and then re-install?

Today is now 5/17/2017 and I have heard nothing from any kind of tech support. Will this update 3D v3.4 *maybe* fix the problems I am having? Does Prepar 3D have their own uninstaller? I did uninstall but seems I get same files back after I restart computer and then reinstall. Would appreciate some help here. Thanks

Poppet
Lockheed Martin

Postby Poppet » Wed May 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Hello flynby

Before you Uninstall and Reinstall Prepar3D, Try this step

Delete the 3 blue Prepar3D v3 generated folders below, These folders will generate again when you launch Prepar3D. This will temporarily remove your Add On's.

Launch Prepar3D and test to Insure all is good again

------------

Local Disk (C:) ► ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3

--------------

Note: To find these folder, Insure the box is Ticked for Show hidden files, folders and drives in File Explorer Options

Let me know how you get on and i will talk you through connecting your Add On's back in again
Elaine Dixon
Prepar3D® Forum Global Moderator

Installing, Updating & Uninstalling Prepar3D-----------General Debugging Steps-----------How to Post Screenshots

flynby

Postby flynby » Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm

I realize how busy you are. Just wonder if you had time to read my PM dated May 8, 2017? I see now there is a upgrade called 3D v3.4. Is there a charge to upgrade to P3D 3.4? Would this solve my problems trying to load a saved flight and being asked if I am sure I want to exit P3D? I find it surprising when I reinstalled P3D, all my uninstalled downloads and so forth came back.
Really hope we can work this out. I enjoy Prepar 3D v3.
Thanks for your time. Have a good weekend.

MHargrove

Postby MHargrove » Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 pm

What Elaine is getting at with her instructions to you is that that a configuration file -- and there are a LOT of them -- may have gotten corrupted. Some of the config files are read before you even get a chance to interact with the UI; some of them are read after you interact with UI and make choices (like to load a saved flight, or move to a different location). Some of that configuration information MUST exist or the simulator can't run -- it's so important that if certain configuration or data files are missing, Prepar3D will generate new files with default information in them.

The configuration files contain lots of data the simulator needs, including the locations of where other configuration files, DLLs, executables, add-ons, and so forth are. LM wants us to be able to uninstall the product (in preparation for an upgrade, perhaps) without losing all of that information. Thus, when you uninstall P3D there are many config files that it will NOT remove in order to preserve things you've modified (or added) to your installation.

After uninstalling Prepar3D you need to manually remove (or rename) the folders Elaine referenced in her post if you truly want P3D to "forget" that it was ever installed. Those folders are all examples of configuration and data files that P3D can (and will) regenerate on it's own (putting default settings and values in them) if they're missing at startup.

Since P3D must have those folders, Elaine's suggestion is a standard troubleshooting step: revert to the plain, vanilla "brand new install" configuration to see if that "solves" the problem. You don't have to actually REMOVE the folders, you can just rename them. For example, when I'm troubleshooting an issue I'll do something like rename C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3" to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3-original" (and similar with the other two referenced folders), then launch P3D again. If the now-vanilla P3D starts normally I know my issue is a damaged/corrupted file in one of those folders.

Your issue is almost certainly -- in the 99.9% probability range -- a corrupted file somewhere.

There is no charge, btw, to upgrade from P3D v3.3 to 3.4 and there are numerous sources of good information on your options for how to do that upgrade.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO

flynby

Postby flynby » Thu May 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Good day Sir. I agree with what you are saying. Found this written by member vekant dated 10 May 2017:
In the forum under Other Support Questions, there is a subject called load... quit yes or no. He has the same problem I do. He discovered a corrupted aircraft.cfg file. I do not understand what he revered too as a level d? How does a person find which cfg file is bad, I wonder?

flynby

Postby flynby » Fri May 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Well, I tried it again with no luck. I deleted these files; Local Disk (C:) ► ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3,
Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3, and Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3. Re-started the computer. Same issues: Cannot *Save Flight* - Cannot select *Load* without getting message asking if I really want to exit P3D. This time during the startup, I did not get my version of the dlgsplash_academic.bmp. I did get the default version. So I felt this would be a clean reinstall. So where do we go from here? Willing to try almost anything. Thanks for the patience.

MHargrove

Postby MHargrove » Sun May 21, 2017 2:37 am

If, indeed, your issue is also a corrupt aircraft.cfg file none of the folder deletes you did will help. There is an individual aircraft.cfg file associated with each individual aircraft (in the Sim Objects/Aircraft/<aircraft name> folder). Those files cannot be simply deleted -- they cannot be regenerated by Prepar3D.

There is one more set of config files you might try moving/removing: Move any files in your Documents\My Prepar3D v3 Files to some other place (or just delete the files there unless you have a saved flight you want to preserve). That folder is where saved flights go, and it's possible something is corrupted there.

If that doesn't do any good, I'd completely remove Prepar3D then ensure all of the folders Elaine reference are removed, and also your Documents\My Prepar3D v3 Files is removed -- then do a full reinstall.

And if THAT doesn't work, you're probably looking at a complete rebuild of your PC with a fresh installation of your OS.

The one thing I can assure you of is that P3D v3.4 does work. The issue you're having is not a typical experience.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO

maxam

Postby maxam » Mon May 22, 2017 3:43 pm

I do not understand what he revered too as a level d? How does a person find which cfg file is bad, I wonder?
The user is referring to Flight 1's Level D 767 Simulator. It was updated recently to work with Prepar3D for the first time. Often the sim will crash with an offending .DLL or other error, one can find which error may have caused a crash be viewing Windows Event Viewer.

A simple way of repairing most issues is by deleting the files that Elaine had pointed out above.
|Robert Halmich|
HiFi Sim Tester - AS2012 - ASN - AS2016 - ASCA
Vancouver, British Columbia

Return to “Other Support Questions”