New computer is a joy

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Stratocruiser

New computer is a joy

Postby Stratocruiser » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 pm

I don't usually advertise for anything that I use, but this is just too good to keep to myself.
My computer was 7 years old and had a speed of 3 GHz with an GTX 660 Nvidia card. It ran ok with a lot of Orbx scenery installed and the sliders for the most part set at the middle, or slightly to the right. I experienced the occasional stutters, etc that everyone complains about, and sometimes unexpected crash to desktop stuff. Then I started getting a shutdown with the message that my graphics card had shut down for unknown reasons.
Went to Best Buy and bought what is advertised as a "Gamer" computer. It is a iBuypower model BB931. I had never heard of the company, but I am far from a computer geek. The Best Buy guy recommended it for the money I wanted to spend. The brief specs are:
Intel Core i7-7700K Quad Core 4.2 GHz (4.5 GHz Turbo)
Nvidia GeForce GTX1080 *GB
16G GB DDR4-2400MHz
240 GB SATA Solid state Drive (C drive)
1 TB SATA III Hard Drive (D drive)
Liquid Cooled CPU
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
12 Months Standard Warrant Service
Lifetime Technical Support ( I did call them once with a question and they answered right away and the call center is in the USA)
Right out of the box, plug it in and turn it on and load P3D V3.4 and it blew my mind haw fast it loads and how smoothe it flies. I have P3D and the OS on the C Drive, and have all my Orbx scenery on the D drive (after Nick here showed me how to do that), linked to the P3D program on the C Drive. I can run with ALL sliders maxed out to the right flying the Manfred Jahn C-47 V3 out of KSEA runway 34 R out over those pesky red cranes at the port that I used to have removed from the scenery and over the city with frame rates locked to 22 and it is rock solid at 20 FPS all the way. If I run with unlimited FPS it runs in the 40's to 60's with all that scenery going and Active Sky running. Shadows, clouds, and all, there are no pauses, stutters, etc., even in tight turns down low over the city.
The only thing I might do is have the Geek Squad put in a larger SSD.
If you are in the market and don't want to get involved in building a computer, I highly recommend you try this one. Don't but the model BB930 as it has less horsepower for our needs. Buy the one I did, model BB931
Howard

zap737

Re: New computer is a joy

Postby zap737 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 am

What monitor are you using?
What resolution is your monitor set to?
Asus Z 170-AR | Intel i7 6700 K @ 4.8 GHz | GTX 1080 TI | 32 GB 3200 DDR4 | Windows 10 x64 | TIR 5 | TM Warthog H.O.T.A.S | 4K Monitor @ 30 Hz | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU | FreeMeshX | VRS Superbug

Return to “Other Support Questions”