Go Flight Inc and P3D

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Just got off the phone with John of Goflight Inc Tech support about getting their modules to work with P3D. First off does anyone know how to do this?

John said that GoFLight does support a ESP platform but I was unsure if P3D is based off of the ESP version of the FSX version.

It seems that GoFlight seeks out the folder of FS to allow programming of the switches and knobs and using I dont know as the bridge. Really, I dont know exactly whats the deal.

What I do know is that GoFlight makes great hardware and could stand to see increased sells of their products as P3D is used more and more commercially and P3D seem to be willing to work with other developers so Why dont P3D get intouch with GoFLight and explain the benenfits of their work and offer a 1 month trial to GoFLight so they can get their hardware to work right with P3D?

I'm gonna try and see what I can do with what limited knowledge I have on trying to get GoFLight to work in P3D. Would love to hear if anyone has any ideas on how to make this happen.
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Kilstorm,

I have been talking with GoFlight for over a year now when Mitch Bouton was CEO. I have also got a couple of units for testing, but unfortunately couldn't get past the installer because it was looking for specific applications (FSX etc) and not Prepar3D. I raised the issue with GoFlight and they were going to look at changing their installer and testing with Prepar3D. It is up to GoFlight to support Prepar3D and if they do, that would be great! I am not sure what else I can do at my end.

Regards,

John
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

John had told me that someone from GoFLight was in talks with you guys but left GoFlight and he was unsure of where the talks left off. He said he was going to try and find out where that left off and see what he could do about getting his hardware working with your software.

Since P3D is new and still being built with what I heard DX11 as being in the works, it seems that developers are going to have to try and keep up with new codes and possibly new builds to where they have to keep modifying their stuff to keep working with P3D.

I know if I was a developer, I wouldnt be too happy to have to keep redoing my work and have to keep paying a developer fee inorder to keep up. So to answer the question:

I am not sure what else I can do at my end.

I would say, send out an email with a message to all the developers that your working with stating you have a new version out as of recent and a link to where they can download at no cost a trail version to allow them a chance to make the needed changes to their stuff. Additionally I would include the interest that is slowly (or rapidly) growing behind P3D and how they can benefit from this.

I've paid my 1 month fee for P3D to show my support to you of your product and contacted some of the developers I would like to see support P3D as well so I feel I'm doing my part as someone who would like to see P3D replace my FSX on my computer.
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Kilstorm,

We appreciate your support!

We won't be providing free trial versions for developers. The developer network is very reasonably priced and the SDK is a free download as well. There should be minimal changes to developer add-ons for each release and newer versions of SimConnect remain backwards compatible. There may be recompiling to do for some, but in general most add-ons will remain compatible unless they are doing something a little bit unorthodox, so we don't think that developers will have a hard time. In the future we plan to release additional levels of the developer network, which will allow them to access beta releases of the software in advance of formal releases.

Rest assured that I continue to work with a lot of developers and publishers and hope that those I haven't reached yet will hear about Prepar3D and jump on board.

Regards,

John

Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Found how to make Go Flight stuff work.

Open up your GoFlight Folder (C: Program Files (86) GoFlight) and find the file GFDevFSX.exe

You can either create a shortcut for this exe file and palce it on your desktop or just open the GoFlight folder every time and double click on it.

Then when you start P3D, you should have complete control over your modules as they are assigned in FSX.

Would love to get some confirmation that others are able to do this and perhaps John or a P3D admin can clean up the above posts (ie remove my post that are not needed) and just make a FAQ post that will tell others how to get their GoFlight hardware to work with P3D.

picnic

Post by picnic »

On FSX GoFlight launch their application via the exe.xml file, this lives in same folder as fsx.cfg, so on W7 it'll be something like

C:\Users\<yourloginname>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

The entry required to add would be

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>GoFlight Modules</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\GoFlight\GFDevFSX.exe</Path>

<CommandLine></CommandLine>

</Launch.Addon>

Obviously the path would be to where ever you installed the GoFlight software.

I assume P3D would use the exe.xml file if it existed in its folder structure and launch the GotFlight code.
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Quote:
Quote from Kilstorm on October 5, 2011, 12:39

...........Would love to get some confirmation that others are able to do this.................

This post is to confirm that your method does work......unfortunately it means you have to have FSX installed!!!

However I imagine that most developers have come from a heritage of ESP->FSX->FS2004->..... especially if you've already own GoFlight modules!

A simple solution is to replace your P3D shortcut with a shortcut to a batch file that first runs GFDevFSX.exe and then runs Prepar3D.exe

regards

Jim