Overexposed photo scenery in 4.5 and 4.4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
ibelarry

Overexposed photo scenery in 4.5 and 4.4

Post by ibelarry »

I have the same issue in 4.5 (updated client and content only following poppet's instructions to the letter) as I had in 4.4 (updated client and content only following poppet's instructions to the letter) with photoscenery areas especially roads and parking lots being overexposed-discolored bluish or white in both ORBX scenery and other photoscenery. Deleted shader cache. Tried all different graphics and lighting settings including default. HDR on/HDR off, dynamic lighting on/off did not make a difference. Uninstalled envtex and envshade and PTA still no difference. I don't use Active Sky. This issue has been reported on other forums ORBX and AVSIM by multiple users and on this forum already http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=132191
JorgenSA

Re: Overexposed photo scenery in 4.5 and 4.4

Post by JorgenSA »

I don't see that in either 4.4 or 4.5, but then again I don't have ORBX, for instance.

What happens in default 4.4 and 4.5, that is without ANY add-ons whatsoever?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
ibelarry

Post by ibelarry »

This issue which was introduced in P3dV4.4 has been reported by multiple users across 3 forums- ORBX, AVSIM and P3D. Just wondering if this issue is going to be fixed in the upcoming hot fix in 4.5 or do we have have to wait until P3dv5!
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

We changed the default HDR lighting values back to 1.0 in v4.4 (brightness, bloom, and saturation). These were 1.1, 1.0, and 0.8 respectively. Does changing these back make a difference in what you are seeing?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Winghigh

Post by Winghigh »

I am having the same problems with overexposed photoreal scenery in 4.5. I have literally tried everything I can think of. HDR On/Off. Many variations of graphics settings within options. deleted my prepar3d.cfg file and let the program build a new one. Deleted shader files. uninstalled the client and reinstalled so my shadershs..(sp?) were rebuilt. Ran with ActiveSky on and off with clear skys. I do not use any shader programs. Uninstalled/reinstalled content and scenery. I use Megascenery Earth. I seem to be having the biggest issues with Nevada and Missouri. If I load KLAS it looks like a snowstorm hit since everything is practically white. In 4.4 Nebraska was beautiful but now similar problems with 4.5. I purchased Nevada an Missouri after 4.5 was made available. Areas that are green and lush look fair but roads and fields are white or even purple. I also use Orbyx and I've tried every combination w/wo it installed. One thing that is odd is I have Megascenery ultra res cities for Omaha and Kansas City and they look great. They're not Megascenery V3 versions though. Not sure if that means anything.

My system is an i9-9900k 1080ti windows 10 with1809 update(this was recent) All of my software and drivers are the latest versions. I'm at a loss. I was about to try a new install on different PC because I just don't know what to do and nothing seems to help. Any assistance/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Could this be an issue with sky textures being replaced with third party textures? I believe some of the lighting behavior comes from pixel data contained in a sky texture. Of course, I could be completely off on this. Just a thought.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
ibelarry

Post by ibelarry »

Hi Rob and WarpD

Do not use HDR. I uninstalled both PTA, Envdir and Skyforce and then reinstalled P3Dv4.5 using Poppet's instructions to the letter and all photo scenery even where it is used in ORBX is overexposed a bright white most noticeably on photo scenery roads and parking lots. MegaScenery v3 has the most issues. Really want to solve this issue and not have to roll back to 4.3. Thanks!

Larry
Saldo

Post by Saldo »

HDR on / my PTA preset / FranceVFR PACA 1 / P3Dv4.5

No issues with PR scenery, being it Orbx, Mega Scenery Earth, FranceVFR etc...

https://youtu.be/ad4lh1tcqDk
ibelarry

Post by ibelarry »

I have attached screenshots with ORBX TrueEarth NE and LTBS with EOLC along with my current settings:
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

It is because you've cranked the brightness and dropped the saturation. It's going to destroy the color vibrance of the actual textures and highlight any bright areas even more than they would normally be. By dropping the saturation, you're reducing the color levels and then increasing the brightness makes areas with less color brighter than normal.

I don't think brightness should ever be higher than 1.00 and I myself tend prefer 0.80 brightness, 0.70 bloom, and 1.10 saturation. Makes it have more color but not overwhelming brightness.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
ibelarry

Post by ibelarry »

Hi WarpD

Sorry not the fix as I am not using HDR! I have tried using HDR and dropping the brightness but that did not do a damn thing!
BMW969

Post by BMW969 »

Hi guys! Did you manage to solve the problem? I have a lot of purple textures.
Bill721

Post by Bill721 »

I agree with WarpD. Turning up Saturation and turning down the brightness, and bloom needed to be done after going to 4.5