Problems with the installation

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
holger0815

Post by holger0815 »

Hi there,

I would like to install Prepar3D V2 to D:\p3d since my c:\ drive is only a 60 GB SSD used by Windows 7. C:\ is almost full, but there is plenty of free space on D:\. Although I chose D:\p3d as a folder for the installation, I get errors saying that there is not enough space on C:\.

I am unable to free enough disc space on C:\. If there is no solution for this issue, a complete new install of the whole system would be the consequence. I hope this won't be necessary.

Another question: I read that P3D V2 creates a 10 GB folder called C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\ on c:\ although other users installed the sim on another HDD. Is this folder just used for the installation process and can it be deleted after completing the installation of P3D?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Holger

www.simflight.de
Saul

Post by Saul »

Hi Holger

You can install onto D: drive. click options from the installation screen. if you have installed already onto C: you will need to uninstall first.

My own installation is on D:

There are is a published installation help file http://www.prepar3d.com/Prepar3D_Downlo ... ons_v2.pdf

I'm not sure about the programdata/cache...

Regards Saul
holger0815

Post by holger0815 »

Thank you, Saul!

But unfortunately, this does not help me any further. I can see from the install log, that P3Dv2 writes to C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\ until the harddrive is full. Then, the installation will abort with the corresponding error message.

Best,

Holger
holger0815

Post by holger0815 »

Is anybody out there?
Bigmack

Post by Bigmack »

The C:\ProgramData is where all scenery cache is stored. If you delete it P3D will fail to operate. Like Saul instructed install on another drive using options from install menu. And leave the C:\ProgramData folder alone.
holger0815

Post by holger0815 »

Are you sure about that? I just installed P3D and saw that in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache is a full copy of the installer. There is no scenery data stored.
Stefan Schaefer

Post by Stefan Schaefer »

During Setup at C:\ProgramData\Package Cache all installation files are stored in case you need to repair the Installation. So you need about 10GB (a little more, I guess) of free space at C:\ even if you install to another drive. These files are not used by the sim during runtime, but only if you repair. So you can move them away and back later in case you need them (though not recommended by LM). But you need this free space in any case for the first Installation.

Stefan Schaefer

C.E.O.

PILOT'S GesmbH