Using fps limiter bad stutters

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
ryanair007

Using fps limiter bad stutters

Post by ryanair007 »

So here is my problem in 4.5 you cannot use the internal fps limiter. if you put it at 30 fps like befour it stutters bad .
In 4.4 no problems set at 30 in game . i tried extenal limiters same result . i have a 1 ms and 144htz screen . i cannot use the 30 htz trick as my screen does not support it .

Any soloution . why does the limiter causse all the sutters ?

lateste nvidia drivers and windows 10 updats.

any help would be great .

best regards

Marco
downscc

Re: Using fps limiter bad stutters

Post by downscc »

I always use the frame rate limit, currently set at 24, and never see stuttering as a result of this setting. I am not using VSync nor anything addon that would impact display performance.

Your stuttering due to frame rate limit is a problem with your settings somehow, although I cannot imagine how to recreate your problem. Bottom line, it's not P3Dv4.5.12.
Dan Downs
KCRP
ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

So how can you explain this i downgrade to 4.4 and no more problems with the same machine and settings ?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I second Dan's words, no stutters on my system either.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
freddy_

Post by freddy_ »

I have a similar issue. If I set a value for the internal FPS limiter, my sim (v4.5 without Hotfix) stutters. My monitor does not support 60Hz at full resolution and, therefore, I am also not really able to use the 30Hz trick.

However, here is what I found (on my system) ...

At full resolution, my monitor's refresh rate is 75Hz. Half of 75 is 37.5. It's clearly not possible to set the internal FPS limiter to 37.5. So I tried a limit of 37. The stutters were almost non-existent (only a few, rare, micro-stutters). I tried 38. Same result; the stutters were almost non-existent (only a few, rare, micro-stutters). But if I try 36, 39, or any other number that cannot be (essentially) "evenly divided" in to 75, the stutters return. For the record, I am using VSync ON, Triple Buffering OFF.

Whilst this was a "good result" for me, I stuck to "Unlimited" frame rates, because the (rare) micro-stutters were noticeable enough and annoyed me. With unlimted, I get smooth flying and no micro-stutters, so I'll stick to that.

Perhaps, ryanair007, you can try halving your monitor's 144Hz refresh rate, and halving it again, giving a value of 36, and using that in the internal limiter? That may work for you. Of course all systems are different; and this "evenly divide" method may not necessarily give you the same results as I got. Nevertheless, it may be something to try ...
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Freddy,

If there ever was a candidate for the hotfix, you're it. That fix was, if I remember correctly, it was designed explicitly to get rid of stutters....

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

Hello Jorgen , that what i am using is the lastest build with hotfix included . i will do more testing today
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

For your settings, I suppose you have gone here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... ation.html

Jorgen

ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

those are additional tweeks , i have a untoched cfg . running the same setting as 4.4 but when i go in a circule i have lag and stuttering , if i put the liliter to unlimited its very smooth and no stutters but running at full fps which is no good in flight maxing out the graphic card
ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

downscc wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:30 pm I always use the frame rate limit, currently set at 24, and never see stuttering as a result of this setting. I am not using VSync nor anything addon that would impact display performance.

Your stuttering due to frame rate limit is a problem with your settings somehow, although I cannot imagine how to recreate your problem. Bottom line, it's not P3Dv4.5.12.
What screen are you using ? and how many htz are you running the screen at ?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

To get the max from your P3D, you'll need to tweak it so it fits your particular system.

If you do not do that, then all the fiddling with FPS limiters is of no importance.

And who chases FPS anyways? The object of the whole exercise is to get a smoothly running sim, and FPS is only part of that.

For FPS, you might want to read this: https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2014/03/ ... se-of-fps/

Do yourself a favor and set the internal limiter in P3D to 25 or 30 while you experiment with the other settings.

Jorgen

ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

what nvidia driver are you using ?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I use the most recent one, and have always used the latest available with GeForce Experience.

A lot of people have had trouble using GeForce Experience, I have used it since 2012 and never had an issue with it.

My card is a GTX 960.

Jorgen

downscc

Post by downscc »

ryanair007 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:12 am What screen are you using ? and how many htz are you running the screen at ?
I don't see how that is relevant but I am using a 42-in 4K TV currently at 60 Hz. Stutters are not created in the monitor or display rather it comes from one of many things within P3D such as rendering engine, simbojects, autogen and sometimes even the cloud display.
Dan Downs
KCRP
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Dan is absolutely correct, and that is why you need to tweak the system, which includes limiting the FPS, so the CPU gets to use its available clock cycles to do something else.

Jorgen