Taxiways disappeared on default airports

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
LCSims

Post by LCSims »

Hello L M,

There's an existing thread about disappearing taxiways on custom airports, but this also applies to default airports in v2.

The easiest reference is to look at PHOG - Kahului on the island of Maui, Hawaii. Similar effect can be seen at PHNL, PHNY, PHLI and PHMU airports. But this is not just a "Hawai'i thing", as a 10 minute slew job around the greater Los Angeles area shows the same issue at KRAL, KLGB, KHHR, KLAX, KBUR and KVNY. The gist of the issue is where a taxiway joins with another at an angle and the taxiways are not of the same width, then the display will be suppressed. The angle of junction appears to be 90 degrees. The work-around involves placing a "blocking node" on the junctioning path/taxi way at the a distance equal to the ~1/2 width of the suppressed taxiway. A picture is better than my terminology;

Default PHOG airport apron/taxiway area; www.lcsims.com/storage3/PHOG_default.jpg

Default PHOG in editor; www.lcsims.com/storage3/default_PHOG.jpg

Fixed PHOG airport apron/taxiway area; www.lcsims.com/storage3/PHOG_fixed.jpg

Fixed PHOG in editor; www.lcsims.com/storage3/fixed_PHOG.jpg

I would imagine this is a global situation, as this visual issue was noticed during one of my first flights in P3D2 up in Alaska.

Lance
tuppy

Post by tuppy »

Similar problem here, or at least at YSSY... no taxyway textures on twy G leading from Domestic Terminal to threshold Rwy25. Taxyway markings (yellow lines) are faintly visible but no texture....

Tried adjusting all scenery sliders to no avail.

Not a major problem by any means, just thought I'd mention it.

chris from oz
ananda

Post by ananda »

Quote:
Quote from tuppy on December 6, 2013, 07:36

Not a major problem by any means, just thought I'd mention it.

It seems pretty major to me :?

George

tuppy

Post by tuppy »

Quote :It seems pretty major to me :?

George

unquote

Eye of the beholder George, ;) In the grand overall scheme of things, given the number of airports portrayed, 100 yards of missing concrete doesn't seem to me to loom large....

Should this be symptomatic of a more widespread recurring issue then.... different story indeed!

chris from oz
ananda

Post by ananda »

Quote:
Quote from tuppy on December 6, 2013, 08:26

Should this be symptomatic of a more widespread recurring issue then.... different story indeed!

Considering that there are more than 24000 airports, if just 10% have this fault and you are a student PPL at one of those 2000 airports, you will be very upset.

George

klaurita

Post by klaurita »

Ditto. I see this on number of DEFAULT airports. Seems to be associated with asphalt not cement texture.

Not sure why this receives little attention. Is it something I did?
jpmes

Post by jpmes »

Perhaps it didn't catch their attention yet. I hope it will before 2.1 comes out :-)

Jean-Paul
Leporello

Post by Leporello »

I'm watching this at several european airports like LIRF. First I thought it was something connected to my card or settings, now I see it's quite common and worldwide spread. I can see the yellow lines of taxiways but no asphalt, just the ground terrain.

And no, I don't call it a minor problem.
Ian P

Post by Ian P »

That sounds like they have fallen foul of their own fix which Jon has been fixing with Airport Design Editor's latest incarnations.

Maybe someone (not me - I'm here trying to find out why L-M have shut down my developer license subscription without telling me) can look at one of the default airports' XML file and see if the missing sections are set to not be visible? This was common practice with v1.4, where that line in the XML was ignored, but now they fixed it so that visibility works, that would explain why bits are missing.

Ian P.
Arismac

Post by Arismac »

Yes they are set to non-visable. I went in and changed the .XML and got my taxi-ways back. You do not need Jon's Pro Key to do this with latest version of ADE