[RESOLVED] Using PDK Sound Service

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
flyboy7798

[RESOLVED] Using PDK Sound Service

Post by flyboy7798 »

In a class that is responsible for playing a specific .wav file, the header has the following:

Code: Select all

#include <atlcomcli.h>

#include <Pdk.h>
#include <InitGuid.h>
#include <ISoundService.h>
P3D::IPdk* pIPdk = nullptr;
CComPtr<P3D::ISoundServiceV440> pPdkSoundService;
CComPtr<P3D::ISoundInstanceV440> pPdkGearWarningSoundInstance;
LPCWSTR pszFileName = L"sound.wav";
In the accompanying implementation, the class constructor (exception handling removed for simplicity) has this:

query_pdk(P3D::IID_IPdk, (void **)&pIPdk);
pIPdk->QueryService(P3D::SID_SoundService, P3D::IID_ISoundInstanceV440, (void**)&pPdkSoundService);
pPdkSoundService->CreateSoundInstance(pszFileName, P3D::SOUND_GROUP::SOUND_GROUP_COCKPIT, P3D::VIEW_POINT::VIEW_POINT_INTERIOR, TRUE, FALSE, FALSE, (void **)&pPdkGearWarningSoundInstance);
And finally in a function call to play the sound I have this:

pPdkGearWarningSoundInstance->Play();
I would like to know if this arrangement would work or if I have missed something...thanks in advance!
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Using PDK Sound Service

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Are you seeing any issues with the sound playing?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
flyboy7798

Post by flyboy7798 »

I tested it last night and this morning never made it into the simulator. This is the error:

Debug Assertion Failed

File:D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\atlmfc\include\atlcomcli.h

Line:182

Expression: p!= 0

...and even with a breakpoint, I couldn't get it to break where I could see what was causing the failure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
flyboy7798

Post by flyboy7798 »

Update to the above:

I know that this is because I'm calling a function through an uninitialized pointer. And most likely its this line didn't do the initialization on pIPdk,

query_pdk(P3D::IID_IPdk, (void **)&pIPdk);

and this is the call that probably threw the exception because of it,

pIPdk->QueryService(P3D::SID_SoundService, P3D::IID_ISoundInstanceV440, (void**)&pPdkSoundService);

...pIPdk was not initialized. It tells me I've missed something...is there some other step required to initialize the pIPdk pointer?

Also, I went back over the code and saw this in the API documentation:

IID_IPdkv01

So now this line of code reads

query_pdk(P3D::IID_IPdkV01, (void **)&pIPdk);

Testing now. Thanks in advance for the assistance
flyboy7798

Post by flyboy7798 »

Same failure...
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

What does query_pdk return? I assume this is from the gauges.h and you've verified that other gauge api functions are working properly?

As for the

this should be

pIPdk->QueryService(P3D::SID_SoundService, P3D::IID_IID_ISoundServiceV440, (void**)&pPdkSoundService);
You will need to get the service before you can create an instance.

Mike
flyboy7798

Post by flyboy7798 »

Answers to your questions,

What does the query_pdk return?

I can't tell because even with breakpoints at the proper points the exception is thrown before I even get to a breakpoint. When I select retry on the dialog Prepar3D CTDs and the debugger quits.

I assume this is from the gauges.h and you've verified that other gauge api functions are working properly?

Yes to both. The class that this code belongs to is a non-pdk based class, I wanted to try to play a sound via the service for an individual class that is part of a larger "system." This class is not the driver class that contains the module_init and module_deinit, it is a class that belongs to a subsystem, an aircraft component, of which there are many classes/objects like it which are combined as components and grouped into subsystems. I use a SimConnect Adapter class to provide access via that channel. So there is no problem getting and setting Avars and using Lvars. I got to a requirement where a sound needed to be implemented and thought if query_pdk can provide an interface to request services, then I wanted to try to play that sound via the PDK, instead of a separate sound solution. The entire aircraft has been in unit/alpha test for quite some time and didn't start failing until I tried to use the PDK.

I'll try your suggestion and respond...And thank you again for a fast answer!
flyboy7798

Post by flyboy7798 »

Mike,

Thanks so much. That seemed to have done the trick. At least it got me into the simulator but the sound instance didn't play the sound...so at least I got this far without crashing the sim. Off to go figure that one out.

Before I do, another question if I may. When using this way to integrate the PDK into what is essentially a non-PDK solution (at this point in time), is there some canonical or idiomatic steps to getting a service (beyond the sound service)?

V/R
Jim
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but wasn't the crash with the query_pdk call? The suggestion I gave you was for the subsequent call for the sound service, which would not be possible without successfully calling query_pdk, right? Is that working for you?

Mike
flyboy7798

Post by flyboy7798 »

I changed the code as you suggested, and now the aircraft code/DLL runs in the simulator, but for some reason, it won't create the sound instance...here's the stuff in the constructor (exception handling/debug stuff removed for simplicity):

I've declared these in the class header file:

P3D::IPdk* pIPdk = nullptr;
    CComPtr<P3D::ISoundServiceV440> pPdkSoundService;
    CComPtr<P3D::ISoundInstanceV440> pPdkGearWarningSoundInstance;
    LPCWSTR pszFileName = L"sound.wav";
...and this is the class constructor in the implementation file:

query_pdk(P3D::IID_IPdkV01, (void **)&pIPdk);
    pIPdk->QueryService(P3D::SID_SoundService, P3D::IID_ISoundServiceV440, (void**)&pPdkSoundService);
    pPdkSoundService->CreateSoundInstance(pszFileName, P3D::SOUND_GROUP::SOUND_GROUP_COCKPIT, P3D::VIEW_POINT::VIEW_POINT_INTERIOR, TRUE, FALSE, FALSE, (void **)&pPdkGearWarningSoundInstance);
That last line is the one that fails. Also for some reason, I can't seem to hit a breakpoint in the constructor to read the HRESULT value.

V/R
Jim
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

You may want to try providing the full path in your sound file name.

Mike
flyboy7798

Post by flyboy7798 »

That got it...thanks again.