Helicopters

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

There is a "category" entry within the aircraft config (category=) that is annotated either "airplane" or "helicopter". When it is annotated as "helicopter", as with the R22, I am not able to assigned the R22 model to a person's online MP aircraft via FSINN. When I attempt to make the association P3D crashes with the fault module of ai.player.dll. If I assign a fixed wing aircraft to the same MP aircraft everything works great. I have tried changing the category designation from airplane to helicopter within the r22 aircraft.cfg file, but that causes serious problems with the functions of the R22 and still doesn't allow use of the R22 texture for assignment to MP/online aircraft.

What do I need to do to associate the R22 with an online MP's aircraft? Or, is P3D just not configured at this point to allow use of helicopters in a MP/online environment?

Best Regards,

Danny
minime

Post by minime »

There is no AI for helicopters, which means you cannot create an helicopter as an aircraft as long as it is tagged as a helicopter. (does that make sense? :P)

Ok, in Prepar3d there are two ways to use an SimObject, you can either create it as an object, or an aircraft (aircraft as in: a flying object that has all the required properties for ATC, so it could be a helicopter as well).

Helicopters in Prepar3d have to be created as objects, because Prepar3d does not properly handle helicopters as AI. FSINN probably is not doing it correctly and does not know about the Prepar3d bug, so it is triggering it by accident.

You CAN use helicopters in online multiplayer, but due to a bug (or you can call it a missing feature if it sounds better) helicopters will be without animations and look really, really bad in Prepar3d.

I do not know FSINN myself, so I do not know what they are doing, but FSINN probably has to be corrected to work with helicopters. And it is not completely trivial.
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Thanks. Your explanation make good sense. FSINN works with helicopter very well actually. I have used it with helicopters for years on Hovercontrol with full animations and resolution. So, as I thought, the problem actual lies with P3D. Thanks again for your explanation. Hopefully, LM with consider adjusting P3D to better accommodate helicopters in future revisions.

Best Regards,

Danny
minime

Post by minime »

To make it clear, I was only talking about AI, so if YOU are flying a helicopter that is not a problem. The problem is just when other players fly helicopters and those are then send and displayed via an injection client that uses a certain way to inject aircraft.

And again, I have not personally used or seen FSINN, so the problem may be somewhere else. I can just tell you that there is a general problem with helicopter injection.
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Got it. I knew what you meant. And, indeed, the situation you described is what I am talking about. The injection problem.

Danny