4.3 HUD issues - blanks out on landings on some aircraft

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Martyson

Re: 4.3 HUD issues - blanks out on landings on some aircraft

Post by Martyson »

105OE wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:05 pm
Martyson wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 pmHow many pilots actually posted reporting the problem in this topic
That's now the 4th time that you are asking the same question...

Btw, when you first ask there were 2 users with this problem, in the meantime this number has tripled.
So, 6 pilots reporting this problem.

I would wonder if the Effects files mentioned are causing the problem for all 6 pilots reporting the HUD problem?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

This is most likely due to a transparent object ordering bug we identified after the release. Our next update should have a fix for this issue. Thanks again everyone for your patience and detailed reports of the problem.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
105OE

Post by 105OE »

You are most welcome and thanx for the update :) :)
Btw, noticed that one can experience this bug indefinitely when taxiing/flying (extremely low) over a snow covered hard surface runway as well and the blowing snow effect is active.
My airplane art:
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bernt-stolle
Daube

Post by Daube »

Martyson wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am
Daube wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:04 pm Just to report that I see the same issue with HUD disappearing totally or partially sometimes.
And it didn't happen only on the ground, but also airborne.
It happened with the default F-22, but also with the Tomcat by Dino. I don't remember if it happened with the Tomcat by Aerosoft though...
Also, I clearly remember it happened while approaching an aircraft carrier, during my last turn to short final.
I'm using P3Dv4.3 on Windows10, with a GTX1070ti. Not sure about my driver version though.
How many monitors are you using?

I use 2 monitors.

I have never had a HUD problem (normal flights / carrier ops) in FSX, P3Dv3.4 or P3Dv4.3
flying the default F22, VRS F/A 18E or PMDG737
I used only one screen in the past, and now I use a VR helmet.
Problem also occurs in VR.
I could see it very clearly just yesterday, using the DG-808 glider, a default plane imported from FSX. The cockpit is very close from the ground, so the problem tends to be very visible: the canopy glass seems to dissappear upon landing on grass. After full stop, the problem disappeared. I'm starting to think a ground effect might be involved (no addons installed for ground effects).
However, this doesn't explain the disappearing HUD during carrier approach (in flight, then no ground effect)
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

Glad to see the problem is now confirmed and will be fixed. Thanks for the sim.
105OE

Post by 105OE »

HUD issue and taxiing on soft surfaces/snow covered runways issues fixed since P3D4.4 for me :) Thanx a lot :) :)
My airplane art:
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bernt-stolle
raschetnov77

Post by raschetnov77 »

Hello! The problem with the partial disappearance of the HUD on landing is not fixed from version 4.3 to 4.5 inclusive. There is no information on the forums from the creators of Flyinside from the creators of P3D. If someone managed to find a solution to this problem, please write a solution. I think the whole community will be gracious. Thanks in advance.
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

I found the HUD cut issue, or prop half cut was fixed. Try starting a flight in the aircraft with HUD on a grass runway, preferable with mountains to fill the HUD. Make sure you move forwards as that made the HUD disappear.

If it's OK, then the HUD cut on landing will be a different issue to the Z ordering they did fix. Will help the developers track it down.

Can you give a specific example? Airport landing at, aircraft used?
chicagoboy

Post by chicagoboy »

Just confirming I still have this issue. Happens with Q400 regular windows or any aircraft that has HUD. From what I gather no one really found a suitable temporary fix? I don't remember this ALWAYS being the case... clearly something changed in my sim, but I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be. Had it in 4.4 and updating to 4.5 didn't do a thing.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

chicagoboy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 pm Just confirming I still have this issue. Happens with Q400 regular windows or any aircraft that has HUD. From what I gather no one really found a suitable temporary fix? I don't remember this ALWAYS being the case... clearly something changed in my sim, but I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be. Had it in 4.4 and updating to 4.5 didn't do a thing.
Are you on P3Dv4.5HF1?

I am still testing it (waiting for all my payware to be updated for P3Dv4.5HF1).

If you have a video showing the problem maybe I could try the same default P3D Jet/HUD/airport/approach.
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

The headline gives you all the clues as to where this issue and this thread is going - nowhere!

To get an issue worked on, you must be at the most recent version of the application - at the time of writing v. 4.5 with the hotfix - and stay on that version. Reporting a problem with v. 4.3, then going to 4.4 and 4.5 and hotfix, reporting that the issue is still there and then going back to 4.3 will get you nowhere.

No developer will squander resources on developing fixes for legacy versions. Resources are limited and will go into work on the most recent version.

Reporting issues with add-ons here (an issue in many other threads) and expecting the application developer (L-M) to solve these will also get you nowhere. If you experience continued issues with an add-on, and its manufacturer and/or tech support either doesn't care or doesn't fix the issue quickly, then vote with your feet, demand your money back if possible and stop using the product.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

The users says it happens with V4.5. I felt it polite to try and help.

Don't worry, I have learnt my lesson about this forum.
raschetnov77

Post by raschetnov77 »

Hello. I repeat that HUD does not work as it should be versions 4.3 to 4.5 inclusive, not about any old versions of the question. The problem remains unsolved in version 4.5. Thank you for understanding. We look forward to solving the problem.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Mole_man99, I am sorry you take it that way. My remark was not in any way intended to put down those who try to help fellow users, and if you felt that way I will apologize.

As I understood the user's issue, he went back to 4.3 after trying 4.5, and it is not ever going to be working in 4.3, that was my point. And, since this apparently is an issue not happening to everyone, even with 4.5 (for me it doesn't), the earliest you could expect to see this resolved would probably be in v. 4.6 or 5.0, whichever the next version will be.

My remark should be understood as a comment to all those totally unrealistic expectations, that some users set for themselves about L-M fixing every single issue with any single version, we see across so many of the threads in this forum.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

raschetnov77 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:41 am Hello! The problem with the partial disappearance of the HUD on landing is not fixed from version 4.3 to 4.5 inclusive. There is no information on the forums from the creators of Flyinside from the creators of P3D. If someone managed to find a solution to this problem, please write a solution. I think the whole community will be gracious. Thanks in advance.
I am testing my setups with P3Dv4.5 HF1.

HUD is ok on approach and landing on my setup.

I did a video of an approach and landing at KORF if needed (it has stutters because of my testing setups and running video capture software on an older PC).

Edit:
I do not use Flyinside.
Best Regards,