4.3 HUD issues - blanks out on landings on some aircraft

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Martyson

Re: 4.3 HUD issues - blanks out on landings on some aircraft

Post by Martyson »

Quick test at 27W Orbx Global base P3Dv4.3 F22 HUD ok

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

I don't have the issue in UK where I have ORBX products. Orbx add to the terrain.cfg. Perhaps still something up with default grass texture runway?

Also have you taken off then landed. I did this last night on the ashphalt texture runway which is fine during takeoff, but the problem reappears after landing.

I have a developers licence with second purely default install on the modelling computer. Older graphics card and different nvidia drivers. Same issue on that one too.

Be nice to track down the culprit.
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

In your screenie you don't appear to be moving. All is fine when I first load 27w. It is only when moving that the cut HUD happens

Some findings below;

On the completely default modelling computer I have tried some different surfaces, and noted it is any soft surface with the particle effect around the wheels that has the issue
Tested these ones;
Issue with
Grass
Snow
Dirt
Sand

No issue with
Concrete
Clay
Steel Mats
Ashphalt

I then tried the flightsim computer, with many addons including orbx. At grass airport EGHY Truro, all is good. I disabled orbx England and all was still good. I disabled orbx vector and it went bad, same as on the default modelling computer.

Re-enabling vector one by one, I found the scenery listing orbx_cvx was the one that corrected the issue. Odd as it is a load of bgl's for corrected waterbodies roads etc. vtp line stuff. I was expecting it to be elevation corrections, but it wasn't.

The default p3d v4.3 seems to have an issue of some kind relating to soft surfaces.
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

Is there any advice LM on how to clear the issue? As it also happens on a default install computer, different card different drivers, I am at a loss.

Other user on avsim reports the same. I think less report it as p3d seems to not be in favour for bush flying, so not many using single props at grass airports?

Maybe 4.4 resolves it. Will just have to wait I guess.
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

I have made a workaround of sorts, while maybe a permanent solution come in next update.

The issue seems to be created by fx_tchdrt.fx. I have disabled it by replacing with an empty fx file with same name. The issue has gone, but of course you lose the particle effect around the wheels on soft surface.
Daube

Post by Daube »

Just to report that I see the same issue with HUD disappearing totally or partially sometimes.
And it didn't happen only on the ground, but also airborne.
It happened with the default F-22, but also with the Tomcat by Dino. I don't remember if it happened with the Tomcat by Aerosoft though...
Also, I clearly remember it happened while approaching an aircraft carrier, during my last turn to short final.
I'm using P3Dv4.3 on Windows10, with a GTX1070ti. Not sure about my driver version though.
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

I wonder if an effect kicks in when you see the issue, like wingtip vortex?

My limited knowledge says it is something to do with z ordering of transparencies.

Still hoping this all just goes away with V4.4.
105OE

Post by 105OE »

mole_man99 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 pm The issue seems to be created by fx_tchdrt.fx. I have disabled it by replacing with an empty fx file with same name. The issue has gone, but of course you lose the particle effect around the wheels on soft surface.
Just removed all fx_tch effects and (apart from these effects) now everything else works.
No more blanked out HUD at touchdown, no more half circle without window reflections and prop effects.

I do hope this helps LM with troubleshooting :)
My airplane art:
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bernt-stolle
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Daube wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:04 pm Just to report that I see the same issue with HUD disappearing totally or partially sometimes.
And it didn't happen only on the ground, but also airborne.
It happened with the default F-22, but also with the Tomcat by Dino. I don't remember if it happened with the Tomcat by Aerosoft though...
Also, I clearly remember it happened while approaching an aircraft carrier, during my last turn to short final.
I'm using P3Dv4.3 on Windows10, with a GTX1070ti. Not sure about my driver version though.
How many monitors are you using?

I use 2 monitors.

I have never had a HUD problem (normal flights / carrier ops) in FSX, P3Dv3.4 or P3Dv4.3
flying the default F22, VRS F/A 18E or PMDG737
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

105OE wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:28 am
mole_man99 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 pm The issue seems to be created by fx_tchdrt.fx. I have disabled it by replacing with an empty fx file with same name. The issue has gone, but of course you lose the particle effect around the wheels on soft surface.
Just removed all fx_tch effects and (apart from these effects) now everything else works.
No more blanked out HUD at touchdown, no more half circle without window reflections and prop effects.

I do hope this helps LM with troubleshooting :)
Are these default P3D effects that you removed?

Should all pilots be seeing these Hud problems that have not removed the effects files?:
blanked HUD at touchdown /half circle without window reflections and prop effects.
Best Regards,
105OE

Post by 105OE »

Martyson wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:46 am Are these default P3D effects that you removed?
yes
My airplane art:
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

105OE wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:31 am
Martyson wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:46 am Are these default P3D effects that you removed?
yes
I have never removed any effects (P3Dv3 or v4).
Never seen the problems reported here with the HUD.
I use Win7-64.
Best Regards,
105OE

Post by 105OE »

Thanx, yes we know that. Everyone who follows this thread knows in the meantime that you don't experience this problem with your outdated GPU and OS.

I don't know why you feel the need to post this over and over again.

Apparently there is a problem with 4.3 and some GPUs/drivers. (no problem with 4.2 and FSX accel)
I'm just posting my findings and it hopefully provides a clue to LM why this happens!

Maybe you have noticed that I'm not the only one with this problem.
My airplane art:
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

105OE wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:17 pm Thanx, yes we know that. Everyone who follows this thread knows in the meantime that you don't experience this problem with your outdated GPU and OS.

I don't know why you feel the need to post this over and over again.

Apparently there is a problem with 4.3 and some GPUs/drivers. (no problem with 4.2 and FSX accel)
I'm just posting my findings and it hopefully provides a clue to LM why this happens!

Maybe you have noticed that I'm not the only one with this problem.
About my out dated GPU and OS.
When I see that newer GPU's and the newer Windows OS are not giving problems with each of their product update(s) I will consider getting new hardware (PC).

"I'm just posting my findings and it hopefully provides a clue to LM why this happens!"
Me too.

Just wondering:
How many pilots actually posted reporting the problem in this topic, not counting me?
Best Regards,
105OE

Post by 105OE »

Martyson wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 pmHow many pilots actually posted reporting the problem in this topic
That's now the 4th time that you are asking the same question...

Btw, when you first ask there were 2 users with this problem, in the meantime this number has tripled.
My airplane art: