V5: ATC-windows crash VCRUNTIME140.dll

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Martyson

Re: V5: ATC-windows crash VCRUNTIME140.dll

Post by Martyson »

airbader wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:17 pm
Martyson wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:13 pm @ FrLoio95,

You mentioned:
“In the GSX forum, the developers said that was a P3D problem and not an addon related, and the latest GSX release is compatible with P3Dv5.”

I checked the FSDT GSX forum.
The last post on this topic I seen in the FSDT GSX forum post was by SamuelHeine:

He said:
“The only reasons I have had CTDs in P5D so far has been when I have been interacting with GSX.
I use Activesky and others, they have not caused problems so far...”
"We reported to LM, which is investigating it."
@ airbader,

Yes that is true, some time ago.

In this forum / post forum members are still testing and asking questions to verify the problem.

Have you had this problem [V5: ATC-windows crash VCRUNTIME140.dll] on your setup?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
FrLoio95

Post by FrLoio95 »

@Martyson.

This has happened with the PMDG 737 and the FsLabs A320, when opening a transparent window (Ctr+F11 for Active Sky and Ctrl+F12 for GSX). Not in every flight, but frequenty, in comparison, I have been a user of the same Addons for P3Dv4 without crashes for years.

I do not use the default ATC, only Vatsim, the GSX is the full product, and the Active Sky is the latest beta for v5.

In the thread on the GSX forum, I was talking about the virtuali response about the problem.
This seems to be a common issue with many users with different add-ons and systems, and related with this menus.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

FrLoio95 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:04 pm @Martyson.

This has happened with the PMDG 737 and the FsLabs A320, when opening a transparent window (Ctr+F11 for Active Sky and Ctrl+F12 for GSX). Not in every flight, but frequenty, in comparison, I have been a user of the same Addons for P3Dv4 without crashes for years.

I do not use the default ATC, only Vatsim, the GSX is the full product, and the Active Sky is the latest beta for v5.

In the thread on the GSX forum, I was talking about the virtuali response about the problem.
This seems to be a common issue with many users with different add-ons and systems, and related with this menus.
@ FrLoio95,
"This has happened with the PMDG 737 and the FsLabs A320, when opening a transparent window (Ctr+F11 for Active Sky and Ctrl+F12 for GSX). Not in every flight, but frequenty, in comparison, I have been a user of the same Addons for P3Dv4 without crashes for years."

That's the problem(s) in finding a cause for the error/crash with your setup.
Intermittent, not in every flight with PMDG 737 and the FsLabs A320 (no default P3D aircraft mentioned).
And, Add-ons running in P3Dv4 are not the same as Add-ons running in P3Dv5HF2.
Best Regards,
Zhuravell

Post by Zhuravell »

I reinstalled and updated Win10 2004 a few days ago, vcredist 2015-2019 has been installed first. UAC disabled, P3D folder included in Windows Defender exclusions, Prepar3D.exe is run as administrator. Shortly speaking, I followed all the recommendations according to the AVSIM CTD Guide and suggestions in this topic. And I still suffer from random CTDs after pressing Ctrl+F12 (GSX menu) or Tab+S (SODE menu) or after requesting GSX services via Ctrl+F12 (if calling this menu does not cause the simulator to crash). In all these cases faulting modules are .NET Framework 4.0. ... (Exception code c0000005) and VCRUNTIME140.DLL.

My installed 3rd party add-ons are PMDG 737NGXu, ASP3D and GSX, nothing else. This setup was absolutely stable on P3D v4. Windows 10 and all P3D add-ons have been updated to the latest versions for P3D v5 HF2.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Zhuravell wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:15 am I reinstalled and updated Win10 2004 a few days ago, vcredist 2015-2019 has been installed first. UAC disabled, P3D folder included in Windows Defender exclusions, Prepar3D.exe is run as administrator. Shortly speaking, I followed all the recommendations according to the AVSIM CTD Guide and suggestions in this topic. And I still suffer from random CTDs after pressing Ctrl+F12 (GSX menu) or Tab+S (SODE menu) or after requesting GSX services via Ctrl+F12 (if calling this menu does not cause the simulator to crash). In all these cases faulting modules are .NET Framework 4.0. ... (Exception code c0000005) and VCRUNTIME140.DLL.

My installed 3rd party add-ons are PMDG 737NGXu, ASP3D and GSX, nothing else. This setup was absolutely stable on P3D v4. Windows 10 and all P3D add-ons have been updated to the latest versions for P3D v5 HF2.
@ Zhuravell ,
Were you using LM P3Dv5HF2 ATC ?

you mentioned:
"I still suffer from random CTDs"
How often is random?
Do you reboot your PC between each flight?

I just tested Tab+S, Ctrl+F12 and top menu selections with PMDG737NGXu, KDTW (gate A12), GSX (basic), P3Dv5HF2.
I did not use ASP3D in this test.
I did not use LM P3Dv5HF2 ATC in this test.
This was just to verify keyboard key combos did not crash.
No problems on my setup.

Note:
Instead of keyboard keys have you tried using the top P3D menu instead?

Best Regards,
airbader

Post by airbader »

Just got the crash again. Does anyone from Lockheed care to read this forum? Respond to users? I am more than willing to help troubleshoot, test, etc. etc. but doing so with other users on this forum is pointless at this juncture because the scenarios in which it occurs are so broad that we need guidance on what to actually test and share with LM if they need help figuring out why it's crashing. Are we really going to have to wait until 5.1 to see a resolution? This is literally game-breaking.
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

More info -- see the very last post by Virtuali explaining why this happens -- http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index. ... cseen.html

Apparently, the problem is confirmed to be caused by a bug in the standard semi-transparent Simconnect menu window which is also used by the default ATC, and it has been confirmed multiple times by multiple users it can happen even with NO add-ons installed, no GSX and just with the default ATC.

So the ball is in LM's court to fix.

SK
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
Matty21

Post by Matty21 »

LM quite happily take your money off you but won’t acknowledge there’s a problem sent them an email last week nothing back seems customer service ain’t there strong point.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Matty21 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:36 pm LM quite happily take your money off you but won’t acknowledge there’s a problem sent them an email last week nothing back seems customer service ain’t there strong point.
@ Matty21,

Are you still using Saitek Radio panels as mentioned in another post (link) ?
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 47#p223847

and having problems with the Radio panels and P3DV5 ATC-windows crash VCRUNTIME140.dll ?
Best Regards,
Matty21

Post by Matty21 »

Yeah the radio panel works here and there it’s not always on as such and yeah I’m getting the vcruntime140.dll but it happens with gsx actions. Or you thinking it’s the radio panel
airbader

Post by airbader »

Well, at least the spam bots seem interested!
Grand_Pubah

Post by Grand_Pubah »

Does anyone know if there is a temporary solution to this issue until LM can fix it? I'm getting this crash basically every flight now.
Keith (Grand_Pubah}
i7 13700k 3.4ghz MSI MPG Z790 Gaming Carbon Wifi Nvidia RTX 4080 FE 16gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB DDR5 5600MHz Windows 11 Pro (23H2) Prepar3D v5.4.9.28482 / v6.1.11 LG 34" Ultrawide Curved / ASUS 32" Curved
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

According to the Beta rumor mill (I can't divulge how I know this), LM is aware of this problem but cannot reproduce it on their default install. So, it seems we will need to do some detective work to see if we can figure out what the issue is. Here are some questions (feel free to add to the list):

1. Have you experienced this error with a default install and no add-ons installed?
2. What kind of sound hardware and driver version are you using (i.e. Realtek, etc)?
3. What screen resolution are you running at?
4. Have you tried turning off all add-ons and adding them back one by one?
5. What version of Windows 10 are you running (i.e. 190x, 2004, etc)?
6. What version of vcruntume140.dll are you running? To see this, open file explorer, navigate to c:\windows\syswow64, and right click on this file, select properties, then details and provide the version number. In my case, it is 14.26.287.20.3, dated 3/20/20, 5:57am. Please do the same thing for c:\windows\system32. For me, same version number, time is 5:54am.

The reason I am asking about #6 is that at least one developer believes the problem is due to mismatched dlls or the wrong dll version. And, if you are reading this and not having this problem, it would be useful to have the info also.

Let's try not to devolve into a discussion about who is to blame, but let's collect good data to see if there is a pattern we can supply to LM. I do not know why they won't post here about the fact they are aware of this but can't reproduce it.

Stay cool (it is 106 here in Tucson)!
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ Sky_King

Here : https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=15
(vcruntime error p3d v5)

You mentioned the problem was fixed for a week but then returned.

I asked a few questions (last post in thee topic) but you had not replied (yet)?

Are you using Saved flights to re-fly or creating new flights each time?

Do you use Time acceleration (2x , 4x etc) during your flights?

Do you re-boot PC between flights?

Have you tested a new flight using a default LM aircraft and without using Add-ons ?
Best Regards,
airbader

Post by airbader »

Sky_King wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:04 pm According to the Beta rumor mill (I can't divulge how I know this), LM is aware of this problem but cannot reproduce it on their default install. So, it seems we will need to do some detective work to see if we can figure out what the issue is. Here are some questions (feel free to add to the list):

1. Have you experienced this error with a default install and no add-ons installed?
2. What kind of sound hardware and driver version are you using (i.e. Realtek, etc)?
3. What screen resolution are you running at?
4. Have you tried turning off all add-ons and adding them back one by one?
5. What version of Windows 10 are you running (i.e. 190x, 2004, etc)?
6. What version of vcruntume140.dll are you running? To see this, open file explorer, navigate to c:\windows\syswow64, and right click on this file, select properties, then details and provide the version number. In my case, it is 14.26.287.20.3, dated 3/20/20, 5:57am. Please do the same thing for c:\windows\system32. For me, same version number, time is 5:54am.

The reason I am asking about #6 is that at least one developer believes the problem is due to mismatched dlls or the wrong dll version. And, if you are reading this and not having this problem, it would be useful to have the info also.

Let's try not to devolve into a discussion about who is to blame, but let's collect good data to see if there is a pattern we can supply to LM. I do not know why they won't post here about the fact they are aware of this but can't reproduce it.

Stay cool (it is 106 here in Tucson)!
It makes me feel a little better that there's a least a discussion happening... even if it's in the super-duper-ultra-secret-NDA'd beta forum even while every user is a beta tester at this point. Anyway,

1. Have you experienced this error with a default install and no add-ons installed? No, but only because I had a vanilla P3D install for all of 10 minutes.
2. What kind of sound hardware and driver version are you using (i.e. Realtek, etc)? I use a USB DAC that uses generic W10 drivers.
3. What screen resolution are you running at? 2560x1440
4. Have you tried turning off all add-ons and adding them back one by one? No. The crash can happen just opening the default ATC window. I see it more often when bringing up GSX's simconnect window.
5. What version of Windows 10 are you running (i.e. 190x, 2004, etc)? 2004
6. What version of vcruntume140.dll are you running? To see this, open file explorer, navigate to c:\windows\syswow64, and right click on this file, select properties, then details and provide the version number. In my case, it is 14.26.287.20.3, dated 3/20/20, 5:57am. Please do the same thing for c:\windows\system32. For me, same version number, time is 5:54am. I have 14.26.28720.3 for both 64-bit and 32-bit.