Poor FPS Performance on multiple monitors

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Ph_737NG

Poor FPS Performance on multiple monitors

Post by Ph_737NG »

Hello,

I have been tinkering with the set-up of P3D now for the last week or two. I'm building a full-size 737 cockpit to be used with this sim and am planning on running 3 projectors with the sim.

After installing a majority of the add-ons I want and tinkering with settings to get decent performance I am finally starting to add more displays. Currently I'm just using three monitors(1080P) in lieu of three projectors to get things running good.

The problem is the very second I add a new view my FPS drops in half. My CPU/GPU usage don't budge and are nowhere near maxed out, but the FPS is reduced by nearly 50%. Then upon adding the third view the FPS are pretty abysmal down to about 9-12FPS. The sim is surprisingly smooth for how low the FPS are but it is still nowhere near as good as it is with one monitor.

On the single monitor I am typically running 30-70FPS depending on weather and scenery. (Areas like LAX/SFO are on the lower side of that) My sim settings are fairly moderate, but not maxed. It is puzzling to me that my GPU and CPU are not phased by the addition of views but for some reason my FPS have such a significant drop. What could be causing this issue??

More on CPU/GPU, the entire duration (tested multiple times after changing some settings in NVIDIA and in the sim) my CPU rarely broke 50% and my GPU rarely broke 45% usage. I'm not encountering stuttering, just low FPS.

NOTE: I have only added a view using the "New View" option. Would there be a difference in performance by using "View Groups" or the NVIDIA Surround? Alternatively I tested just stretching the window across all monitors and going into full screen and performance seemed to have not been touched. However when trying to create a wrap around visual I don't think this option will be viable.

PC Specs:

Windows 10
i7 8700K 6 core/12 Thread up to 4.7Ghz
850 Watt PSU with high performance liquid cooling
NVIDIA GeForce 1080Ti 11GB
32GB DDR4 @ 2933Mhz
512GB M.2 PCIe SSD (OS) (P3D is on this drive)
2TB SATA for storage
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Poor FPS Performance on multiple monitors

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Yes, you should see a performance difference using view groups. There's a default group that will create a view on each display. You can also manually configure view groups if desired. The Learning Center has more detail on this. Does this give you better results?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Ph_737NG

Post by Ph_737NG »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:46 pm Hello,

Yes, you should see a performance difference using view groups. There's a default group that will create a view on each display. You can also manually configure view groups if desired. The Learning Center has more detail on this. Does this give you better results?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Thank you Rob. I tried it using view groups and there was no performance hit at all. (at least not one noticeable)
Saldo

Post by Saldo »

The more views the more fps hit you will get.
It doesn’t matter if you use view groups , extra camera views or 2 extra new views..