Request for V6 (I am just hoping)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Airwolf

Request for V6 (I am just hoping)

Post by Airwolf »

Hey guys,

I am excited about V6 but this time can you please force all devs if they are going to install their addon in V6 that it be installed outside the sim root directory. So many problems happen over the years, devs blame some other addon or LM etc and other addon dev blames this and that.

Just like MSFS2020 everything is in the community folder, in the same for P3D v6 it should be installed outside.

I have seen the forum threads on here over the years, about this addon or that addon; change files in that folder inside sim root directory etc - When things break everyone has to debug.

Please force the devs to install outside period. Players like Flytampa, PMDG, Flightbeam did not at all respect external installation...and it always a damn mess when new p3d updates came from v3.4 to v5.4. Sim can get full uninstall but the addons can be left as is, but when installing in the sim root, issue do happen.

Please force the devs to follow new system please. Do not give them the option (they will not follow or respect it)
pestridge77

Re: Request for V6 (I am just hoping)

Post by pestridge77 »

Hey Airworlf.

Xml addon installation has been available for quite a while now and is offered as a choice for planes, airports and sceneries.
Even when the installation places it in the root directory because the dev doesnt offer the xml method. It is possible still for users to write their own xml files and move the installation outside the sim root folder.

To be fair, I think if LM started placing restrictions on devs rather than choices for the devs, thats when they will move away from this sim. All I see if LM bending over backwards with 3rd party devs to allow them to make their addons for the sim.
It would be good if ALL addons were outside the sim, sadly in the real world with the tools or ways that some addons have been created in the past, in the root sim would be needed unless the 3rd party devs completely re-wrote the addon, which many would not want to do. I really wish 3rd party devs would put more effort within each version release instead of porting up older addons with a new installer. New features could be taken care of, better performance could be given to the user. Its just using these new tools I fear is the reason why they dont. I bet many still use FSX style tools in their dev process.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64G DDR4 Core Speed 3200Ghz
OS: Windows 10 (tweaked/modded for Flight Sim Performance)
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

On another note, when an update comes through from LM and there needs to be an uninstallation and reinstall of the new client, content or scenery. P3D will ONLY uninstall P3D files and leave alone 3rd party content within the sim root. So when the new update has taken place the addons are right back in as normal.

I find its always best, regardless if its a full update or partial, I treat it the same way, by placing 5 files on my desktop first before uninstalling the sim.
P3D.cfg in appdata/roaming
Addon.cfg in program data
Scenery.cfg in program data
Terrain.cfg in program data
Volumetric Cloud.cfg in appddata/roaming

Then once you install the update the above files will be placed in with the new additional lines of code. Scenery, Terrain and Addons can simply be placed back in the sim to ensure your addons will continue to work as normal.
Check with the other two files to see if there has been any changes made (or if you have made any changes to these files) before placing them back in or keeping the new file. This way it will ensure you have no errors in your update and everything will work just fine.
mpni

Post by mpni »

Hi prestige77
You can add Standard.xml (C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vX\Controls).
Your joystick configuration will also be saved.
Regards
Michel
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Thats right, all the personal files are saved when you uninstall the sim, I was more saying to actually remove those files from their location in case there are updates to a couple of files that need to be kept. If those files are left in place from the older version, then when the the installation takes place and there would be new info in those files, sadly it isnt put in from the recent installation if those files are already there. Nothing in the files gets updated to take advantage of current features.

The control files yes, I do recommend keeping a backup copy stored somewhere as its easy to forget about the control files when completely removing P3D from a system in order to do a fresh install. The control files tho are never touched in an update process. So they will always be saved.
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

Hi guys,

I can make any third party addon to be able to install outside with symlinks etc. I have seen the files left intact when sim uninstall happens. I just hate when developers load into the sim. It is a messy work, and it shows developer disregard to organization and following new standards of installation.

Just take a look at the addon cfg file. There are 2 locations for it...why? some addons will use this one and other dev will use the other location. It is crazy.

Common sense and simplicity in design is needed.
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Airwolf wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:44 pm Hi guys,

I can make any third party addon to be able to install outside with symlinks etc. I have seen the files left intact when sim uninstall happens. I just hate when developers load into the sim. It is a messy work, and it shows developer disregard to organization and following new standards of installation.

Just take a look at the addon cfg file. There are 2 locations for it...why? some addons will use this one and other dev will use the other location. It is crazy.

Common sense and simplicity in design is needed.
the two addon.cfg files in different locations perform different functions.
The one found in appdata/roaming is a an index of every addon found within the documents location of the sim. So this changes to reflect what is in that folder and what isnt. No other addon which is installed elsewhere on the system, will be found in this list. ONLY the ones in the documents.

Of course xml addons can be installed ANYWHERE on the system as long as the path within the xml file is correct and usually, if you are installing outside of the documents location, registering it within the addon.cfg file within Program Data is advisable. The Program Data location add.cfg is a constant register of addons that wont usually be removed from the sim.

The way I use xml addons (as they take longer to load in the sim than scenery items) is that I drag and drop the folder containing the xml file in the documents folder only when I need to use them. I keep a whole directory of xmls and addons on separate drives, this makes inserting older airports into new version a case of just drag and drop as well.
Although, Orbx xml addon airports, I just leave alone as their manager usually throws a hissy fit if I change their stuff.

Hope this helps.