v5 Cloud Flickering

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
vrdubin6

v5 Cloud Flickering

Post by vrdubin6 »

This is an issue I've been seeing with v5 and v5 HF1. In this video I'm only using a few ORBX items (base/LC/trees) as well as Chaseplane. I have tried a fresh Windows install, as well as different video drivers, disabling HDR and other various settings within P3D and I can't seem to get rid of it. I had the same problem with a vanilla install, regardless of add-ons.

In the video here you can see the flicker at :28, :32 and :40.

Any ideas on a possible culprit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnGwOAh ... e=youtu.be
flyblueskies

Re: v5 Cloud Flickering

Post by flyblueskies »

I have this problem too. For me, it's happening when EA is unchecked (True Sky is off). It happened with a vanilla installation and it happens with Orbx addon's.

It happened with no weather addon, and it happens with AS and ASCA.

I'm really surprised we are not seeing more reports of this...
Alox

Post by Alox »

I have seen this but only with tru sky is enable. Are you using nvidia inspector?. Regards.
flyblueskies

Post by flyblueskies »

No I am not using Nvidia Inspector.

Just to add a bit more information, I use Nvidia drivers 445.87.

The flickering occurs with default planes or with addon planes (Carenado).
remcosol

Post by remcosol »

I am having the same issues, only with true sky off. It seems to get better over time.... shader issue/shader building proces?
vrdubin6

Post by vrdubin6 »

Thank goodness I'm not losing my mind. I was starting to think I was the only one. I've tried multiple drivers, removed the overclock on CPU/GPU and messed with about every setting within P3D. I have EA disabled as well.

Here are some screenshots from my video showing the single frame when this happens. It is almost like entire sections of clouds just randomly disappear completely for a single frame.

Obviously much more noticeable the heavier the cloud cover.
brianv

Post by brianv »

I see this too, when truesky is switched off.
Alox

Post by Alox »

Hopefully this can be reviewed and fixed in the next hotfix.

Regards.
roshanfernandes

Post by roshanfernandes »

I have the same issue. It started after I turned off Hyper Threading in the BIOS.
vrdubin6

Post by vrdubin6 »

Still a major issue for me in HF2. This just kills immersion for me when flying with any cloud cover.
ggoodwin

Post by ggoodwin »

I see it too but not all the time. Trying to figure out if it is linked to dynamic texture streaming or possibly mountain locations where clouds are below terrain or some other graphics setting (switching back and forth between EA). It also seems to be tied to transparency problems where distant clouds can be seen through nearby clouds. The two still images above show that I think.
BMW969

Post by BMW969 »

How did LM comment on these flickering clouds? Or testers did not see flicker before release?
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

I’m also relieved I’m not the only one seeing this. Have cloud flickering frequently only when not using EA. I use ASP3D beta 6 with ASCA. Was present in HF1 and still happening with HF2. Cloud flickering seems to occur with simultaneous stutters. Feels like the sim could break (CTD) at any moment when the flickering occurs but it somehow continues to run. Not a smooth or pleasant experience though.
Rhett Kelly
P3Dv4 & P3Dv5
i7 7700K, MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GX+, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
BMW969

Post by BMW969 »

I confirm. Flickering occurs simultaneously with stuttering. I don’t understand how to get rid of it. While EA is in beta, we have not even been offered a classic atmosphere.
ice75

Post by ice75 »

Same issue for me. Im not using EA. I use ASP3D Beta #6 with ASCA. Clouds flickering sporadically.
CPU: Intel i7 12700K, MB: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WiFi 4D
GPU: ASUS ROG RTX 3080, RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3600
Addons: Orbx, various Airports, FSLabs A320/SL, Active Sky (EA On), Chaseplane