Need More Simconnect Message Windows

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
ark1320

Need More Simconnect Message Windows

Post by ark1320 »

There is frequently a need for more than one simconnect message display window. For example, I run Lua scripts via FSUIPC that display flight parameters (a type of HUD), that compute navigation information, display aircraft checklists, etc. In the past it was possible to simultaneously display information in multiple windows with each window controlled by its respective program (script), but that is no longer the case. Please consider providing this capability again in a future P3D update. Thanks.
Pete Dowson

Re: Need More Simconnect Message Windows

Post by Pete Dowson »

ark1320 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:04 pm There is frequently a need for more than one simconnect message display window. For example, I run Lua scripts via FSUIPC that display flight parameters (a type of HUD), that compute navigation information, display aircraft checklists, etc. In the past it was possible to simultaneously display information in multiple windows with each window controlled by its respective program (script), but that is no longer the case. Please consider providing this capability again in a future P3D update. Thanks.

This was never an FSX/P3D facility. In the 32-bit days it was all done by hacking into the code in Window.dll. For FSUIPC5 and going forward we vowed not to do any more such hacking. Sorry.

You could consider running your scripts under WideClient, using the wnd library in Lua. Personally I'd like to see the wnd library implemented in FSUIPC6, but I think John is perhaps rather too busy. You can run WideClient on the same PC alongside P3D by using a non-zero ClassInstance parameter in its INI. Of course you have to have WideFS registered.

But, yes, it would be nice if P3D supported multiple SimConnect displays via the proper interface. I hope L-M are listening.

Pete
My System

Win10: 22H2 build 19045.2728
Processor: I9 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Mobo: Maximus XI Extreme Z390
Memory: 32Gb at 3900 MHz.
GPU: RTX 24Gb Titan
Displays: 2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen
P3D5 set with 2 windows using ViewGroups