Downloading and Installing P3D Solely on my E: Drive

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
scottfulky

Downloading and Installing P3D Solely on my E: Drive

Post by scottfulky »

Hello! I'm a long-time P3D user, and still use it as my primary sim, but more recently, I've been using up so much space on my primary C drive that I've run out of room for the computer to do basic updates, so I've uninstalled and done a clean install of windows to clean everything up. Now that I'm ready to reinstall, I've purchased a third drive, my E: drive which is a 2TB SSD, so I can place all my P3D addons in their entirety, including the P3D Client, Scenery, etc on my E: drive. I've done some research and have not found a firm solution to installing everything 100% on the E: drive. I tried installing the Client, Scenery, etc separately instead of running the standard P3D installer, yet I still ended up with Lockheed Martin folders with P3D data on my C: drive. If anyone can guide me through the process please feel free to reach out to me here or on Discord. I appreciate any help you can provide.

-Scott Fulkerson
Discord: scottfulky
JorgenSA

Re: Downloading and Installing P3D Solely on my E: Drive

Post by JorgenSA »

Scott,

Some files will go on to your C: drive, and their location cannot be changed, those that go under C:\ProgramData, those in \Local and \Roaming under C:\Users and those in your \Documents folders.

Well, at least I have not heard of a way to put them somewhere else.

And they will end up there no matter which way you run the installer(s).

So apart from cleaning up space on your C: drive and possibly moving whatever can be moved to "somewhere else" (I do that a lot, even though my C: drive is 1 TB), the solution for you would be to clone your C: drive to a bigger one.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Sparky1

Re: Downloading and Installing P3D Solely on my E: Drive

Post by Sparky1 »

HI,
Jorgan is correct regarding the files that have to be installed on you C: drive except for all that are installed in your "Documents" folder.

You can move your "Documents" folder to whatever drive you like and then all P3D files will go there.

There are a few different ways to move this folder and so your best friend is "Google".

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... rent+drive