Adding a 3rd (smaller) monitor

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Maarp

Adding a 3rd (smaller) monitor

Postby Maarp » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:59 pm

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone else has come across this problem that I'm having. I currently have 2 monitors (one on top of the other) that I've been using for some time very happily. I wanted to add a 3rd, half size monitor off to the side to use for FMC systems etc that are taking up space on the top one currently.

I'm able to setup and configure this with no problem in Windows 10, the system finds it ok and knows where it is. Resolution is different to the other two of course.

The problem is that when I start P3D it insists on using the smaller monitor as the "main" screen, which is obviously ridiculous. I can't figure out how to convince P3D use the lower monitor as the main one with the other two as secondaries.

Would be grateful for your help.

Cheers

Warwick Finch

Aussie1234

Re: Adding a 3rd (smaller) monitor

Postby Aussie1234 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:13 pm

I presume you have one of your larger monitors set as the 'Primary' monitor in Windows? and the desktop extended to the others?
I change my cockpit set-up occasionally, adding or increasing the size of the monitors.
If P3D starts up on the wrong monitor (happens occasionally), I do the following:
1. let it open fully. 2. Press the 'Restore Down' button in the top right of the window. 3. Drag the program over to the desired monitor. 4. Press the Windows 'Restore Up' button. 5. Ensure P3D is happy and then close P3d. 6. When you then start the program (be sure to wait a minute to ensure P3D fully closes in the background) P3d should start on the correct monitor.
Aussie

Maarp

Postby Maarp » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:07 am

Hey Aussie,

Thanks for the advice, I think I've got it sorted. Probably most of the problem was unfamiliarity with monitor juggling on my part!

Cheers

Warwick

Aussie1234

Postby Aussie1234 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 pm

Glad you got it sorted.

I had the same situation yesterday afternoon when I swapped out one of my 50" monitors in my 737 cockpit :-)

(I now have a huge 75 inch monitor to my left, two 56 inch monitors to my front and a 54" covering my right window. Naturally, P3d started way over on the right window before I could move it to my left)

By the way, the in built P3d 'View Groups' work well for this if you can work out some alternative for displaying instrumentation.

Happy flying.
Aussie

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”