[RESOLVED] V4.4 black screen after scenario start

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
nitro

[RESOLVED] V4.4 black screen after scenario start

Post by nitro »

Hey,
After starting a scenario, i only get a black screen in the application window, no toolbar.
I have tried all the tips i could find, as i had the same problems in V4.3.

Greetings,
nitro
Doc_Z

Re: V4.4 black screen after scenario start

Post by Doc_Z »

Do you have FsLabs A320? If so, that may be the problem. Disable or remove it until they update.
nitro

Post by nitro »

Yes, i have the airbus, but as stated, the problem was alos existent in V4.3 and before i bought the bus...
Also, i have not enabled the bus in 4.4
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

We will need some more specific information to help:
Does this happen with default settings?
Does this happen with any scenario?
Does it always happen?
Is it just after loading, or does it happen at startup with the default scenario?
Which tips did you try?
Have you gone through the general debugging steps?
viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
nitro

Post by nitro »

Ok,
1. yes, the game starts up and without any change i just press start.
2. Yes, it does not matter what i choose
3. Yes, exept for when the stars allign and something just switches.... after about 1-5 times of doing the tips found here: viewtopic.php?t=130221
4. The small loading box runs through and after that, the screen remains black
5. these mainly, since they worked sometimes in V4.3
6 yes i did, without success
Wills

Post by Wills »

I’ve observed this too after deleting generate shaders. The seem to take a significantly longer time to generate than they used to in 4.3.

Nitro, how long have you waited at the black screen? Give it at least 5 minutes and see if it’s just excessively slow rather than not working at all.
nitro

Post by nitro »

I have just tested that again, screen still black after over 20 minutes
refields

Post by refields »

I occasionally get that too but just restart P3D and that fixes it. It seems to happen for me after changing planes. I haven’t been able to get a reproducer, though. Had it in 4.3, now have it in 4.4. Don’t have the Airbus.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Sorry you are still experiencing this. Can you provide more information about your computer, including the GPU model and driver number? Typically the screen is black for a few seconds on the first load while shaders compile. Parts of the shader compilation and creation process are carried out by the graphics driver. These compiled shaders are stored in the shaders folder in local app data. After clearing the shader cache, can you confirm that new files are being added there at startup? That would at least confirm that some of the shaders are compiling. You could also enable content error reporting. If there is a compilation error in a shader, I belive it should spit our a content error report.

Another thing to try would be going into the settings and turning everything down/off. Different settings trigger different variations of shaders to compiler.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
nitro

Post by nitro »

CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1500X
GPU: Nvidea GTX 1070 (Driver version 416.34) also had the same problem with a AMD Radeon RX480 on v4.3

The shader folder gets filled with 240 shader files, after emptying it.

I have activated the content error reporting, but there are no logfiles in the Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files folder.
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

I have had this issue when changing an aircraft or airport at startup the screen goes black. I press the prepar3d button on the task bar, the menu returns then i select ok and the scenario starts. Same for me in v4.3
Try it.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

I’ve had something similar happen under 4.4. I resolved it by uninstalling and then deleting every directory associated with P3d including my saved flights from 4.3. I also ran a registry tool that deleted invalid p3d entries. I then re-installed and the problem was resolved. Not sure sue what caused it but I do know that some files stick around after you uninstall.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
nitro

Post by nitro »

NormanLGibson wrote: I have had this issue when changing an aircraft or airport at startup the screen goes black. I press the prepar3d button on the task bar, the menu returns then i select ok and the scenario starts. Same for me in v4.3
Try it.
Tried, but did not work... thanks for the tip anyways
Sabre57 wrote: I’ve had something similar happen under 4.4. I resolved it by uninstalling and then deleting every directory associated with P3d including my saved flights from 4.3. I also ran a registry tool that deleted invalid p3d entries. I then re-installed and the problem was resolved. Not sure sue what caused it but I do know that some files stick around after you uninstall.
I just reinstalled P3D, deleted the folders beforehand; i don't like going in the registry though, exept for i i know exactly what i'm searching for... too risky

Anyhow, that seems to have fixed it, i will continue to monitor it though, perhaps i can find the culprit at some point.

Thanks guys