Aircraft titles 2 x everything

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
DaveB

Aircraft titles 2 x everything

Post by DaveB »

I've got both Prepar3Dv5 and Prepar3Dv4.5 installed. I've had at odd times on boot up a pop up stating I have two aircraft with the same titles, and I do know to go to the cfg to fix it. But the problem this time is much greater. P3dv5 is ok, but if I try to bbot up P3Dv4.5 I get the pop up saying I have two aircraft with the same title for every plane listed that is in the simobjects\Airplanes folder.

Now for the part I don't understand, If I remove all the aircraft from the folder "Airplanes" leaving just the boot up Raptor it boots up with out any of the pop up as you would expect. But if I open the "Change Vehicle" tab I can still see all the aircraft I originally had still listed and all are flyable, even though they are no longer in the simobjects\airplanes folder. Where is P3Dv4.5 finding these airplanes?
JorgenSA

Re: Aircraft titles 2 x everything

Post by JorgenSA »

Each aircraft model in the simulation, whether flyable or AI, has an aircraft.cfg file. In each of those files there are one or more [fltsim.x] sections, defining the individual aircraft of that model. The first line of each of these [fltsim.x] sections is a "title=" line.

This message comes up where then are two "title=" lines that are exactly the same, within the reach - or scope if you will - of the simulation on your computer. It is the last instance of the two found that is shown to you. The message you see also shows where to find this last instance found.

What to do - depends on your particular installation. You can change one of the "title=" lines, or you can delete the whole [fltsim.x] section defining that aircraft. In the latter case you'll have to renumber the [fltsim.x] sections if necessary.

It is also possible that your v. 4.5 and your v. 5 installations overlap, so that one sim accesses part of the other's aircraft.

I hope this makes what is happening more clear.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Yes I know all that Jorgen, I said it in my first paragraph. But it can't be any overlap of leakage from P3Dv5 as this version doe's not have many of the aircraft installed owing to not being compatable. So just where is P3D4.5 seeing these aircraft as they are not installed in P3Dv5.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

So, as I read your message, the issue is that your v. 4.5 sees every aircraft, installed in it, twice?

If this is correct, then my first thought is that somehow it reads the \SimObjects\Airplanes folder from v. 4.5 twice, but how on earth can that happen......

And I take it that this only happened after you installed v. 5...

I am grasping for straws, because I have never seen anything like this, but where are your v. 4.5 and your v. 5 installed? That sounds like a place where we should begin chasing this down.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

DaveB wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:35 am I've got both Prepar3Dv5 and Prepar3Dv4.5 installed. I've had at odd times on boot up a pop up stating I have two aircraft with the same titles, and I do know to go to the cfg to fix it. But the problem this time is much greater. P3dv5 is ok, but if I try to bbot up P3Dv4.5 I get the pop up saying I have two aircraft with the same title for every plane listed that is in the simobjects\Airplanes folder.

Now for the part I don't understand, If I remove all the aircraft from the folder "Airplanes" leaving just the boot up Raptor it boots up with out any of the pop up as you would expect. But if I open the "Change Vehicle" tab I can still see all the aircraft I originally had still listed and all are flyable, even though they are no longer in the simobjects\airplanes folder. Where is P3Dv4.5 finding these airplanes?
@ DaveB,

You had this problem before installing P3Dv5, correct?

“I've got both Prepar3Dv5 and Prepar3Dv4.5 installed. I've had at odd times on boot up a pop up stating I have two aircraft with the same titles,”
Just to verify, it does not always happen?

“ if I try to bbot up P3Dv4.5 I get the pop up saying I have two aircraft with the same title “
Do you have a screenshot of that pop-up for review?

“ If I remove all the aircraft from the folder "Airplanes" leaving just the boot up Raptor it boots up with out any of the pop up as you would expect.”
Does that mean you deleted all the files or moved them somewhere else?
If you moved them where did you move them to?

“But if I open the "Change Vehicle" tab”
Where is this tab?
Is it in the P3D program interface?

If you select to look at your Favorites aircraft list what do you see (screenshot)?

What did you do or change just prior to this problem appearing?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

JorgenSA wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:14 am So, as I read your message, the issue is that your v. 4.5 sees every aircraft, installed in it, twice?

If this is correct, then my first thought is that somehow it reads the \SimObjects\Airplanes folder from v. 4.5 twice, but how on earth can that happen......

And I take it that this only happened after you installed v. 5...

I am grasping for straws, because I have never seen anything like this, but where are your v. 4.5 and your v. 5 installed? That sounds like a place where we should begin chasing this down.

Jorgen
I had to unistall 4.5 and reinstall it, so it is a newer install than P3Dv5. Both are installed in the default Program Files folder. It is not quite the case it is reading it twice, I removed all the aircraft from the simobjects \ Airplanes folder except the Raptor. But when I boot up P3Dv4.5 all the aircraft are still listed when I click on "Change Vehicle" and as I've already said many of the aircraft are not installed into P3Dv5 so where is P3Dv4.5 seeing these airplanes?
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

To answer your questions in you r last reply.....

I got the pop up every time I booted up.

I deleted the airplane folder contents. So I can't do a screen shot untill I do another reinstall.

"Change Vehicle" tab”
Where is this tab?
it is the P3D program interface tab

It all kicked off whan I did a new install. I have uninstalled fully and reinstalled it now three times but the problem remains.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

DaveB wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:43 pm To answer your questions in you r last reply.....

I got the pop up every time I booted up.

I deleted the airplane folder contents. So I can't do a screen shot untill I do another reinstall.

"Change Vehicle" tab”
Where is this tab?
it is the P3D program interface tab

It all kicked off whan I did a new install. I have uninstalled fully and reinstalled it now three times but the problem remains.
@ DaveB ,

"It all kicked off whan I did a new install. I have uninstalled fully and reinstalled it now three times but the problem remains."

The full uninstall instructions are here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=125187
Best Regards,
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I did follow those instructions, but I'm willing to give it another go.

I've added a couple of screen shots. One pic shows the aircraft that are now in the SimObjects\Airplanes folder, you will see I have reinstalled my VC10 pro back into P3Dv4.5. The other pic shows 1403 veicles still loaded. That just cannot be correct. :(Image

As you can now see there are only a hanfull of planes in the airplanes folder but P3Dv4.5 is still seeing 0ver 1400 aircraft and they all still work.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ DaveB ,

When you Uninstalled did you Uninstall all your Add-ons first?

And second, did you follow these instructions ?:
The full uninstall instructions are here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=125187

And third, did you reinistall to a new / different P3D dirve / path (name) or did you “re_use” the previously used P3D (and registry) drive/path name?

Download and Install Steps are here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=120676

Note:
Screenshot did not show up.

How to Post Screenshots (by Kayla): https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&t=122277
Last edited by Martyson on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Well, for instance the Carenado Commander 114 (one of the default aircraft) and that Airbus A318 from Air France must be located somewhere within the reaches of v. 4.5, since they show up in the selection list.

If you use File Explorer and go to the root of the C: drive, then type "Carenado" in the search box on the top right, what do you get for search results?

Jorgen

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

JorgenSA wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:25 pm Well, for instance the Carenado Commander 114 (one of the default aircraft) and that Airbus A318 from Air France must be located somewhere within the reaches of v. 4.5, since they show up in the selection list.

If you use File Explorer and go to the root of the C: drive, then type "Carenado" in the search box on the top right, what do you get for search results?

Jorgen
Success Jorgen, Just reinstalled and it is fixed. The only thing I think I might have forget to do was shut down the computer after removing all the files.

But anyway all is ok now .... Many many thanks for your suggestions.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ DaveB ,

"It all kicked off whan I did a new install. I have uninstalled fully and reinstalled it now three times but the problem remains."

What was there about the 4th re-install that was different than the first three?
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Good show, Dave!

Happy flying -

Jorgen