Trouble installing version 4.5

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
pots

Trouble installing version 4.5

Post by pots »

Afraid I really botched this. Deleted "professional client," then confused issue by dowloading entire 4.5 zip file. Opened it. While trying to install, ran out of disk space. Deleted other programs to create space. Again tried to install from full zip file. Response was "Prepar3D already installed. Do you want to repair or abort?" I chose repair. Result was no "scenery.cfg" file. What now after I messed up. My bad. I'd appreciate your expert help.

Running latest Windows 10 version and video card update.

Thanks very much!
Jerry Preston
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Re: Trouble installing version 4.5

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello pots,

Please let us know if this guide helps:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=126570

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
pots

Post by pots »

Hi Brady,
Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't checked it out...still wondering if I can find some solution. I downloaded each component to P3D4.5. Then I ran P3d.exe and the program loaded correctly. I rebooted and opened P3D as administrator. it came up with the opening page and the date showing of 5/30/17 and within seconds CTD. Not sure...looks like I've clogged the who P3D folder with ancient versions etc. Clean install?

Thanks,
Jerry Preston
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Jerry,

I am sorry to say this, but a clean install MAY be what you need to do, given what I see here. It may also be the easiest way to start with a clean slate.

But you need to, after you uninstall everything, and before you attempt to do the reinstall, to clean up the computer for any remaining traces of P3D.

You also need to make sure, of course, that you have enough space on your hard drive - and remember, if you only have 10% space left, you need a new, larger drive.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
pots

Post by pots »

Hi Jorgen,
Time for a clean slate! Nuts...oh, well. Thanks for your assistance. One final question: how do I make sure all the P3D files are gone after I delete through Windows 10? Thanks

Jerry Preston
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Before you begin your uninstall, open File Explorer and go to your C: drive. In the Search field in the top right-hand corner, type "Lockheed Martin".

Now, note down where the folders with that name are located, so you can delete them manually if the uninstall doesn't do that.

Also grab Ccleaner (the free version will do nicely), and after you're done uninstalling and deleting as described, use the Free Up Disk Space function in Control Panel to free up some space first. Then use Ccleaner to clean out first your file system, and then your registry.

That should cover it - others may have some additional ideas - if you do then pipe up and let's get Jerry going.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.