v5.3 How to Cutomize VR(MR) Calibration Origin

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
g1235813

v5.3 How to Cutomize VR(MR) Calibration Origin

Post by g1235813 »

Hi,
I'm using prepar3d v5.3 professional plus and Varjo XR-3 headset and trying to implement a mixed reality experience that when I sit in my cockpit, I can see and can only see the equipment and sturcture of the cockpit through HMD's camera, everything outside is virtual scenery in prepar3d. Here is what I did:

a. create a 3D model that has exactly same shape and size as my cockpit, and import it to prepar3d.
b. run prepar3d, in "custom camera management", create a new view with "camera effects-maskVCAlphaAndColor" and change view to this one.
c. enable vr mode, in headset the model became "transparent", meaning I can see the reality through camera in a area that has the shape and size of the 3Dmodel, everything outside the model is virtual. Thus in theory, if the reality area match perfectly with my cockpit, my cockpit should be only thing in reality I can see, and thus I can fly in this mixed reality setup.

Now the problem is, though the reality area(i.e. the 3D model) has exactly same shape and size as my cockpit, to match them perfectly, I have to make sure the headset is at exact same location as the calibration origin(the eyepoint prepar3d will set the camera to each time "calibrate origin" is clicked), and the origin is somewhere in the air with no reference coordinates, so a perfect match is nearly impossible.

One solution I can think of, is to find a fixed reference location, and change prepar3d calibration origin to that location. For example, if I can change the origin location so everytime I click "calibrate origin", the eyepoint will be moved to center of the top of the seat in my 3dmodel, then I can get a perfect matching by putting the headset on the center of the top of the set in reality and then clicking "calibrate origin".

But how can I change the location of prepar3d's calibration origin?

In virtual reality-VR settings-advanced mixed reality tab, there is "HMDReferenceOrigin" with three options: HMD Zero Origin, P3D Custom Origin and P3D Tracker Origin. below this there are "HMDReferenceTransformX/Y/Z". But I didn't figure out what do they mean and not sure if these can be used to set a custom calibration origin point.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
MobiFlight2023

Re: v5.3 How to Cutomize VR(MR) Calibration Origin

Post by MobiFlight2023 »

I would also like to know how that works, because it is very tedious to calibrate the origin every time. There must be a better way.
Sabre57

Re: v5.3 How to Cutomize VR(MR) Calibration Origin

Post by Sabre57 »

Not sure this will help as I don't currently use VR. However, I use 3 55" TVs and have my physical seat between the left edge and center of the middle screen. That doesn't work as the pilot seat in the sim is in the center of the middle screen. Just moving the viewpoint doesn't really work either as the "origin" is still in the center of the middle screen. I've been able to somewhat fix this by creating a horizontal view that uses different side angles. For example; for the left side of the middle monitor the view angle is set at about 30 degrees and the right angle is set at 55 degrees. I don't use these exact angles as I'm not by my sim at the moment. This has the effect of moving the origin to the left and places it directly in front of me. I had to play with the angles a lot, as well as adjusting the vertical field of view to get it to look correct. Not sure if there is anything equivalent in VR. However, just in case it gives you an idea about how to make it work I thought I'd post this.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6