Disapearing cloud shadows

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
chrissykes314

Post by chrissykes314 »

Well I did a complete reinstall for the hell of it, and its still there!
Dunringill

Post by Dunringill »

I have the same problem too. Total immersion killer I'm afraid. I have switched cloudshadows off for now, the sim still looks great without them. But it would be really nice if this could be fixed or the solution could be found. I have tried every combination of settings and drivers I can think of including reinstalling but nothing seems to help.

Edit: my problem is disapearing and reapearing cloudshadows.
CMFA

Post by CMFA »

Quote:
Quote from Snave on August 17, 2014, 06:14

Looks completely normal.

You aren't factoring in the angle of the sun, the altitude of the aircraft, or the time of day. You don't see tree shadows from three miles up during most daylight hours.

Please try to be more scientific/complete...

Got that right !

I have REX overdrive installed and Very good quality clouds, however these pictures look normal to me.

Draw a circle around the problem area, that may help.

Doubt will be a pixel shader issue !

Fiddle around with the cloud settings if that helps.

Only problem I have with clouds is the rotation they do on their axis, when paning around on outside view, however I suspect the dev. team can't do much about it.

And...WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE SILLY SOLID ATC WINDOW, BRING THE ORIGINAL BACK FROM FSX !!!

:-)
ronh991

Post by ronh991 »

I don't have these issues with cloud shadows. Try setting your display to a lower res 1600x900x32 - see if that makes a difference. I don't have REX.
Ron
chrissykes314

Post by chrissykes314 »

It looks as if the Cloud fix has helped reduce the size of the square that causes the shadows the dissapear. looks to me to be a cloud related texture?
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

I think I've posted this elsewhere, but clouds currently only get drawn into the shadow view if some part of the cloud group they are in can been seen by the main camera. We have a way to fix it internally, but it could cause a significant drop in performance. If we draw every cloud that might have a chance of casting a shadow into the main scene the number of clouds drawn into the shadow view can be massive at certain sun angles. We may enable this for 2.4 and make it optional.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
chrissykes314

Post by chrissykes314 »

Hi Beau thanks for your reply, however the issue im reciveing is when the cloud is in the centre of screen, im not getting the popping that others have reported. As i have tried to describe the issue seems to be a clear texture file (looks like a high level cloud file but cannot tell as its clear) that at the correct allignment masks the shadows of clouds (generally 90 degrees to the sun and looking away from the sun), if i pan round the aircraft the texture file moves. I have to be above the cloud layer to show the issue. I hope this explains it more, if you need more please let me know.