High CPU usage at rest (Windows Host Process Rundll32)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
jabloomf1230

Post by jabloomf1230 »

See spirit_66's post above. If all else fails, try disabling all three tasks listed under the Windows Task Scheduler for the Application Experience. The Task Scheduler is located at:

Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools

Then within the TS, browse to the Library\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience and disable (not delete):

AitAgent

ProgramDataUpdater

StartupAppTask

If you notice any odd OS behavior (you shouldn't) just go back and enable all three tasks.
TomTheGeek

Post by TomTheGeek »

Quote:
Quote from jabloomf1230 on September 13, 2014, 22:11

See spirit_66's post above. If all else fails, try disabling all three tasks listed under the Windows Task Scheduler for the Application Experience. The Task Scheduler is located at:

Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools

Then within the TS, browse to the Library\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience and disable (not delete):

AitAgent

ProgramDataUpdater

StartupAppTask

If you notice any odd OS behavior (you shouldn't) just go back and enable all three tasks.

This has nothing to do with aeinv.dll, but rather a different dll, aepdu.dll.

I had less times with the process opening, but it as still eating up my processor and I had to manually end it.

I've been doing my own research on the bug, where I uninstalled Prepar3d and called up the command, and surely enough it finished doing it's thing.

I reinstalled the software (Prepar3d) and now I let it run since 1AM, still hasn't quit on it's own...until ~12 hours later!

12 hours! Best way to solve it (for now) is to let it run until it exits on it's done. It's not hanging because CPU usage is the same as if Prepar3d isn't installed.

jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel »

Quote:
Quote from ipaxton on September 12, 2014, 11:23

It still shows up even if you opt out of the user windows experience.

Sounds like the "Big Brother" effect.
TomTheGeek

Post by TomTheGeek »

Quote:
Quote from jimcarrel on October 7, 2014, 20:08

Quote:
Quote from ipaxton on September 12, 2014, 11:23

It still shows up even if you opt out of the user windows experience.

Sounds like the "Big Brother" effect.

It's the strangest thing. After installing another program it kicked on again and stalled.

I renamed the dll to aeinv.dll.old for now until something is done about this.
mikeob

Post by mikeob »

:(
dude1220

Post by dude1220 »

I have the same problem after upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4 and have been pulling my hair out for the past 3 days! Not sure if this problem is caused by 2.4 upgrade or Windows 8.1. Tempering the default scheduled task seems more like a temporary hack than a real fix. Hope this will be resolved soon. For now, at least I can stop wondering why that rundll32.exe keeps running.

mikeob

Post by mikeob »

:P
dude1220

Post by dude1220 »

Quote:
Quote from Elmojo on October 8, 2014, 04:27

Sorry dude1220 I might not of understood all this. I am still running Windows 7 64 bit. I did not realise your were having to hack things. What are you hacking exactly.

Mike (Elmojo)

Somehow upgrading Prepar3d to 2.4 causes a runaway dll consuming CPU time indefinitely in my windows 8.1. The following link seems to fix the problem:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-52/index.js ... 3D98A.html

As Greggy_D has pointed out, the problem seems to be with Windows 8.x only, so your Windows 7 is safe.

mikeob

Post by mikeob »

TomTheGeek

Post by TomTheGeek »

Quote:
Quote from Elmojo on October 8, 2014, 06:14

Ha ha! Got it. Just out of interest as a help you along. I agree a fix would be good. However, I use Turbo Boost that closes all these things down before I launch P3D2.4. Not a proper fix I know but it might help you guys running on Windows 8.x

Mike (Elmojo)

As in that program that gives you a gamer boost? Turbo Boost is a completely different subject (quick overclock boost for Intel processors), but I see what you mean.

It's definitely a Windows 8.x bug but it wasn't a problem until Prepar3d v2. I don't remember FSX or Prepar3d v1 triggering anything like this (it is indeed related to this game, only stalls when I have it installed.)

I disabled those tasks in the URL dude1220 posted above, hopefully it solves my issue with this so I don't have to keep my aeinv.dll named to aeinv.old!
mikeob

Post by mikeob »

TomTheGeek

Post by TomTheGeek »

Urg, disabled the tasks in the URL and it didn't help at all.
McMaster

Post by McMaster »

Can anyone test if this is also happening with Windows 10?
jabloomf1230

Post by jabloomf1230 »

Actually, there are few more hidden versions of the Application Experience/Customer Improvement Program that are not triggered by the Windows Task Scheduler. Windows Media Players has its own version:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-cus ... ia-player/

as does Microsoft Office under the Trust Center/Privacy options.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Quote:
Quote from McMaster on October 11, 2014, 06:28

Can anyone test if this is also happening with Windows 10?

I did test it.

It sure does show up in Windows "10". Since Windows "10" is essentially the original Windows 8.1 Update 2 rebranded as Windows 10, it doesn't surprise me it is happening again. The underpinnings of Windows 10 ARE Windows 8.1 .