P3D wont run after Win7 auto-update today

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
SimonRobbins

Post by SimonRobbins »

I booted up my Windows 7 64-bit PC today and it auto-installed some Windows updates.

Since then it wont run P3D (or FSX for that matter.) It's connected to it trying to initialise windows or switch out of Aero desktop mode.

I get "A fatal error has occurred" when the splash screen is up and if I've got Aero desktop running Windows then reports that "Desktop Windows Manager has stopped working and will be closed".

If I set the desktop to a Windows 7 basic (non-Aero) theme then P3D still crashes with a fatal error but I do not get the subsequent dwm.exe error.

I'm wondering if anyone else has suddenly encountered this? Have MS screwed something up in an update?

It's really annoying as there doesn't appear to be a way around it and it's stopped me in my tracks!

Cheers,

Si
Celis

Post by Celis »

try system restore to a previous state and disable windows update until u find a fix for that issue.

hope it works.

cheers

Alex
SimonRobbins

Post by SimonRobbins »

I've done that. It installed two critical updates today and I've restored it to before that point. No luck.

I've also done a clean boot (essential services only) with MSConfig and installed the latest nvidia drivers. No luck either.

The event log seems to indicate that dwm.exe is crashing in the nvidia driver dll module. dwm itself hasn't changed for a couple of years, so it's difficult to know what's happened as other 3D applications seem to work fine.

I've also tried deleting the P3D cfg file to see if forcing it to pick default settings might help and that's not worked either.

I'm about to try a Win7 repair install now.. *fingers crossed*

Si
Celis

Post by Celis »

did u try a clean reinstall of nvidia drivers.

good luck on repair
BobbyHipperson

Post by BobbyHipperson »

Try bringing up an elevated command prompt and running sfc /scannow and see if that repairs anything
simpson-uk

Post by simpson-uk »

Hi,

Undoubtedly I find that P3D is really whimsical with compared with FSX, and I find that really boring to have to make a lot of manipulation to be able to make a flight.

Off course if P3D decides to be willing to start :) :) :)

Jeff
Lox

Post by Lox »

Hello,

After Win 7 64 bit update, Prepar3D.exe exits back to desktop with no failure or error code.

I re-install Prepar3D from scratch according to their description but, still the same problem.

Also when I tried to run LearningCenter I get the following error...C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll could not be loaded. The file is there... Why can it not be loaded?

I re-installed all the proper libraries, etc, etc but still no help!

Any idea???

Jos