Getting started: dead ends

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
plokkum

Post by plokkum »

I've been trying to get started building my own airports. I have an extensive background in visual effects for film and want to transfer that knowledge to building kick butt small airports.

However, the documentation and workflow I find out there are so vague, usually based on very old FS9/FSX workflows and I've never seen them cover things I'd like to know.

I'm hoping that with your help I can get started.

For my first project I want to create a small airstrip in Vero Beach, FL. One of the things I'd REALLY like to know is how I should handle custom modeled/textures runways and taxiways. For instance like in this beautiful ORBX airport:

Basically, I think that once I know how to get a custom runway/taxiway into Prepar3d, I'll be able to handle the rest.

Also, should the runway textures be procedural, or can I just use my own large texture? If I can, should I split the texture up in multiple files for better performance?

ebsloop

Post by ebsloop »

Try to use Airport Design Editor. The new version is for Prepar3D and FSX. Airport Design Editor is a great starting point for modifying airports. There are several tutorials online.
plokkum

Post by plokkum »

Thanks Ebsloop. I figured it out through Model Converter X, though. They're basically procedura/layeredl textures. That's what I expected :)
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Quote:
Quote from plokkum on July 25, 2014, 04:30

I have an extensive background in visual effects for film and want to transfer that knowledge to

As your avatar amply depicts. Sorry I'm a sarcastic sod :)