Monitor upgrade

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Snowfalcon

Monitor upgrade

Post by Snowfalcon »

Has anyone seen a performance boost after upgrading to a monitor with a higher refresh rate? I'm seeing new monitors with 75 and 144Hz refresh rates.
Snowfalcon13 KRTS The Valley of speed / PMDG Beta Test Team
Asus ROG Strix B450-f, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB DDR4 3200, 1TB Neo970 M2 SSD, radeon rx5700 XT 8GB
CplDaniel

Re: Monitor upgrade

Post by CplDaniel »

Not in Prepar3D. If you are pushing over 100+ frames, then you should up the textures, go to 1m landmesh resolutions and up the reflection and draw distances!!
I'm kidding (kind of). I think the problem with 144hz for your simulator is the inevitable draw to go tripple-monitor. That will become absurdly costly, pushing your hardware & financial resources into areas where it starts making a lot of sense to buy VR for flight like Pimax 5k+ instead.
Daniel
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

But, for what it's worth, here are some numbers:
The best deal I've ever seen for 1440p, 27" 144hz was an on-sale price of $279 @ NewEgg for the Acer XG270 [purchased circa Dec1,2018]. So that's $840 minimum for a three-screen setup, assuming the sale had not been LIMIT ONE PER CUSTOMER. Non-sale price at the time was $349, but I was anticipating Trump tariff risks in the near future to push prices higher, so may be around $400 per unit now, maybe not. Who knows...

So range from $840 to $1,200 for three monitors, and you are now firmly in interesting Big Boy's VR territory, likely to provide you with far greater new capabilities compared with a set of new monitors as the alternative. I would rate the Acer XG270 slightly over 3-Stars on a scale to five. It's great for personal use or keeping costs in check, but would propose the $499 ASUS IPS 144hz monitors as better for showcasing any demonstrations to valued clients.
Daniel
Snowfalcon

Post by Snowfalcon »

So will I see any improvement if I upgrade to ONE monitor with a higher refresh rate? As in less stutters or tearing?
Asus ROG Strix B450-f, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB DDR4 3200, 1TB Neo970 M2 SSD, radeon rx5700 XT 8GB
downscc

Post by downscc »

Snowfalcon wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:26 am So will I see any improvement if I upgrade to ONE monitor with a higher refresh rate? As in less stutters or tearing?
Forget display refresh rate, it's almost irrelevant to display quality with P3D. Many users are quite happy with 30 Hz and locked VSync if their computers are powerful enough. Also, stuttering is not caused by low frame rates, if the animation is not fluid then your settings are wrong for the system. Fluid smooth animation depends almost entirely on the CPU and GPU.

I'm using a 42-in Samsung TV about 24-in from my nose at 4K 60Hz and I love it. The display is crisp and any issues I might have with animation have nothing to do with the display.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Snowfalcon

Post by Snowfalcon »

Thanks, I get micro stutters on my system at times. FPS are usually 30 FPS in a busy airport and much higher in flight. And thats with PMDG T7/-8, AS4, Orbx global+Orbx Vector,AIG AI traffic, and PF3 Nothing overclocked just more aggressive fan curve on my GPU and SMT(HT) turned off on my CPU.

I was wondering if a better monitor would help.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Snowfalcon wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 pm Thanks, I get micro stutters on my system at times. FPS are usually 30 FPS in a busy airport and much higher in flight. And thats with PMDG T7/-8, AS4, Orbx global+Orbx Vector,AIG AI traffic, and PF3 Nothing overclocked just more aggressive fan curve on my GPU and SMT(HT) turned off on my CPU.

I was wondering if a better monitor would help.
I'm not sure how to interpret "micro stutters... at times." A micro stutter does mean different things to different folks. Regardless, the display probably has no impact on this. After all, you can watch a video without stutter on that display, correct? Also, frame rate and stuttering is usually unrelated except with the rate drops very low.

The bottle necks for animation performance are the CPU first and then the GPU. You haven't provided any info on what you have so I'm stuck at simply restating that the display is probably not your problem.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Snowfalcon

Post by Snowfalcon »

System specs are in my Sig...
downscc

Post by downscc »

I'm not familiar with your CPU, but I do find the rest of the components at the low end of the acceptable system requirements published by LM. Most definitely your stutters (still don't know the meaning) are not due to the display.
Dan Downs
KCRP
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Snowfalcon,

I just googled the Ryzen 2700X. If it is running at 3.7 GHz, then you have the cause of your stutters right there.

You need to get yourself up on the hot side of 4.5 GHz, that's it.

As Dan said, what is needed in P3D is CPU horsepower first and foremost, as measured by the clock rate. The number of cores does have an influence, but it is minor when compared to the raw clock rate. That clock rate is all-important.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Snowfalcon

Post by Snowfalcon »

Great...

Just built this system two weeks ago. Big upgrade from my FX8320 build. Hate to have to run out and put a 3700x in.
2700x should auto boost to 4.3Ghz as long as it stays cool without overclocking. Kind of how AMD CPUs are designed.

Everything in the box either meets or exceeds the published recommended specs for Prepar3d v4.x
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I would assume that the "auto boost" for AMD you mention is the same as the "turbo boost" for Intel, where the CPU increases the clock speed under high loads.

You don't need that, what you need is a permanent, lasting overclocking.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.