P3D V2 and GPU Memory

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Andre

Post by Andre »

Hello,

since P3D V2 will use Directx11, how important will the amount of memory on the GPU be?

I am considering to buy a Nvidia GTX780 with 3GB or a GTX770 with 4GB and am wondering if the extra memory on the GTX770 might actually help P3D to perform better?

Any information that can be disclosed at this time about GPU Memory usage?

Kind regards,

André

Saul

Post by Saul »

Hi André,

They recommend a minimum of 1GB and a recommended amount of 2GB GPU memory. Perhaps the best choice is the GTX780 because its the faster card.

Even after the release people with those cards can report what they get per performance but its all relative to...

what area they are flying in, scenery flies used, aircraft, weather, graphics settings, traffic, time of day... ect

Unless someone starts to swap out cards to run a direct comparison its really all speculation.

Regards

Saul
DocBird

Post by DocBird »

I asked about the same question some time ago and the answer from Beau Hollis was:

“We do use more video memory in v2, but 2GB is probably safe assuming you're not running a ton of monitors and views. We need to do some more optimizing and bug fixing before we can get real benchmarking done, but a high end 2 GB card will likely run better than a low end 4GB card.”(http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... c&t=3372.5)

So a better card with less RAM will likely outperform the weaker card with more RAM. I am, however, not sure if that relies to the generations of cards (e.g. GTX 5xx/6xx/7xx) or also within the generations (e.g. GTX 760/770/780). My understanding is that the better the card the better V2 will run. And: more RAM will only be used if you have special setups like multiple monitors, etc.

So my suggestion would be to take the 780 with 3 GB (it is more then what is recommended) instead of the 770 with 4 GB (unless you have specific requirements).
Andre

Post by Andre »

Thanks for the replies.

We´ll have to wait and see. But from Beau Hollis answer, i´m guessing 3GB will probably give you enough buffer to not be a bottleneck.

Cheers,

André
tannagra

Post by tannagra »

Quote:
Quote from DocBird on November 22, 2013, 03:17

I asked about the same question some time ago and the answer from Beau Hollis was:

“We do use more video memory in v2, but 2GB is probably safe assuming you're not running a ton of monitors and views. We need to do some more optimizing and bug fixing before we can get real benchmarking done, but a high end 2 GB card will likely run better than a low end 4GB card.”(http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... c&t=3372.5)

So a better card with less RAM will likely outperform the weaker card with more RAM. I am, however, not sure if that relies to the generations of cards (e.g. GTX 5xx/6xx/7xx) or also within the generations (e.g. GTX 760/770/780). My understanding is that the better the card the better V2 will run. And: more RAM will only be used if you have special setups like multiple monitors, etc.

So my suggestion would be to take the 780 with 3 GB (it is more then what is recommended) instead of the 770 with 4 GB (unless you have specific requirements).

Regarding GPU's i think LM said that a newer architecture GPU will generally perform better than an older one. So a high level latest generation GPU will generally perform better than a last generation high level GPU.
volkerjacob

Post by volkerjacob »

To ask before i by a new Card, - at the moment my GTX760 2GB has not enought free VRAM if a use a AddOn Airport like FSDT or FlyTampa. I look for a good 770 with 4GB or 780 with 3GB - but I think 3Gb may also be too little free momory ?!?!
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I've used over 3GB VRAM on my Titan(comes with 6GB VRAM) even when only using 2048 textures, 4096 textures push VRAM use well over 3GB but I have NOT exceeded 4GB VRAM.

Rob
Rob Ainscough
volkerjacob

Post by volkerjacob »

Thanks, so it would be a GTX770 OC !