Kernelbase.dll crash

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Freccia

Kernelbase.dll crash

Post by Freccia »

Hi, for a couple of days I have been experiencing a rather annoying error. Almost at the end of flight P3D v 4.4 (Academic License) suddenly closes and I can't understand why.

I checked the Windows event viewer (8.1 64 bit) and found this.

Name of the application that generated the error: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.4.16.27077, timestamp: 0x5bfdbb35
Name of the module that generated the error: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.19269, timestamp: 0x5c5e079f
Exception code: 0xc0020001
Error offset 0x0000000000008e6c
Process ID that generated the error: 0x1120
Start time of the application that generated the error: 0x01d4e53d24a101c5
Path of the application that generated the error: F:\Programmi\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Path to the module that generated the error: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

I searched online but I couldn't find anything conclusive. I have scanned for file system integrity (SFC / SCANNOW) but it looks ok.

Settings NVidia OK.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? I do not know what to do.

Thank you.
downscc

Re: Kernelbase.dll crash

Post by downscc »

Kernelbase errors are not uncommon. They are hard to solve because there are very few clues. Make sure you are not overclocking and that all drivers are up to date.

I had this error awhile back and I solved it by using DDU in Windows safe mode to remove all NVidia files and folders and then download a current driver from NVidia and installed it. This has to be done in safe mode because some of the files are in use by the operating system and cannot be removed in normal windows operation.
Dan Downs
KCRP
edpatino

Post by edpatino »

You´re not alone. For almost two months now (it seems after upgrading to P3Dv4.4 from v4.3), I started to suffer from this kind of crashes, almost every time P3D closes down after a flight session, as checked with the App Crash Viewer in Windows 7. In two or three occasions, the crashes are within a flight session, but the rest is hapenning just while P3D is closing down.
I have, as you did, checked the system files by using sfc \scannow and found nothing. I´ve additionally employed DDU (as mentioned in the previous post), in safe mode, and made sure it cleaned up the existing NVidia drivers before re-installing them again. It seems that all these actions are not sufficient, and that I should look also for other remedies.
My next step will be to let P3D rebuild its configuration file and manually restoring my settings afterwards.
Any other suggestions are welcome!.
Cheers, Ed
downscc

Post by downscc »

Please report the solutions when found... these events are difficult.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Freccia

Post by Freccia »

Today, another time. Despite all the tips read on the web, the solution still does not arrive.

I think the developers of Prepar3D have to take the problem seriously.

Raven100

Post by Raven100 »

Hi, I have also been experiencing Kernelbase.dll crashes but only when flying Just Flight's Stinson Sentinel. The crash either happens about 20 mins into a flight or on approach into Orbx's Compton Abbas from Colerne (my standard test flight).

Does anyone else have this confined to a specific aircraft and a potential solution? Have run DISM & Scannow with no problems identified and uninstalled / reinstalled the Sentinel package.

Am concerned that the problem might start to occur with other aircraft so would like to try and fix.

Thanks!
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

The best first step is to go through our general debugging steps here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246

We haven't seen this crash in internal testing. This may be isolated to either a specific add-on or combination of installed add-ons. If you are only seeing this crash with certain add-ons installed please reach out to the developer as well so they can isolate the issue.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
bvdboomen

Post by bvdboomen »

I've had this issue too and solved it by removing Carenado's cmeteoxml.dll.
The dll file seemed to crash p3d when running a weather engine, REX Sky Force in my case.
Raven100

Post by Raven100 »

Thanks Rob; have tried some of the debugging measures but will complete the set and see what happens. Am also raising via the JF forum.

Thanks also bvdboomen; will have a look in the Sentinel files as am running REX Skyforce alongside AS16 so there may be a link there. Am also aware that JF have said that some of their products experienced Simconnect issues with v4.4 but am unclear from them whether the Sentinel was one of them and if so whether it was updated.
Raven100

Post by Raven100 »

This one has become odder. I think I have isolated the problem to the two Stinson Sentinels "liveries" I use most often, both of which are part of the Aeroplane Heaven product, not third party repaints. Thye used to be fine but now cause a CTD between 16 & 19 minutes in regardless of landclass add-on. Conversely, using one of the others seems to be fine regardless of landclass add-on. I am assuming there is some kind of conflict with the most used but have no idea how this might come about. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the whole package and that has not fixed it. Everything else flies fine. Will reach out to AH but any other thoughts would be welcome!
IanHarr

Post by IanHarr »

I had a very odd set of crashes, which I eventually found were due to the pagefile setting being set to zero. My system needs the extra memory to cope. When I increased it to a reasonable amount the crashes went away.

Ian Harrison
Raven100

Post by Raven100 »

Thanks Ian. Have adjusted up to the limit recommended by Windows but so far no solution. On the last test flight, I made it to Compton Abbas sooner than usual due to a tail wind and was on the ground before it crashed, suggesting I think something Simobject related at about 19 minutes rather than scenery related. Just not sure what might be happening at that point to knock it over...
edpatino

Post by edpatino »

Just to report and share, as a follow up of my first report on this thread, after doing several checks on my system, like corrupt system files, etc., on which nothing was found, I let P3D rebuild his config file and the kernelbase crashes continued. I did not go through every step recommended by LM to debug, mainly because that implied to verify addon by addon, to see if one or more, or combinations of several of them were causing the crashes. I thought that process was going to be endless, and decided to give up. In fact, most if not all of my kernelbase crashes were just when P3D was closing down, after a sim session.
Three days ago, for reasons of installing a new version of the MaddogX, I temporarily disabled my A/V (Kaspersky Internet Security). Curiously, most of the kernelbase crashes were gone when I run P3D with the A/V disabled, even of the P3D directories and related folders outside the P3D root are excluded from A/V scanning.
When I say most of the kernelbase.dll are gone, I refer that so far, in three or four out of five P3D closing attemps, I´m not getting any errors at closing.
Explanations to this?. I don´t have any. Most probably in some way my A/V was interfering with something or some addon installed on my sim.
Cheers, Ed
Raven100

Post by Raven100 »

Thanks Ed, am only using Windows Defender which (as it keeps reminding me) is turned off. Have gone through a complete loop of the crashes occurring with other aircraft, updating everything I can think off, moving to 4.5, taking a chance on registry cleaning and rebuilding shaders I am back to the original problem, except...that I have run a couple of flights without Rex Skyforce and magically no CTD. I can find a few threads which suggest that there was a problem at 16 to 19 minutes when it was first released but no definitive fix and nothing recent. Will now try reinstalling Skyforce and see if that fixes it (having updated it). At the risk of heading down a new rabbit hole, as I understand it Rex's new Environment Force can "talk to" use Skyforce without it actually running...might be a workaround?
ZKIWI

Post by ZKIWI »

I had also been experiencing KernelBase.dll crashes after upgrading from 4.4 to 4.5. I ended up reinstalling P3D but still got them. They seem to have gone away now and the only things i did was delete the Prepar3d.cfg file and let P3D rebuild a new one, and deleted the Shaders folder and allowed that to be rebuilt.

Since doing this i have flown for three flights of three to four hours with all my addons enabled and working on my computer in the background while the autopilot kept me on track. That would always end in a crash and a KernelBase.dll error but so far all is fine.