Video card Upgrade==>New Activation?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
ppo

Post by ppo »

As in the subject line: does a video card upgrade require a new activation?

Tks
Saul

Post by Saul »

Yes, you will need to email Licensing@Prepar3D.com and tell them your situation. It can take a couple of days for a reply.

So the best way to do it is wait until they give you the OK then do your upgrading. Or otherwise it can be frustrating waiting a couple of days.

Regards,

Saul.
simon747

Post by simon747 »

Really? You need to get a new activation with a video card change. I understand a mobo or os swap, but a video card change...was planning to do that upgrade today. Is the activation linked to your video card?

Thanks, BTW, I am enjoying the program greatly. Great work guys!! The simulator is amazing!!
WBard

Post by WBard »

You shouldn't, but we obviously have to tweak our algorithm there a little bit. Email licensing and they'll get you set up in the mean time til we fix up the algorithm to ignore video card changes.
simon747

Post by simon747 »

OK Wes, email sent. Keep up the good work your end. Been very happy with the program so far.
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

FWIW, I went from a GTX680 to a GTX780 with no issues. I had emailed ahead of time but it wasn't needed.

Vic
MikeT707

Post by MikeT707 »

Quote:
Quote from WBard on December 4, 2013, 16:37

You shouldn't, but we obviously have to tweak our algorithm there a little bit. Email licensing and they'll get you set up in the mean time til we fix up the algorithm to ignore video card changes.

Great to hear that you will be changing the algorithm. Do you know when that might take place. I am building a system and plan to try out three different video cards so the change would be most welcome. Thanks.
simon747

Post by simon747 »

Quote:
Quote from vgbaron on December 4, 2013, 18:52

FWIW, I went from a GTX680 to a GTX780 with no issues. I had emailed ahead of time but it wasn't needed.

Vic

Thanks Vic; I hope it will work for me also. How long did it take you to get a reply btw?

Simon
ROBERT DUNN 2

Post by ROBERT DUNN 2 »

Thank you, Mr. Bard for this graphics card modification in your license verification algorithm. I, also will be upgrading to an Nvidia GTX 780 tomorrow. I licensed my client computer with an AMD 7850 and, after analysis and testing, I decided I needed even more GPU. Many of the pilots that fly the FSOpen-msFLIGHTS.net P3Dv2 developmental and test host server (IP 71.231.12.143, 24/7) are talking about hardware upgrades on the forum and TeamSpeak of msFLIGHTS.net. Some pilots will even be attempting to swap graphics cards frequently in their analysis and testing. There are plenty of installation and licensing frustrations as it is and we who so actively support not only our members' technical help requirements but support the propagation of this next generation of flight simulator in general don't need more explaining to do. Please remove graphics card analysis entirely from your "different computer" analysis. You won't be far wrong if you plan on every interested customer of your wonderful product will want to upgrade their now more fully utilized GPU, after license is purchased. Please believe me when I assure you that now that P3Dv2 is out, many of us evangelists are doing what we can to act as your marketing department.

Slightly off topic but more fully explained in your Multiplayer Specific Questions forum, there is an FSX cross community flight scheduled for 14 December. These events draw large number of potentially interested FSX pilots from most major FSX communities and many smaller FSX groups, 60 to 100 at any one time and lasting three hours. Developers such as Scott Gentile of A2A and David Love-Brice of IRIS have attended in the past. Several FSX-Prepar3D developers are expected again at this cross community flight. There is opportunity for an hour before the flight for developers to present an interesting offering and entertain a question or two, with further opportunity to assemble in smaller interested groups at some other time. Even as this is an FSX event, held about once every three months, any interested member from your team would be enthusiastically welcomed if you should decide to attend. Consider this an official invite. I am authorized to make such offer. Again, please see your Multiplayer Specific Questions forum for further information. This is an excellent opportunity to generate more Prepar3D v2 enthusiasm in the wider simming world and, as far as I can tell from my first couple weeks of running the only P3Dv2 24/7 public developmental and testing host server around, we need to beat that drum.
Respects, Bob...
ROBERT DUNN 2
RSDunn2@msflights.net