Upgrade advice P3DV4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
gerardwalschap

Upgrade advice P3DV4

Post by gerardwalschap »

Hello fellow simmers,

Thanks in advance for helping me out, i've been simming more than 20 years already but now I have some questions to ask concerning P3DV4 performance with my current system.

I have a pretty good working system now but since i've installed some addon scenery's i have some stutters that are rather unpleasant for me... So I want to upgrade my current system if possible...

I would like your opinion on what to do:
- buying more memory
- buying another video card
- save for a complete new system ( last option )
- other things I don't see right now??

Any help would be appreciated!

My current system:
- Windows 8.1 pro
- AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core Processor 3.70 GHz
- 8,00 GB internal RAM memory
- 64-bit controller ( x-64 processor )
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Thanks!

Gerard
Antwerp - Belgium
JorgenSA

Re: Upgrade advice P3DV4

Post by JorgenSA »

Gerard,

The processor and RAM are the weak points in your system here. Unfortunately, that most likely also means a new motherboard.

For the processor, I would suggest an Intel that runs natively at a high clock rate, but get a K-series of whatever model you choose, because the K-series can be overclocked. As an example, I have an i7 7700K, that runs 4.2 GHz out of the box, and I have that overclocked to 4.66 GHz.

The number of cores in the processor are not that important, the clock rate is the most important criterion for choosing the CPU.

For RAM, get at least 16 GB, and more if possible. Get as fast memory as you can. I have 16 GB myself at 2133 MHz, and that is one of the bottlenecks in my system, I plan on getting 64 GB at 3200 MHz when my budget allows.

Then you'll need a motherboard where all this fits, and there are many brands out there. Whichever brand you choose, the first thing you want to do when the system is assembled and running is to upgrade the BIOS on the motherboard to the manufacturer's latest level.

Have fun -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
gerardwalschap

Post by gerardwalschap »

Jorgen,

Thanks for your advice!

Do you think it wil bring a major difference when I upgrade my memory to 64GB?
I don't know what the price will be but maybe this will bring my system temporarely to a better level?

In time I will save for a complete system upgrade but now this is not possible...

Thanks!

Gerard
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

It will probably already make a difference if you just go to 16 GB from your present 8, which is a bit on the low side. Also, if it is possible (yep, I also know about budgets), make all the RAM in the system the maximum clock rate that your motherboard will accept. That may mean that you cannot use your present 8 GB, but then you might be able to sell that for instance on eBay.

Personally, I have found that my 16 GB is sufficient for P3D - at least right now.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Agree, 16 GB is plenty for P3D. I happen to have 32 GB because at the time I couldn't get 3600 MHz in a 16 GB set and I note that physical RAM use is rarely above 11 GB. The DRAM speed is not as important as CPU speed because of the extensive buffering and read ahead performed by P3D. I am running my 8700K OC at 4.8 GHz where it remains in the 60C range and I get pretty good performance. My next build will hopefully be something that can go to 5.5 GHz with liquid cooling because I don't want to go to refrigeration.
Dan Downs
KCRP
gerardwalschap

Post by gerardwalschap »

Ok, again thanks for the reply's!

I went to the computer shop for some information. The owner told me that it's not so interesting to upgrade my current system and just go for a new one.

I can add 16GB on my system but when I buy a new one I could not take the ram with me... So he also thinks it's a waste of money.

He advised me this system, what do you think of it?

- Intel Core i7 8700 CPU
- MSI GeForce RTX2070 GZ-8GB
- Coolermaster Masterbox Lite 5GB
- MSI motherboard B360
- 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD + 2TB HDD

Thanks guys!
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Gerard,

You might try to have a look at alternate.nl (I don't know if they are also in Belgium) or alternate.de and compare their prices to your local shop. They will also put your new system together for you.

They should also be able to get some RAM only, you might send them an email stating how much RAM you want and the type of your motherboard.

Jorgen

gerardwalschap

Post by gerardwalschap »

Ok Jorgen, will send them an email to ask... It's not something I will decide in 1 day... I'll still have to save a lot of money here ;)

Will the system the shop provided ( with the specs above ) fullfill my wildest dreams on flightsim level?

Thanks Jorgen for your time!

Gerard
harrry

Post by harrry »

you might like to change to a 4 t hd