Heading mode bug - Autopilot (GFC700)

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
ftnet305

Heading mode bug - Autopilot (GFC700)

Postby ftnet305 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 am

I have identified an irregularity when using G1000 GFC700 (Flight1Tech G1000 Student Simulator PRO).

In the real aircraft, the initially twisted direction of turn is beiing maintained. This is very important when entering a holding via parallel entry.

In P3D the autopilot does not recognize the inital turning direction but once the heading bug is twisted more than 180 degrees, it starts turning into the opposite direction. This is in clear contradiction of how the real system performs and is even dangerous as it might direct you on the unprotected side of a holding.

Please fix this issue. Thank you, Michael

Martyson

Re: Heading mode bug - Autopilot (GFC700)

Postby Martyson » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:37 am

I have identified an irregularity when using G1000 GFC700 (Flight1Tech G1000 Student Simulator PRO).

In the real aircraft, the initially twisted direction of turn is beiing maintained. This is very important when entering a holding via parallel entry.

In P3D the autopilot does not recognize the inital turning direction but once the heading bug is twisted more than 180 degrees, it starts turning into the opposite direction. This is in clear contradiction of how the real system performs and is even dangerous as it might direct you on the unprotected side of a holding.

Please fix this issue. Thank you, Michael
Michael.

"I have identified an irregularity when using G1000 GFC700 (Flight1Tech G1000 Student Simulator PRO). "

Maybe good to review your finding with Flight1Tech.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

ftnet305

Postby ftnet305 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:36 pm

I am happy to give you an overview of the (missing) functionality and want to point out that besides I am having mixed feelings in regard to Flight1Tech G1000 Student Simulator this is the only software I found which simulates the real G1000 in a way you can train IFR with a student.

Mindstar lacks integration and is only available until P3Dv3. It seems like they do not put much effort into it any more.

Simionic is a great simulation in regard to deep functionality, but uses iPads (iOS issues / discontinue of support...) and did not run very stable which is a KO criteria throwing them out of the game as well.

Realsimgear is basically for the US market and as I am in Europe, problems could arise from guarentee, shipping etc. Also I could not find a FAA AATD that is using Realsimgear.

I wanted to have the real thing with as much functionality I can get. Qualitywise the best hardware I found came from VirtualFly and I got their Yoko+, TQ3 and the G1000 suite. Criteria was also, that the same hardware is actually being used in EASA or FAA certified simulators, so not to expect any surprises. While also supporting X-Plane integration I decided to spent the money for professional software (Flight1Tech G1000 Student Simulator PRO needed!) as X-Plane´s depth of simulation is terrible making it rather a playstation game than a serious simulation. (sorry for all X-Plane fans)

So in regard to the G1000 Student Simulator I can tell you that flying on raw data is a great experience and that it does the basic job. It is capable of doing serious stuff and achieves the same as an AATD / FTPT II does. With Prepar3Dv5 and ORBX it performs better in graphics and user experience than some rather outdated flight school simulators which let you log time towards proficiency / ratings.

My experience for now:
I am using the software since 3 weeks now and am still in support issues. As the problems cannot be exactly addressed by now I just make up a list of shortcomings and issues related to lack of support from P3D, Windows, hardware etc.

Windows / P3D / hardware:

NAV / COM volume cannot be adjusted, pressing NAV does not identify the station, I need to press NAV button on the audio panel.
I have not found a good piece of hardware to run 2 Bose A20 (I want power supply and the exact feeling as if I am flying). The good FSX Dual-GA does not ship to EU as of certification issues.
no squelch function (always hearing yourself...), volume knobs on audio panel for pilot / copilot without function
no dimming function via PFD menu - partial panel training not possible like in the real thing
no atc playback

P3Dv5:
Turning error AP in heading mode (turning opposite direction once knob reaches more than 180 degrees)
ROL mode not correctly simulated - always levels off / bank angle not maintained (must level off below 7 degrees and hold higher bank angles)

P3D / F1Tech G1000:
no warning message after pressing clear on fpl (very bad, as it screws up everything and while learning the G1000 you will press CLR many times with the intention just to move back on page)
missing 8.33 channel spacing (especially with frequency selected from airport info, ATC instructions cannot be complied with, as any further change only utilizes further 25 channel spacing! (currently not an issue when flying in US)
no start up screens with the option to use older navcycle, overview of obstacle database etc.
SBAS / WAAS cannot be disabled (some pilots do and the next one flying does not realize he has no VNAV / LPV)
Raim check is generic and always positively predicted - it´s ok, but a few seconds check should be simulated
minimums cannot be selected within procedure page and must be selected via timer / reference
no holding option is given when directing to (so the entire holding page is missing - inbound / outbound, waypoint, min / NM, right / left turns)
warning message when about to enter airspace is missing
messages page does not show up, when acknowledging an alert, warning etc.
annunciator test option is missing in AUX page (checklist item!)
flight models partly unrealistic - no right rudder needed in c172 on takeoff run (currently investigated)
Safer Taxi add on outdated and non functional in P3Dv5
No larger development steps seem to be in the pipeline like implementing synthetic vision, Garmin G1000 NXi

Currently investigated issues:

Maybe an issue deleting approach when selecting an arrival (very bad if you have loaded up your operational flight plan) -
instability - maybe p3dv5 related - sometimes crashes when directing to, selecting approaches, arrivals, sid...(Europe affected)
maybe in conjunction with missing 8.33 spacing (or bad implementation from P3D)
problems with nav database in Europe - no ils course set, no automatic tune in of the ils frq

So as many issues I have addressed, the F1Tech G1000 Student simulator is still a very good piece of software and as long as there is nothing out there which does the job better, I will use it for flight instruction. Yet I would wish, that development would work on these issues like they do for full flight simulators where above mentioned shortcomings would be a definite no-go.

Hope to hear some feedback from other users and maybe some solutions for abovementioned problems. Thanks

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:52 pm

@ ftnet305,

What did Flight1Tech (Product Support) have to say?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

ftnet305

Postby ftnet305 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Not much until now. They told me that they are working on implementing 8.33 spacing

Return to “Other Support Questions”