VR Controllers in 4.5

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
sunjunkiesi

VR Controllers in 4.5

Post by sunjunkiesi »

Can I just find out if VR controllers are usable in 4.5? I notice in the changelog that there are some vr enhancements, but they are pretty generic sounding.
Kayla Dillon

Re: VR Controllers in 4.5

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

The controllers are only able to be used when creating portals for VR/AR. You can read more in our documentation here:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/ ... AROverview

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi »

OK thanks - the answer I guess here is no. Using VR controllers as "hands" is much more suitable so for now p3d will remain uninstalled on my machine. Currently within x-plane you can use controllers to manipulate yokes, switches, engine controls etc to facilitate muscle memory when remembering work flows and emergency procedures. Having to fumble "in the dark" for controls that will probably not match the location of those in real life (apart from people that have a full cockpit available) does not assist with training at all. How long do you think it will be before p3d has this feature? Until then I am afraid it is not useful as a training aid in VR at all, really only being a showcase for the technology rather than a genuinely useful tool for training.
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

We can't discuss and future plans for Prepar3D; however, we appreciate any suggestions and feature requests provided. We're constantly looking for ways to improve the platform and always welcome advice from the community.

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi »

Thanks Kayla

My advice would be simple. Make this a serious platform for VR by having usable VR controls.