5.2 perfect, 5.3 long pausing and stuttering is unflyable

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Senchay

Re: 5.2 perfect, 5.3 long pausing and stuttering is unflyable

Post by Senchay »

Martyson wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:21 am Senchay,

I noticed MSI in your previous post .

Is this Specialty software like Afterburner / Riva Tuner etc.?

It has been reported to cause problems with flights.
Thanks for the hint :-) Not directly, no. Its a GPU tool that comes with grahpic cards, in short words. It would let one oc or measure statistics of hardware (first part i dont do though, i only use it for measurement) This isnt active when the problem starts. I just open it later to show the behaviour. This happens fully without any hardware specific tools. And none of my hardware is overclocked or something.

To clarification, the problem starts without this tool on. Just when i see the GPU behaving like this, i turn it on because taskmanager doesnt really show much. It shows as GPU Copy 1 with 0.5% usage. I would have to change through various settings in taskmanager to get some load that mostly corresponds to whats really happening (i.e switch mode to graphics_1 instead of GPU in taskmanager menu). MSI Afterburner shows it very precise. So only for the screenshot to show GPU behaviour this app is open and active. Anyway it doesnt change anything. The core and oc utilities are turned OFF.
P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
zdvet

Post by zdvet »

I managed two successful flights yesterday, total of about 7 hours flying time!

Annnnd then it broke on flight 3. Restarted the whole computer between 2 and 3, nothing else changed expect the airports, and the time of day.

I had no issues when the time of day was "day" (9am local to about 3pm local), but when it switched to "dusk", I had issues. Going back now, I recall having issues at "dawn" and "dusk", but if it was solidly day or night, I can't recall having the issue.
Bozo92

Post by Bozo92 »

Performed three more flights
First one froze on taxi out
second one froze during cruise
Third one froze during pushback but recovered

The application never crashes. Back to v5.1HF1 (client only) and all is well. Completed two flights without issues (as expected).

Please get to the bottom of this LM. v5.3 is unusable (otherwise a fantastic update, performance wise).
boeingp3d

Post by boeingp3d »

This mornings flight I had to quit because it was pausing quickly ever 5 seconds. Moving the camera left or right and the sim freezes for a second I was not possible to do a 360 with the camera moving left or right it was freezing that often. Why is 5.3 doing this when 5.2 was not?
Anton Vind

Post by Anton Vind »

Yup, clearly this is related to 5.3. I have stutters as well, and in 5.2 I was able to have Volumetric Clouds on Ultra, in 5.3 I get terrible fps on that setting, so that is reduced to Medium.
luttes1972

Post by luttes1972 »

I thought i had save 5.2 but i must have deleted it. Is it possible to have that ver brought up to use in the mean time? if previous ver are available where are they?

Will
Brunotx

Post by Brunotx »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:17 pm Some additional questions for those experiencing this issue:

Does it still occur if road traffic and road lights are disabled?
Does disabling EA or volumetric clouds make a difference?
Does this happen when departing a default (non add-on) airport?
Were changes made to Jobscheduler entries?
Does disabling crash detection have an impact?
Does disabling AI traffic have an impact?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
1. Road traffic is off. Sips, ferries and leisures boats are on @ 39 & 15% respectively
2. Didn't had time to try without. But I only use EA with Volumetric Clouds OFF
3. Random ocurence. No special airports....
4. No changes made to JobScheduler
5. Always fly with this disables.
6. Always disabled because flying on VATSIM.

Also. 5.3 installed from a fresh install.

Regards,
Bozo92

Post by Bozo92 »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:17 pm Some additional questions for those experiencing this issue:

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Hi Rob,

Considering the long freeze that occurs in v5.3 when approaching airports with sloped AFCADs (for example Aerosoft EDDF) my hunch was that this freeze myself and other users in this thread are experiencing is also scenery .bgl related, especially as the sim does not crash and otherwise performs better than ever before.

I removed my v5.3 entire default Prepar3D v5/scenery folder and copied in the default v5.1HF1 /scenery folder.
I have completed five flights of up to 5 hours in length (restarting the sim between each session) and so far I have not been able to replicate the FPS loss or freezing!

Based on the above I have reason believe the sudden massive FPS drop and/or complete freeze P3D v5.3 is caused by corrupt default scenery files introduced in v5.3

Take the Orlando area for example, OBX26210.bgl (located in scenery/0302) Loading into KMCO or the surrounding area, takes up to 5 minutes due to the new corrupt default .bgl. Once loaded or even just flying into the area from elsewhere results in single digit FPS or a complete freeze, these are the exact symptoms being reported by other users (and myself) in this thread. Only difference being that they have occurred globally in difference scenery regions. Based on the threads in this forum alone, these issues are being reported in multiple scenery regions in scenery/0301 (0302, 0601 etc.)
Bozo92

Post by Bozo92 »

Bozo92 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:54 am

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Hi Rob,

Considering the long freeze that occurs in v5.3 when approaching airports with sloped AFCADs (for example Aerosoft EDDF) my hunch was that this freeze myself and other users in this thread are experiencing is also scenery .bgl related, especially as the sim does not crash and otherwise performs better than ever before.

I removed my v5.3 entire default Prepar3D v5/scenery folder and copied in the default v5.1HF1 /scenery folder.
I have completed five flights of up to 5 hours in length (restarting the sim between each session) and so far I have not been able to replicate the FPS loss or freezing!

Based on the above I have reason believe the sudden massive FPS drop and/or complete freeze P3D v5.3 is caused by corrupt default scenery files introduced in v5.3

Take the Orlando area for example, OBX26210.bgl (located in scenery/0302) Loading into KMCO or the surrounding area, takes up to 5 minutes due to the new corrupt default .bgl. Once loaded or even just flying into the area from elsewhere results in single digit FPS or a complete freeze, these are the exact symptoms being reported by other users (and myself) in this thread. Only difference being that they have occurred globally in difference scenery regions. Based on the threads in this forum alone, these issues are being reported in multiple scenery regions in scenery/0301 (0302, 0601 etc.)

6th flight since using v5.1HF 1 /scenery again, and FPS reduced to single digits during climb out of LSZH.
I paused the sim (unflyable like this), and after 4-5 minutes I resumed and continued the flight uneventfully at 30FPS locked (unlimited in P3D settings, monitor set to 30Hz).

Something is causing a temporary but massive loss of FPS in v5.3 or a total freeze (it alternates between sessions with 1/10 being problem free).
Related to the confirmed sloped AFCAD runway bug e.g. (EDDF) ?
boeingp3d

Post by boeingp3d »

If you have the pausing and stuttering after removing sloped runways try the fps lock to Unlimited and remove any fps lock in Nvidia or other video card programs. Unlimited has fixed my last 3 flights.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Quick test flight
P3Dv5.3.12.28072 Academic
Default F35B, default airports, default weather, Orbx global, Little Navmap
EBLG-EDDF
EBLG FPS 28 VRAM 2.7
EDDF FPS 28 VRAM 3.6
No stutters, no freezes no problems to report on this flight
I took screenshots for reference if needed

My Desktop PC Specs:
No Overclocking
Windows 11 Home
21H2
build 22000.348
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.348.0

Thermaltake Versa J22 RGB case
i9 9900K
Corsair H100i Pro RGB cooler
Gygabyte Z390
Gigabit Ethernet , WiFi
1000W PS
1TB NVMe SSD (WIN11)
1TB NVMe SSD (Data)
32GB DDR4 memory
Realtek Audio
Stereo speakers (wired)
SoundBlaster Fury Headset w/Mic (USB and wired options) normally used when recording videos.
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (DP/HDMI)
Viewsonic 24 inch display VA2446MH-LED (1 HDMI input)
Viewsonic 22 inch display VX2250WM-LED (1 DVI input)
SAITEK Proflight Yoke and Throttles (3 Axis) module
SAITEK Proflight Throttles (3 Axis) second module
CH rudder Pedals
Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttles
Thrustmaster TCA Throttle Quadrant and Sidestick
24x DVD RW (internal)
Card reader
Belkin 7 port USB 2.0 Powered Hub
Insignia (NS-P10A710 FLEX 10.1” Android Tablet)used for remote CDU or charts
Mouse (USB)
101 key keyboard (USB)
APC battery backup
Nvidia 497.09
Networked PCs Ethernet cable

Orbx global, a few Orbx regions / and a few payware airports (Orbx and others USA / North America/Europe).
Active Sky , PMDG737, 747, 777 , FSLabs A320X, VRS F/A-18E and other payware aircraft.
P3D4.5HF3 (4.5.14.34698), P3D5.3 Academic (5.3.12.28072), Xplane 11.5 and MSFS [2020 (1.21.13.0)].
FSUIPC6, Version 6.1.6 for P3Dv4 and P3dv5.
FFSUIPC7, Version 7.2.13 for MSFS [2020].
Chaseplane
Little Navmap
Navigraph charts
Navigraph Simlink
Last edited by Martyson on Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

ryanair007 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:24 pm Well i delete afterburner, pecission oc and riva tuner from my pc and no more crashes .
I did 4 flights of 1 h this morning everything ok , Vram took a hit in 5.3 but its ok.
Guys give it a try and report back ,

Regards .

Marco .
That is good news.
Best Regards,
Anton Vind

Post by Anton Vind »

Yup, this clearly is a 5.3 thing. In 5.3 I applied the exact same settings as in 5.2, yet I get shitty performance in 5.3. Found out it was Volumetric Clouds causing it. In 5.2 I was able to have it on Ultra without fps loss, in 5.3 it kills my fps. Also all the work seems to be dedicated to one CPU core (don't know if it's always been like that, but it's been mentioned as a possible cause).

There are also terrain issues - it takes me like 5 minutes to load up KMCO and in the beginning you don't even see the orange loading bar, that only appears after two minutes. Finally the horizon and clouds in the far distance tends to have an orange/brown colour during the day. How is it possible to mess up so many things, and how has it not been caught in beta testing?

Also you should be able to download the installer of the previous version, in case the new version is a mess and you want to revert. Installing the 5.2 client does not resolve the problem, so the issues must be within Content and Scenery. It is a shame that there's no way back if you update and it turns out to be full of issues. I basically can't fly until all this gets fixed.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I did not read that anyone did a basic P3D default flight into EDDF to verify if there were any problems?
So I did a quick test flight and reported my findings.
Best Regards,
Bozo92

Post by Bozo92 »

Martyson wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:05 am I did not read that anyone did a basic P3D default flight into EDDF to verify if there were any problems?
So I did a quick test flight and reported my findings.
Nobody claimed there was a problem with the default EDDF. It was clear form the get go that the freeze at Aerosoft EDDF is due to a bug in how v5.3 is loading sloped data (which Aerosoft EDDF happens to include).

So once again you choose to go on a tangent (aka rabbit hole) instead of sticking to the topic at hand.